Notices

Weekender Thread 07-10 September 2018

Old 09-08-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((Leigh))) Sorry you're going thru hard times. Sending prayers your way.

Well, Jack and Billie and the cats are back to their normal routine now. The first day back, Jack didn't finish his breakfast or dinner. But he's eating it all now. Billie's been sitting in my lap a lot, maybe to make up for the week I was gone.

Tomorrow my brother is going to a football game to watch the Cleveland Browns lose again. I'm not into sports at all but I feel kind of sorry for them.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders
I haven’t popped into the last couple of weekend threads but I’m back now
I have shared this on other threads but I wanted to share it with you here and it might explain my absence the last few weekends, and maybe even help someone who might be struggling with grief and battling the AV.

These last few weeks have been very difficult and devastating. Some of you already know that very sadly I lost both my dear Mum and Dad a week apart, to unrelated illnesses. I’ve had so many temptations to give in to the bottle, the AV has been at times very insistent, telling me to just give up trying, to pick up a drink. I had so much grief, sadness, despair and felt the utter pointlessness of it all, which could so easily have led to me picking up a glass. Or even just necking it straight from the bottle. I came very very close to drinking quite a few times. It would have been so easy to drown my sorrows in the bottom of a bottle, but one bottle wouldn’t have been enough and it would have led to more bottles, and more, and more, and so it goes. It’s that realisation of the reality of my drinking that stopped me from having that first drink on several occasions. Because I’ve finally realised that it’s never just one. And drinking doesn’t solve anything. The problems are still there when we wake up, and then we have to deal with those same problems with a hangover, feeling like complete utter crap. But even with this realisation there were a few times when I didn’t even care about the consequences. I thought so what, I’ll end up a homeless drunk, I don’t care, it’s better than the misery and hurt of losing both my parents. Dear old Dad. And my beautiful, precious Mum ❤️

And that’s what stopped me from picking up that first desperate drink. My Mum. The memory of my mother’s eyes looking at me with such love in her final hours. Her just looking into my eyes with such love and peace. That is what stopped me from drinking again. I will be forever grateful to her, for her love and unwavering support. I loved my Dad too, but it’s my Mum who was always there for me, no matter what. And she’s still always there for me, no matter what. So I will not drink. For Mum. To honor her. And for me, because I deserve a better life than can be found in the bottom of a bottle ❤️

Drinking is not worth it. Don’t pick up that first drink. It won’t fix anything. We have to fully feel the hurt and the pain that life throws us. So that we can also fully feel the love and the joy that life brings.

It’s a glorious beautiful day here, absolutely magical. And I will carry the love and support from my parents out into this beautiful day and share it with others. The love and beauty, generosity and compassion of my parents can live on in me.
I’m sending love and support to you all ❤️❤️❤️
Old 09-08-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post, Willow!

Thank you so much for sharing it.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

3.20am this time - cats are smart! You get into a sleeping bag, so they just change tactics - cunning little gits they are - and they walk all over your pillow, meow in your face and then turn around and give you the ring piece.
Definitely SO getting the plant sprayer on Monday.
Anyways - nice to 'see' you in the wee small ridiculously stupid hours
I'm TOO soft with animals - wanted to be a Vet but I was crap at Science so became a nurse back then.
I'm rambling so I'll shut up
Hugs to all from a sleepy Zanna xxx
Old 09-08-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congrats on 90 days mantlady!
Hope you treatment does need to go on too long Leigh.
It was my favourite Rugby glass Venus, nothing else will do. Ah well, Maybe I'll go to the thrift store and find a big ol' coffee mug.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days Mantalady! That’s awesome ❤️
Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thinking of you and sending good thoughts Leigh
Congrats ML!

D
Old 09-08-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.

Willow I was not aware for your parents and I would like to offer you my condolences. Losing loved ones really sucks simple as. It's great however to have you back with us in the weekender.

Least I bet Billie and Jack were glad to see you...

Congrats Manta.

My back is in bits this morning after my pickaxe work in the garden yesterday. Ah well getting old and the L5S1 disk is nearly non existant so better get used to it.

Captain Haddock how is the weekend going ...?

Hope all the weekenders have a great Sunday.

V.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks Vman ❤️ It all happened in rather a rush as my Mum got suddenly sick and passed away in hospital within days and then just after her funeral my Dad died too, and his funeral was this week, so I was caught up in it all and not posting on SR much, but I’ve come through it somehow without drinking for which I’m very relieved right now.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:44 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Huge hugs Willow. Xxx
Hi everyone. Well done Manta. Hope your treatment remains low pain Soberl.
How's the bucket list going Glimer? Huge hugs to you too.xxx
Sorry not to name check everyone but as usual I'm on my phone and have a Dory memory! Feeling very low still and am fed up with myself!
Xx
Old 09-09-2018, 01:12 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Prayers, Willow

I have worked out the conspiracy folks. All this time we had it around the wrong way...dogs take their 'owners' to human parks for exercise and toileting.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Prayers, Willow

I have worked out the conspiracy folks. All this time we had it around the wrong way...dogs take their 'owners' to human parks for exercise and toileting.
Thanks PJ ❤️

And the cats who are the real authorities are at home laying around after having given orders to their staff (the dogs or the humans depending on the home situation)
Old 09-09-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning Weekenders!

Petals, I'm sorry you're having a tough time. But remember the saying, 'This too shall pass.' On my tough days, I take a walk, read, nap, eat fresh food, sometimes even just sit and look at the view. I take very good care of myself. I hope you feel better!

I'm a dog person … I have three. Couldn't get through a single day without them. They force me to hike when I'm lazy, they make me laugh when I'm bummed out, and they always want hugs when I also need hugs. I've always wondered if they get sad when I come home and open a bottle of wine … do they know that means I'll be drinking instead of playing. Maybe not, maybe they're just dogs … But I can say being sober has meant I'm much more active with them -- and everyone else!

14 days today. (I've been sober much longer overall, but with slips I'm still at day 14. This time I'm not going to slip. I like piling up the days!) I was very nervous about this weekend, and happy I made it through. Thank you all for your support!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Congratulations, MantaLady and Zoeydog!

I'm sorry you're still having such a rough time, Petals. I hope things take an upturn soon.

I have just finished my bucket list trips. The had been one more I was scheduled to go on this coming week, but I canceled it. The Florida trip was more than enough to satisfy my capacity for luxury.

Plus, I would have been in charge of spearheading this week's trip from start to finish--and I just mentally and emotionally wasn't up to being responsible for managing the activities,

So I cancelled. I thought by now my health would be more of an issue, but thank God, I'm still doing pretty well health-wise.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning and happy Sunday to all. Congraulations for making to Sunday and may whatever trouble us quickly pass.

It's been raining here all weekend. So another weekend with no progress on digging out the future garden area. I guess I should've started it earlier.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Mr

So how is everyone's Sunday mozying along...?

Dragon the one advantage of the rain is that when you do go digging the ground won't be like a rock.

It's time for some ice-cream and peaches here in vmans land. Pretty happy with my weekend.

Sao is MIA.?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I wish I had ice cream and peaches now, Vman. I’m melting in the sun while trying to sell some stuff on the flea market. It’s much warmer and sunnier than the forecast said it would be!
It’s a real struggle not to spend all my money on snacks from the Mexican food truck which is right next to me and it smells so good!
Old 09-09-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Oh that sounds so good,,old fashioned vanilla ice cream and fresh peaches,,,,drool,,,

badge
Old 09-09-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
It's time for some ice-cream and peaches here in vmans land.
a keen idea!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just sat in a lovely country pub having tea after doing the navigation map reading course. Was lots of fun and the weather didn’t turn out to shabby either. I am totally shattered though and will post a pic later of the views in the lakes, stunning! What a great way to celebrate 90 days sober! xx