Notices

News about "no safe level" of alcohol

Old 08-25-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

News about "no safe level" of alcohol

I came here to see if anyone was talking about the news late this week about the huge worldwide study finding "no healthy level" of consumption of alcohol. That any health benefits previously touted are overwhelmed by the negative effects.

From the Washington Post yesterday, this headline:
"Safest level of alcohol consumption is none, worldwide study shows"

Quote from lead researcher: “People should no longer think that a drink or two a day is good for you. What’s best for you is to not drink at all."

Of course for those of us who were drinking way more than the recommended "safe" level, and to me, this is just one more bit of ammunition and motivation.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Health benefits

There is a video on YouTube of a young woman not much of a drinker who spend 1 month drinking 1 glass on red wine a day.

The results:-

1. Sleep disturbance.
2. Reduced ability to concentrate.
3. Dehydration
4. Decline in physical appearance.

Is it healthy? No that's just advertising to sell an evil product!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's amazing that a class 1 carcinogen could ever be called healthy. I can't say that I think very moderate drinking isnt ok, but healthy? No. Totally bogus claim with zero scientific evidence.

Bogus claims abound. Look at what Ancel Keys started. Ugh.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That study is making the alcohol industry very scared. I expect an industry funded counter study coming...

It is huge news and all of us on the wagon should see ourselves as leaders of this new movement.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, I learned there was no safe level of alcohol through a protracted, in-depth, decades-long field study.

While it’s interesting to see my own data acknowledged by another study, this study really adds nothing to my own findings.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
For me, I learned there was no safe level of alcohol through a protracted, in-depth, decades-long field study.

While it’s interesting to see my own data acknowledged by another study, this study really adds nothing to my own findings.

If you'd published first Owl I'm sure your work would have been cited.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This article has been everywhere I go in my social media world. Note, I run a r covert group here and participate in a lot of addiction related and other support stuff on FB, Insta, etc.

My conclusions
1 there is a difference between something being NOT BAD for you and being GOOD for you. Language in these studies and discussions is important
2 it is easy to normalize your amount of drinking based in your environment and socializing
3 few people truly know or adhere to the currently recommended guidelines- i.e. One 4oz glass of wine daily for women.
4 the non alcoholics are the main ones in danger here because habits that could be changed often aren't, i.e. Over consumption
5 binge drinking, even "occasionally" is too common among those who do drink and it is especially dangerous

I do have several more.

Basically, it can boil down to simple questions like
What is alcohol doing in your life.? Good stuff? Bad stuff? Honest answers to those questions should lead you from there.

Debating study methods, meta analysis and the like, as plenty I've read and heard are doing, is really beside the point if we are discussing ingestion of ethanol.

Awareness of the reality of drinking and its impact on anyone and everyone needs to increase. On an individual level, heart disease, impact on pretty much every organ in your body from skin to kidneys to...should at its most basic level a health concern, and its most extreme level, the reality of us alcoholics when we are still drinking and not.

I'm not a Prohibitionist. I do believe that those who still have choice over whether or not, and how much, to drink should examine their behaviors around it.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
That study is making the alcohol industry very scared. I expect an industry funded counter study coming...

It is huge news and all of us on the wagon should see ourselves as leaders of this new movement.
I was thinking same! We're ahead of the curve!