Notices

Weekender Thread 26 - 30th July 2018

Old 07-28-2018, 09:12 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

I spent a fun day with the family but the AV starts tapping my shoulder when I see an open air bar. The good news is that I am a fast walker and they quickly vanish from my vision... haha!!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I’m just too weak-willed to do without cheese!

It’s one of the very few things I still have a taste for!

Even my beloved MEAT! (Grunt) is hit or miss with me now.
Nobody should have to do without cheese Gilmer, it’s my all time favourite food in the world. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one food, even though it may not be the healthiest choice, I’d still pick cheese
Old 07-28-2018, 10:15 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
Thanks for your kind words and the encouragement andy! It's hard to not lose hope when the depression gets bad. But I am getting better at it. I still lose hope for a moment or so but at least I can sit with my feelings of despair these days and I don't act on them. Which is a massive improvement. I feel so much more like an adult and like maybe one day I will be able to face the responsibility of being a parent and provide some stability.
Kevlar your post about sitting with your feelings of despair reminds me of a song that I equate with my own bouts of depression. Sounds of silence, originally Simon and Garfunkel but I really like the Disturbed version. “Hello darkness my old friend I’ve come to sit with you again”. Not that it’s my friend, just that I’m ok to sit with my sadness/despair/depression/etc knowing that it will go away again sooner or later. It took me a while to realise that it was ok to just sit with my negative feelings without trying to force them away and force myself to be more positive, as that just simply didn’t work. Knowing that the bad feelings were temporary and that if I just sat with them they lost their power and intensity helps me to be ok x
Old 07-28-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.
A sober Sunday ahead.
Mother in laws gutters await me.
Here we go.
Later weekenders
Old 07-29-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, London's long hot summer has common to an end this morning, at least for now anyway.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all and happy Sunday. Im hoping for a temptation free day. It's bothering me that after all this time (21.5 months - 650 days today) I actually felt that physical pull yesterday. A reminder that I must always remain vilgant. I counted my sober blessings and appealed to my logical side for help with the struggle.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
I spent a fun day with the family but the AV starts tapping my shoulder when I see an open air bar. The good news is that I am a fast walker and they quickly vanish from my vision... haha!!
Love this......me too.....both....it is in fact my only real trigger.....and I walk fast fast fast....

Awesome to see you here every day and I love your gorgeous cat.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Nobody should have to do without cheese Gilmer, it’s my all time favourite food in the world. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one food, even though it may not be the healthiest choice, I’d still pick cheese
That's because you have the best cheese on the planet there....trust me...I am buying Mainland from Amazon now....it is partially us (Nick & I) that got it there (on Amazon)....we hassled the company (NZ cheese) for ages....begging them to distribute here.

American cheese is not cheese. Sorry, but it isn't. Because the milk is not real milk and the cows aren't grass fed.....well they are much more now....things are changing.....Curtis Stone is bringing in Aussie beef, Costo have Aussie beef...ads on TV are telling people you can eat better dairy....

Lucky I am becoming a Health Coach otherwise what would I do with all of this useless knowledge? Ha.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Small insight into my depression and alcoholism

- the first time I felt the fear and isolation, the helplessness of depression was when I was 4.
- It never left me- spurred to greater heights with dysfunctiional family role models and bullying, that were never discussed- so I assumed I was the problem, thus exacerbating the depression
- I learnt that drinking was an acceptable means of coping by family when I was a kid so
-when I was old enough I drank, and for a time it masked the symptoms of depression...until the alcoholism seemed to take over as my main problem.
- like covering up rust with a fresh coat of paint..I would stop drinking with support (the paint) and the untreated- inherent depression would rear up (the rust)..needing higher amounts of booze to cope (??!!)
- I drank because I was depressed..and despite years of professionals- all of them....it was the booze that was the focus.
- my rock bottom was the wake up call..burning to death (for a time)
- then I researched the roots of my depression and even though only my perception..certain events in my childhood point to a credible answer.

So now- I manage the depression with a GP and a psychologist
- I manage alcoholism and maintain sobriety by SR, meetings and addiction counseling..as well as journalling and research.

Support to all
Old 07-29-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

There was this stupid TV show about 5 years ago called Stalker....the thing is, the soundtrack kicks butt. It is all covers of awesome songs, and haunting and amazing....think that Sounds of Silence version was on there.

Anyway. Now I need to listen to S&G.
Amazon Music anyone?

Is it any surprise that the owner of Amazon is now the richest dude in the world?

in
the
world

Imagine.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Sorry PJ....didn't mean to step on you love.

You know, you WAY more than manage....you seriously rock.
You are an inspiration to many people now. ♥♥
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Morning all.
A sober Sunday ahead.
Mother in laws gutters await me.
Here we go.
Later weekenders
Such a good son-in-law!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

^^^ Or a very smart husband maybe?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Such a beautiful song, thanks for that Willow and Kev.

Happy Sober Sunday, all.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

It's nice to have some cooler, wet weather today here in England after weeks of heat and sun. I had actually started to look for cheap flights to somewhere cold to get some respite from it but there weren't any to anywhere cold enough for my liking

Have a good day/night wherever you may be.

J
Old 07-29-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Hello BP2
It's currently 16°C (61°F) in Montreal, is that cool enough for you?

Have a good Sunday Weekenders!
Old 07-29-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Mr

Sounds good 16°c to me.

Some nice aerial photos of Versailles Château on the goggle box. The last stage of the Tour de France finishing on the Champs Elysés is today.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

PJ, your strength, perseverance, determination and sheer will inspire me daily. Love you, my friend.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
saoutchik

PhoenixJ for all the insight and encouragement you have given on SR many thanks, you are one inspirational person.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Grateful to be sober this Sunday, getting ready to go on my new job.