Notices

Class of August 2018 Part Three

Old 08-27-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

Guess I will jump in here. I quit Aug 26.
Looking forward to meeting you all and sharing our stories.
These Class group thread are awesome motivators.
I posted in Newcomers a little about my past.
I originally came on SR in 2011 as Purplecatlover but lost my PW and email. Anywho, SR helped me quit and stay sober for over 5 yrs. I was in Jan class of 2012.
Recently had some bad experiences and surgeries that left me in a lot of pain. Got down, frustrated and started drinking again.
It’s been almost a year now but gotten way worse and kindling is fo real.
My blood pressure has been high and it’s taking its toll on me.
So here I am.
I know I can’t drink ever again.
There is no moderating, no matter how many years abstinent.
I am what I am. An alcoholic and I have to quit for my life, child and husband.
Godspeed all.
Onward and upward!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Goodnight everyone! So glad to hear all the good news, people making it through those first tough days. I'm thinking of you all and wishing you an easy time. Thanks for being here, you all are in my mind a lot, and helping me more than you know.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I love August 2018. Completing day 2. Very thankful for the people here. And for a 2nd day sober.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I love August 2018 too, Oregongirl! This is our month...it's got to be, right?

Welcome back, Jam! Wow...5 years is amazing...I'm glad you're in this class.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Welcome back Jam13

Quitnow, I'm so glad you made it through day 1. I've followed your fight and man oh man you have been wrestling. I hope you get a good nights sleep and wake refreshed and ready for day 2

I finished my evening with rewatching Jane the Virgin first episode and drinking a tonic and lime. It is one of my favorite drinks as it is a bit bitter and I love lime.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hi folks,

Apologies to all for not being more active. Life has been full and complicated as usual.

I was on day 20 something last week and a friend of mine committed suicide. My response was to drink a case of beer and try and pretend it didn't happen. Of course that didn't work, I just felt poisoned and terrible for a day.

Back on day 4 now again. My emotions have been doing the dead cat bounce... I think today is bottom in terms of my immediate recovery.

Pretty empty now. Yeah, just empty.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Welcome Jam13, so glad you joined us!

Forester, I’m so sorry for your loss, suicide is such a sad way to lose anyone, I lost a nephew several years ago to it, and a close friend of my daughter last year. I’m glad you pulled yourself out of the drinking spiral, it doesn’t bring any relieve, only added misery. Hugs to you!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Forrester I too am grieved for your loss. But so glad you are with us here. I need this place.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats QuitNow
welcome Jam.

I'm sorry for your loss Forrester.

D
Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Day 30

Welcome Jam - Five years is amazing. We have a lot to learn from your experience.

QuitNow - Well done on Day 1 again. Getting started again is the hardest thing.

Just got back into England. Having breakfast but will update in a few hours. It was tough at times to go on a mini-cruise so early and not a challenge I would have accepted if I hadn’t booked it when still drinking (not recommended).

Regards,

JT
Old 08-27-2018, 11:08 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hi all my fellow classmates

I agree, everytime I come back here the thread has sprouted more pages! Wonderful . I read all your posts, welcome to all who joined, stay with us.

To all who slipped - not to worry - I think of when my daughter would have a fall from her horse , and her instructor just said, "Ok, wipe the tears, dust yourself off, put your hat on, and get the heck back up "

JT; are you getting back today? We will all be waiting for you at the harbour when you dock - holding our torches high to welcome you home

Bob : Hope u feel better. Sorry to hear about your health

Pixy : Loved your post
The party ended long before I stopped .I stopped wanting to be at the party even when I was at the party
Mike : 20 days ! Whoo-hoo. Stay strong

Karen : 1 week today , yay! How was it back at work? Loved your "God-box" idea. As for your D in law - I think you are much to kind. If they are living with you , set down some rules and boundaries. Ask her to help around the house ?

I also had to venture into the liquor store (on day 2) to buy my hubs whiskey --- I was so scared, but sooo aware of how awful it smelled in there. Why did I never realise that before?

Barbs , I also lost my post yesterday. I think I pressed "preview" and then forgot to click "submit"

RecoveryWoman; I'm sad that you feel you don't want to stay , because in my first days of detox this site is the ONLY thing that kept me going.

Yesterday was day 4 for me, starting day 5. I was sooo vigilant on day 3 (because I read how many people struggled on 3) . It passed without any major probs. And then , day 4!! Well, let me tell you - my AV is a sneaky beeaacchh!!! She was lurking around the corner , chuckling, saying "Oh, you expected me yesterday, did you? Guess what , here I am today !!!" Wow , did I struggle yesterday . Just proves again that we must stay ever-vigilant . Sneaky bl@@dy monster !! I read a book where the author calls the AV (excuse language) the "F@ck-it Fairy"

Have a blessed, good day and stay strong xx
Old 08-27-2018, 11:11 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Forrester , forgot to say how sorry I am about the loss of your friend . Especially as he /she ended their own life . That is always so shocking and hard to bear.
So sorry
Old 08-27-2018, 11:30 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Kath, RecoveryWoman and Oregonsitegirl.

Recoverywoman - there are no expectations here - it's a support thread - sometimes we need it and sometimes we give it.

If it's all too much now thats fine - keep posting in the main forum tho. Staying connected is really important

I'd say the same to you Quit - the only way I got through those first few days was sitting on SR the entire time.

It may have been a drastic solution, but I had a drastic problem...and I didn't drink.

RAL - I've seen you handle life in a very graceful and capable way when you were sober. Don't let yourself be seduced by the idea that you need to drink over anything to cover any kind of weakness or lack - its simply not true.

congrats to all those hitting milestones today be it day one or day 100

D
Thank you for your kind words dee. They brought a tear to my eye. I know drinking doesn't help anything. I also have a health concerns which is preying on my mind although got a referral next eeeee so hopefully all will be OK.

I haven't read everything yet just wanted to thank you dee. I hope you are doing ok and looking forward to summer 😊 thanks for all you do for us all
Old 08-28-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Sober369 and chloedog, this naked mind is a book for recovery.. It is about changing one's mindset on drinking, so far it's really good, I'm about a quarter through. Any book on recovery is definitely worth a shot..
My apologises zoeydog I just realised now..
Old 08-28-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Sober369 - Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated and will try the suggestions.
Not sure about what I believe in but I did actually say a prayer this morning and now I'm on hold to the first major call I have to make to start trying to fix everything and save the house and job.

I'll check in again later and thanks again and sending strength to everyone on here too.

Post again later once this long busy day is done.

K
Old 08-28-2018, 01:26 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Evening all. I found today harder than yesterday, that wee devil on the shoulder decided to pipe up, as it does. Work was busy and it thought in my mind, yes a wine will do her just nicely....so I stayed at work just a bit later, did a yoga workout which I'm just a newbie too, which killed time. I have realised that I really have to have a list of things I can do that can keep me busy up until 7pmish.
My partner got out his bottle of rum and poured himself a drink, eeeekkkkk, I took a big gulp of my herbal tea and pushed away those thoughts. Unlike me he can have 1 and stop, which he has already tonight. I often think why can't I just be happy with 1 and be ok, I don't drink to oblivion but I need more than 1 once I have 1, just like all of us. I think there is always this feeling in the background that I'm not being honest with myself, not fully honest anyway and it sits in the back of my mind lurking waiting for me to bring it to the forefront, something I'm scared to do I guess, cause what devil wants to be accountable lol you can't take it back once you own up to it.
Anyway, I have made it through day 5.

Ayers - I can't believe you survived going to the bottle shop on day 2!! what torture, I take my hat off to you.

JT - glad ya made it back safely and sober. Your posts are always an inspiration, your "story" has always had me interested in how you are doing and how you are coming along on your journey, as I am sure many here feel the same.

Forester - Sorry to hear about your loss, you have our support here.

Everyone else I hope you are pulling through your days with resolve to keep fighting the winning battle, just remember you have done A sober day before so you know you can get through this one....kia kaha
Old 08-28-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Red, I agree about keeping a list to get us past 7 p.m. Any change of routine helps, otherwise it's just too tempting to swing by the store for a bottle of wine. Keep up the good work! (PS, thanks for book recommendation. I've got a few others, too, that I'm planning to pick up today.)

I am starting Day 3 by reading everyone's posts, and feeling strong. I went to dinner last night with friends who usually drink a lot, but the wife was pregnant and so happy to have another non-drinker at the table! That was a really nice surprise, and although I wasn't tempted to drink, still made it easier. Social evenings sober are so much richer! I really connect more …

Have a great day, everyone. And I suspect I'll be back late this afternoon for a jolt of inspiration to get me past the 5 p.m. witching hour!
Old 08-28-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

P.S. StartingoverNW, I just read your initial post from yesterday (?). Very honest and heartfelt … I really appreciated it. So many of these posts really put it all out there, and help carry us all forward. Sorry, I'm blabbering. But I really want us all to make it!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Morning all. Day 21.

Welcom Jam

Forester I’m very sorry for your loss. I’m glad you are here posting. Keep leaning on us.

To you guys who are rebounding after slipping up, you’re doing great. The important thing is that you are not giving up. You are coming right back here, posting, and learning from your experience. You guys can do this.

JT, you’re killin’ it man. Day 30 is awesome. Congrats!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Karen, congrats on day 6, you're doing great!

Kit - thinking of you. I hope things go well today.

quit - so glad you made it through day 1! I always find comfort and strength when I talk to God too

odaatcat - great job on day 2!

startingover - Glad AA went well and you were able to connect with a potential sponsor. Congrats on day 3.

Jam - Wow, 5 years, you can do it again! Welcome.

oregongirl - well done on day 2.

forester - so sorry for your loss. Glad you're back.

jt - well done making it through the cruise sober

Ayers - you're doing great. Way to stay on top of that AV.

Red - well done on day 5. It's tough finding things to keep busy. Especially after a long day of work. Yoga has always helped me too.

Zoey - day 3, you got this!

Day 29 for me. I still feel a bit anxious from that concert on Sunday. Or should I say, from my husband's behavior at the concert. He is such a great, smart, and funny guy. I don't know why he behaves so badly some times. We have talked about it a million times and he just doesn't seem to get why I have a problem with it. Hoping the therapist will be able to help shed some light on the issue when we see her on Thursday. Unfortunately, this is something that leaves me wanting to isolate myself. Not a healthy thing for me to do. I need to find a better way to handle it. Thursday is too far away...

I hope everyone finds the strength for another sober day.