View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.
I've had a very stressful last few weeks at work and with other stuff. I feel overworked and overwhelmed.

These are the times I used to "unwind" and "relax" with booze. I used to tell myself I "deserved" to have a bottle of wine or so when I was feeling this way. Of course, it was completely counterproductive, because the time spent drinking and recovering was time I could have spent getting things done so I wouldn't be so overwhelmed. Not to mention that drinking only added to my anxiety, in the long run.

So now, I just try to get through these times the same way I approached early sobriety. Take deep breaths. Feel the feelings. Take care of only the things that are actually mine to take care of, and let the rest go, or at least set them aside until later to look at. Realize that I'll get through it somehow. Set aside some "me time." One day at a time. One hour at a time. Whatever it takes.

It's not easy. But this, too, shall pass.

Next week I'm going fishing with my boyfriend and his brother for four days in far Northern Minnesota. No e-mail, probably. Maybe no cell phone service at all. It will be a much-needed break for all of us, but at the same time, the to-do lists will continue to grow while we are gone. So it comes with its own stress, trying to take care of vital things before we leave. I'm trying to feel happy we are going, but also feeling dread about what things will be waiting for me when we get back. I hope I can relax some. And catch some big fish.