Notices

My 2nd DUI and terrified

Old 01-28-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Hi Mistakes2

Please try and take this one day at a time. Know that it is over. You made it through not hurt and did not hurt anyone else. And you appreciate the severity of this. But right now know that you are safe and Sober. Time will heal this wound and problem. It may be the catalyst to get sober. If you stay sober and go to AA you will be able to help so many other people with your experience. I know you hate yourself at the moment but what good is that really going to do?
You are sick from the disease of Alcoholism . Please give your self some self care. Rest and relax. Read the Big Book if you can get one. I don't believe anything is going to happen overnight. So the worry is just going to make you sicker. This experience isn't going kill you -Thank god it didn't . I promise you if you stay sober your parents and loved ones will be so proud of you in the future . Again if you stay sober you will be able to help alot of people that are going to be in your same exact shoes in the future.

Hi, thank you so much for your encouraging words. This really helped me calm down after reading it a few times over and over.
I will try my best to not over tihink about this situation too much and be thankful that i am safe and that I never hurt anyone else either.
I hope one day I will be brave enough to share my story and help others not make this horrible mistake or atleast comfort them. Thank you
Old 01-29-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

hi mistakes2,

I can imagine how scared you feel, but don’t drive yourself crazy with ‘what ifs’. You made a poor decision because you have a problem with alcohol. The huge positive is that only property got damaged not people and no matter what consequences come from your actions, accept them as part of your recovery.

Please remember when you talk to us here, everyone has their share of struggles, poor choices and shame. We are not here to judge you, please keep coming back and let us support you.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottynz View Post
hi mistakes2,

I can imagine how scared you feel, but don’t drive yourself crazy with ‘what ifs’. You made a poor decision because you have a problem with alcohol. The huge positive is that only property got damaged not people and no matter what consequences come from your actions, accept them as part of your recovery.

Please remember when you talk to us here, everyone has their share of struggles, poor choices and shame. We are not here to judge you, please keep coming back and let us support you.

Hi, thank you for replying.
I just left my first AA meeting ever. Everyonr was so welcoming and nice. I might go again tomorrow... I met someone there that told me there is one that is much closer to my house so we exchanged numbers and might go together tomorrow.

I am happy I have this site to talk to people while I am home and get anxious.

I am very happy i never hurt myself or anyone else but still ashamed and very scared. Meeting with a Lawyer early in the morning tomorrow...then off to go to the Police station for finger prints and my mugshot.......... dreading this.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Rar

I was wondering how your AA meeting went. I'm glad you posted. I hope you go again tomorrow, as tomorrow will be a difficult day for you. You can do this. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I was wondering how your AA meeting went. I'm glad you posted. I hope you go again tomorrow, as tomorrow will be a difficult day for you. You can do this. I'll be thinking of you.

Hi thank you for thinking of me. I never shared my story at the AA Meeting yet but everyone assured me that it is fine for me to sit and listen until I am ready to share.
I will share how tomorrow goes. *fingers crossed*
Old 01-29-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Mistakes, it would be wise to get a copy of the big book of AA to read to get an understand of what the program of AA is.. you can find it online to read,too

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous
linked with permission AA World Services

the first 164 pages tells some about alcoholism and its effect and how we recover.
the rest is personal stories from people in AA.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-29-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Rar

How are you doing Mistakes? Thinking of you.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Mistakes, it would be wise to get a copy of the big book of AA to read to get an understand of what the program of AA is.. you can find it online to read,too

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous
linked with permission AA World Services

the first 164 pages tells some about alcoholism and its effect and how we recover.
the rest is personal stories from people in AA.

Hi, thank you for sharing this with me. Will give it a read tonight!
Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
How are you doing Mistakes? Thinking of you.

Hi there, I am doing good today... was surrounded by family all day and helped me keep my mind off of things...... Hope you are well!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Rar

I am, thanks. Glad you're doing good.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I want to start going to AA

Do it, starting today.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mistakes2 View Post
I am just so heartbroken that this is what my last resort has come down to... I am afraid of jail and what is in there. I definitely will not become that person again
I think it is good that you are posting, and processing what happened. I don't want to add insult to already endured injury, but actions have consequences. From all your posts, I understand that YOU understand this, and I like you honesty and introspection.

As someone who has lost a friend to a drunk driver, it would have been truly horrific if you had hit more than a parked car. You get this. Own it, and realize that you were lucky here.

You CAN get better. You most certainly CAN be the man you want to be. And yes, you can turn you life around. Avail yourself of all help.

Lastly, I think it is good to take a good hard look at the past, but don't continue to stare at it. Don't continue to beat yourself up. Put all that energy into moving forward.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I think it is good that you are posting, and processing what happened. I don't want to add insult to already endured injury, but actions have consequences. From all your posts, I understand that YOU understand this, and I like you honesty and introspection.

As someone who has lost a friend to a drunk driver, it would have been truly horrific if you had hit more than a parked car. You get this. Own it, and realize that you were lucky here.

You CAN get better. You most certainly CAN be the man you want to be. And yes, you can turn you life around. Avail yourself of all help.

Lastly, I think it is good to take a good hard look at the past, but don't continue to stare at it. Don't continue to beat yourself up. Put all that energy into moving forward.

Hi, I am truly truly sorry for you loosing your friend from a drunk driver.... that is horrible and breaks my heart more. Yes I am very thankful I never hurt anyone or myself... I would not be here right now to let out my feelings and look for help. I just know I will never make this mistake again... Thank you for the encouraging words.. I am trying my best everyday. 6 days sober today.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Mistakes2,

My wife is an addict, and by the grace of go she did not kill anyone when driving under the influence. She is now going thru the rehab process... this is not her first rodeo with it... she was sober for 9 years prior...

The lesson she learned is that once an addict, always an addict.. even when the urges are not there... she relapsed because she stopped working her maintenance program of AA meetings/sponsor/etc... she thought she was better and had the disease beaten.... so it decided to show her a thing or two this time round.

The point of this post is that you will always need to maintain a healthy program to stay sober... sure some people can cut it without, but why take the risk... Please take care to maintain a sobriety program in the future to help give you the best insurance of not becoming the person you do not want to be again.

Best wishes in your recovery...

T
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you are hanging in there, Mistakes2.

Have you gotten any legal help yet?
Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

I've been lurking for awhile now but this thread made me login again. Hope i can help a bit. I had a friend get two dui's in 10 years, a third gets you banned from driving in ontario. Dont know the fine he got, but lost his license for three years, and had to put an interlock for another 3, never got put in jail, however i dont think he hit other cars his second time. Told me after calculating everything, cost him around 20,000, not fun.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ID10T View Post
I've been lurking for awhile now but this thread made me login again. Hope i can help a bit. I had a friend get two dui's in 10 years, a third gets you banned from driving in ontario. Dont know the fine he got, but lost his license for three years, and had to put an interlock for another 3, never got put in jail, however i dont think he hit other cars his second time. Told me after calculating everything, cost him around 20,000, not fun.

Hi there!! Thank you so much for replying! That is a lot of money! I am really hoping I do not go to jail for my 2nd dui either... I have already been saving and got a lot more to save in order to pay that Interlock when it is time... Can't believe I did this again. So disappointing and embarrassing.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad that you are hanging in there, Mistakes2.

Have you gotten any legal help yet?

Hi! Yes I have gotten myself a Lawyer, I am waiting on my court date to find out what the next steps I need to take...
Thank you I am trying my best...
Old 02-17-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spence7471 View Post
Mistakes2,

My wife is an addict, and by the grace of go she did not kill anyone when driving under the influence. She is now going thru the rehab process... this is not her first rodeo with it... she was sober for 9 years prior...

The lesson she learned is that once an addict, always an addict.. even when the urges are not there... she relapsed because she stopped working her maintenance program of AA meetings/sponsor/etc... she thought she was better and had the disease beaten.... so it decided to show her a thing or two this time round.

The point of this post is that you will always need to maintain a healthy program to stay sober... sure some people can cut it without, but why take the risk... Please take care to maintain a sobriety program in the future to help give you the best insurance of not becoming the person you do not want to be again.

Best wishes in your recovery...

T

Hi T, thank you for sharing your story. I am proud of your wife for trying and not giving up! ..I am trying my best aswell. I have a rough road ahead of me and some dark nights... reason why I came back here tonight.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:43 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey M.

Glad you're still here, reading and posting , and that you've found local support in your AA fellowship.

Those long dark nights in the beginning of sobriety can be bleak. It's easy to get stuck in circular (or what me and my AA pals call 'vortex') thinking. Like a waking nightmare, made up of things based (more and more loosly) on things that already happened, mixed with things we're full of dread might happen. Those nights sometimes I found it easier to get up and see if anyone was here, or to grab a cuppa tea and listen to a speaker tape. Usually by the end of that I'd be able to nod off again for a more restful bit of sleep. The Speaker Recordings can be found on YouTube, but this site is my personal favourite resource for them... https://www.recoveryaudio.org There are over 6000 speaker recordings on there, and have been organised into steps and / or by speaker. Sandy Beach, Earl Hightower, Charlie C, and so many others .... they've all got me through some dark, dark nights with their experience, strength and hope.

BB