Notices

Cracking the ice a bit

Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

Hi Fallow.
I remember you from from 5 yrs plus ago.
I was Purplecatlover then....you probably don’t remember me.
Glad you are back. I feel the same. Wrestling the same demon after 5 yrs sober ��
Bit being here is what got me sober in the first place which is why I’m back.
Hang tight. Stay closed. Post away. And congrats on Day 4
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Fallow,

I'm glad you're back, and have four days sober under your belt. I joined SR in 2012, and took my last drink on December 31, 2015. I spent between 2012-2015 alternating between periods of sobriety, and failed attempts at moderation. There were also many times I found reasons to not quit "yet," there was a birthday, Anniversary, new job, sick family member, death... there was always going to be something.

Since getting sober I have had some big life stressors, but I got through them sober, and I am so glad that I did.

You can do this Fallow, keep adding to those days, and start planning support for your upcoming event, rather than relapse, sobriety is worth it!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Fallow, good to see you back posting.

Quitting for good is a simple step...it’s a decision. Do you want to stop drinking? Yes or no. There can’t be a maybe...if there’s a hint of maybe, it won’t stick.

Once the decision has been made, then it’s a tough ride for a bit. It takes commitment, willingness, and resolve.

There just has to be an urgency about it...spending time picking a date or waiting for things around you to be perfectly aligned (no celebrations or excuses for drinking etc) means you will be waiting a very long time. I’m afraid we are still surrounded by drinkers and drinking events all the time as sober people. That’s life..we learn how to deal with it.

Happy sobriety is a real thing, and I really wish you could experience it. It’s worth the effort, honestly.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jam13 View Post
Hi Fallow.
I remember you from from 5 yrs plus ago.
I was Purplecatlover then....you probably don’t remember me.
Glad you are back. I feel the same. Wrestling the same demon after 5 yrs sober ��
Bit being here is what got me sober in the first place which is why I’m back.
Hang tight. Stay closed. Post away. And congrats on Day 4
I remember you, stay close too ❤️
Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

He fallow I remember you. Do you remember Dec 8 2012 ? I'm on day 4 again too.we did it before and can do it again my friend. Hope your family are all well
Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Fallow; I really appreciate that you came back to post here. When I see someone with a SR forum join date that is several years old but their sobriety date can be measured in days it reminds me how tough this can be. Please keep coming back and let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
The day may come when the choice to quit will be taken from you (health reasons, death etc...) and that would be a shame. Hope you make the choice soon, but I agree you have to be "ready".
I didn't quit til I finally heard it when (yet another) doctor told me I had a year, 18 mo if I kept going. I was 39.

There's no perfect time to quit: except now.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Wow, yes Jam13 I remember you for sure. 5 years is awesome, I cannot imagine that much time.

Jeni26 I remember you too and some of your story. I think I know that happy sobriety is possible thats why staying sober is always in the back of my mind.

RAL yes I will never forget that date. It was the longest period of sobriety I have had since childhood. I sometimes wonder what it would have felt like if I had kept on. I remember relapsing very clearly too. That was when my wife was pregnant with our second. He is over 4 years old now. Family is doing great same for you I hope!

AAPJ, there were times in the past I was sure I would make it. I would stay sober for life. I was overconfident many times. I found out that for me there is always a chance. Yes its tough. Tough to start over again and again. The past year or two I completely blocked out the idea of sobriety. Could not face it.

August, Im 39 now.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Tough to start over again and again. The past year or two I completely blocked out the idea of sobriety. Could not face it.
So why are you planning to get drunk in a month?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Fallow- one of the immediate thoughts that hit me when this brand new liver dr me told me that - is that I didn't want to die at 40. That was my first birthday sober in years, just before I was 6 mo sober. My year, the next Feb (2017) marked the hugely significant period of time, that year to 18 mo, that he had told me I'd die....and I kept going sober. Crossing those marks, and going to turn 42 sober this summer, with almost 2.5 yrs, means the world.

My 40s so far? Best decade - EVER.

Lots of people don't quit til 50s or 60s - I work to make this my one and only quit because, well, Now Is The Best Time.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
AA Member

nice

glad you checked in

Old 06-14-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
So why are you planning to get drunk in a month?
Because I'm an alcoholic.

This has been a good week. Enjoying it.

I plan to make my 40s my best decade as well.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Because I'm an alcoholic.

This has been a good week. Enjoying it.

I plan to make my 40s my best decade as well.
Oddly flip response. Do planned drunks coincide with your planned best decade? I'd think they are at odds with each other.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a Reminder:

Respect is essential. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Just a Reminder:

Respect is essential. (Support and experience only please.)
I don't get it. Was this addressed to me?

Seemed like I was someone actually checking in and questioning Fallow where he was going with his plans to drink again. And he's not a newbie here who needs kid gloves. So what if I was confronting him - I think for many of us, especially me, it was honesty, rather than platitudes, that really helped.

Oh well, I'll take my voice elsewhere.

Good luck man. I'd not drink anymore if I was you, and I say that with respect.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Understand where you are coming from. Thats just the truth I am an alcoholic so it is pretty natural for me to drink or think about drinking. Doesn't mean I don't have hopes of a better life though if I am drinking or not.

Those are good questions you asked which is fine with me, I was just being straight up honest about it. No reason to bail on the thread from my perspective.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Understand where you are coming from. Thats just the truth I am an alcoholic so it is pretty natural for me to drink or think about drinking. Doesn't mean I don't have hopes of a better life though if I am drinking or not.

Those are good questions you asked which is fine with me, I was just being straight up honest about it. No reason to bail on the thread from my perspective.
Alright man, good.

I read bunch of your old posts and actually thought we had more in common than not. And I appreciate the honesty, even if you're talking some smack. The mods on these boards are god-sent but sometimes I think there's too much in the way of platitudes.

Anyhow I know why you're thinking about drinking and I've done exactly the same. And it behooves you to want the best life, regardless of alcohol. I want the same. I just know I never am going to achieve it while I'm drinking.

My last and final bender was planned, much like your upcoming indulgence. I was sober, had all the years and evidence in my life to show I needed to stay that way. And yet I f-ing scheduled a wasted night at a UFC event with an old friend. And down the old rabbit hole I went.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You there Fallow?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Not drinking can be hard. Drinking is always — and monotonously — harder. It’s about all the wisdom I’ve got to offer, and likely it’s not going to be anything new to you, but I’d personally be delighted if your ‘tenporary’ hiatus from drinking turned into sustained sobriety. I tell you this: sobriety has been a huge gift to me and, as I’m not that different from anyone else, I’d wager it’d be something pretty amazing for you also.

All the best.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Today is day one. I am working on my sobriety plan. I am not over confident but also not doubting myself. I know I can do this but I also realize the difficulty level.

Thanks for stickin with me thru the years