Notices

Weekender Thread 26 - 30th July 2018

Old 07-29-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders!
Today the temperatures were slightly below 30C so I spend a couple of hours in my sunny backyard. Some of the neighbours have small gardens there and someone put up a nice bench on the lawn for everyone to sit on. I started reading a recovery themed book which I borrowed from an AA friend. I have trouble relating to the character and her ways of thinking, the reasons for her drinking differ so much from mine that it didn't really suck me in yet. But I got a nice tan sitting outside anyway. Plus some vitamin D hopefully which can help mend my bone.

Being outside was definitely good for me but I am still so sad and anxious. I just miss my ex / bf (I still don't like calling him ex, I don't want to give up on him, I just don't...) so much and hope that we can talk about some things soon. It's so sad to end a relationship for no other reason than feeling overwhelmed by it and misunderstanding each other sometimes. We both love each other and I want to believe that there is a way for us to be in a relationship together, happily. Just maybe not the "classic" relationship we thought we should have.

Willow, I really like that song too, for the same reasons. It's beautiful but it makes me so sad whenever I hear it cause it reminds me so much of depression.
Which also reminds me of what this "healer" once told me. It was the strangest setting actually. At half a year sober or so, I went to a night club with a friend and living in a bit of an alternative city, this nightclub had a tent with a energy healer in the outside area. So I went in and you had to lay down with your eyes closed and he'd scan your energies. And he said that he could feel that I was scared of being my true self and that I was scared of my true emotions. And he explained that all feelings, the unpleasant as much as the pleasant ones just want to be acknowledged and accepted for who they are. And if we keep shutting the door on sadness or anger, they will keep lingering outside our door, trying to find ways in. But if we let them come inside and accept their presence, don't try to fight them or shut them out, our relationship will get better with them. That we should see them like people or something.
I like the concept but it'a also very much on the edge of being too alternative / esoteric for me.

PJ, thanks for sharing that. It makes me wonder if I focus enough on treating my depression. It'll be something I will mention to my therapist when she's back from her holiday in two weeks.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Hello BP2
It's currently 16°C (61°F) in Montreal, is that cool enough for you?
Hello CK.

I'd like it a bit cooler than that. The coldest place I found cheap flights to was Reykjavik where it was 12ºC but I wanted colder. It was probably a hypomanic thing.

J
Old 07-29-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday, everyone!
Today marks the start of my 15th day of sobriety. There were some non-drinking health hiccups along the way so it took until yesterday when I had a happy tummy day, ate healthy foods, got a decent night's sleep, and arose to find out that somewhere along my sober journey I had dropped 5 pounds and that even having forgotten a dose of BP meds and AFTER a cup of strong coffee, my BP was 131/78. Let me tell you, that never happened in my drinking days. Undereye bags and circles are fading. No ruddy skin. I guess that's the best beauty treatment when you pass 60 - don't drink.
I gave myself permission to be a bum yesterday and binge-watched British TV , which I adore. Today is laundry, some artwork, and groceries. I feel so happy to not feel that guilty feeling that comes from even a mild hangover and the knowledge you desperately try to bury, like a cat in a sandbox, that you're pickling your liver, hurting your health, not getting things done, etc. I hope all of you have a lovely Sober Sunday. I will join you in not drinking today!
Old 07-29-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Nobody should have to do without cheese Gilmer, it’s my all time favourite food in the world. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one food, even though it may not be the healthiest choice, I’d still pick cheese
Amen to that!

GILMER: Go for the Gouda. Break out the Brie. Cheddar. Roquefort. Goat cheese. Feta. Havarti with herbs. Grilled cheese sandwich ! It's a protein and it makes you happy. Go big.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Mr

Nice win for G Thomas in the Tour de France. I think he will regret forgetting his team mates names in the speech. Social networking will make sure of that. I still think Froome could have won the tour but didn't want this one. Great to see a cambativity prize for D Martin. OK j'ai terminé

I'm glad to be a part of this community. I'm glad I kept coming back after relapses. I'm glad when I read a post and something becomes lucid. I'm not fixed yet and have terrible bouts of paws but getting there. There's a lot to learn here on SR. Keep coming back folks even when the darkness comes. If you keep at it the strategy will finally be optimal. The plan is part of the strategy and the strategy is to recover. If you know what to do when and why and maybe where you will be OK.

Sunday evening film for us.
Nighty night.
V.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

77 F/25 C in Chicago! Windows wide open!
Old 07-29-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Only 106 today in Vegas. Back 9 got me today after two days golfing in heat. Nice shower and afternoon watching some baseball to finish out my weekend
Bernie
Old 07-29-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post

Thoughs of drinking have been plauging me today. Went to Grand Nieces 6th birthday party this afternoon, or better known as another excuse for an adult drinking party. Happy we didn't stay too long. Worked hard today hauling stuff off to be recycled and moving furniture about. Another busy day tomorrow so off to bed for me. G'night.
I dunno about anyone else but that pull lasted for a while for me - less and less throughout but still most of my first year.

I think it's how we react to those thoughts that's the real measure of recovery STDragon - sounds like you aced it

D
Old 07-29-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Never, good luck in the new job!

Congratulations on 15 days Branches, great job.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Good luck, Michael!

Branches, I sense you have great wisdom!
Old 07-29-2018, 10:26 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Thanks PJ and Kev for your insights on depression, it’s really helping reading about your experiences ❤️

Venus, I don’t think I’d want to live somewhere I couldn’t get proper cheese

Well done on 15 days Branches, it keeps getting better, and great cheese suggestions!

Thanks Bim for the song! ❤️
Happy Monday everyone x
Old 07-29-2018, 11:00 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Mr

Good Morning All.

Last week work for me before 4 weeks of deserved SUMMER HOLIDAYS

Have a good week all
Old 07-30-2018, 04:57 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
77 F/25 C in Chicago! Windows wide open!
We had the same yesterday ~ I was in heaven.

(Now the humidity is back up to 90%....ahhhh, what can you do? )
Old 07-30-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno about anyone else but that pull lasted for a while for me - less and less throughout but still most of my first year.

I think it's how we react to those thoughts that's the real measure of recovery STDragon - sounds like you aced it

D

I had put a big long post here, but it disappeared!

the jist of it was; I worked hard yesterday and had struggles with thoughts of drinking again. I think dehydration had a lot to do with it. I have more heavy lifting and hauling today but will take water with me and be more aware of my hydration.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Yes.....you really need to love.....it is the most important thing.....lots of water.....I know it's a pain, because you have to go to the bathroom more often and if you are working outside, but it is worth it. Hope today is a good day for you.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

We’ll be counting down with you, Vman!

Good luck staying hydrated and getting the job done and dusted, Dragon!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dragon, take it from a Southerner, either Gatorade, Powerade, or 1/4 teaspoon salt in a quart of water would be advised. When working outside, I don't have to pee. I sweat it out. It has to be replaced.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Weekenders. This lunchtime I witnessed a standoff between the emergency services and a guy aged about 45-50 on a window ledge. I heard on a local newsreels that he went back inside later and was taken away by the police. A few people were taking photos which seemed pretty heartless. I myself had the uncharitable thought (which I only post now, knowing he is safe) that he was not really high enough to be serious - one storey, 5 metres or 15 feet maximum. Just an angry guy I suspect.

It was the first time I have ever witnessed something like that and it was hard to process it. I hope the guy is getting help.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post

I had put a big long post here, but it disappeared!

the jist of it was; I worked hard yesterday and had struggles with thoughts of drinking again. I think dehydration had a lot to do with it. I have more heavy lifting and hauling today but will take water with me and be more aware of my hydration.
Dehydration likely had a lot to do with it, Cragon. Take more water with you than you think you will need!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Wishing all a great day!

Sao, that must have been so unsettling. Prayers for that troubled soul.