Notices

My 2nd DUI and terrified

Old 02-18-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi M.........I've been thinking about you. I'm glad you're still working on your sobriety. Hang in there. Keep close.........
Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Hey M.

Glad you're still here, reading and posting , and that you've found local support in your AA fellowship.

Those long dark nights in the beginning of sobriety can be bleak. It's easy to get stuck in circular (or what me and my AA pals call 'vortex') thinking. Like a waking nightmare, made up of things based (more and more loosly) on things that already happened, mixed with things we're full of dread might happen. Those nights sometimes I found it easier to get up and see if anyone was here, or to grab a cuppa tea and listen to a speaker tape. Usually by the end of that I'd be able to nod off again for a more restful bit of sleep. The Speaker Recordings can be found on YouTube, but this site is my personal favourite resource for them... https://www.recoveryaudio.org There are over 6000 speaker recordings on there, and have been organised into steps and / or by speaker. Sandy Beach, Earl Hightower, Charlie C, and so many others .... they've all got me through some dark, dark nights with their experience, strength and hope.

BB

Hey BB. Thank you very much for sharing that with me! I definitely do feel to be in a 'Vortex' some nights... I will check out some of the recordings from this website tonight before bed. Wish I seen it last night but I dozed off after reading some threads
Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Hi M.........I've been thinking about you. I'm glad you're still working on your sobriety. Hang in there. Keep close.........

Thank you so much for keeping me in your thoughts!!!
Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hello. I was wondering how it is going for you with your legal issue? I am in the same situation I got my 2nd impaired my last one being in 2015 or 2016 and I’m also terrified. Although I didn’t hit anything or anyone. Thank god!!!!! I have talked with a lawyer whom said the minimum is 30 days which can be on weekends. I’m so scared because I’m not a criminal I’m an alcoholic. Booze brings out the stupidity in me, I’ve been going to addiction programs and I think I’m going to start AA as well. Is there any hope to avoid jail?????
Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I don't know how it is in Canada but I can tell you what happens here. I've been in law enforcement most of my life. (And drinking most of my life) First you need to get a lawyer a public defender will do. Since it is your 2nd one they will probably not knock it down to driving to endanger. A lawyer should have done that on the first one. Second check in to rehab even if it does cost money before your court date. Have your lawyer extend your court date so you can do this. Start AA asap and get a sponser. (someone who would not mind to be called as a character witness if possible) Find a meeting and go as much as possible. If you are sentenced to jail let them know you have a job and your income supports your family. Many people turn them selves in on Friday night and are released Sunday night. They do this every weekend until there time is served. If you are not allowed this option then you will do probably 30 days. You will receive good time while you are in. The state I am from you would get 10 days good time meaning you only do 20 days. If you have no felonies or violent offenses you will be sent to minimum security. If possible try to get a job working in the jail. You will then receive 2 for ones on top of your good time. Your license will be suspended for a minimum of a year. Do not drive at all on a suspended license. The punishment for that is severe. I doubt you get probation but if you do make your PO your friend. They can come into your house at anytime and if there is any alcohol in your house it starts all over. Keep in mind this information is for the States. I might be totally off on Canada rules and regs. Hope this helps. I'm only 50 days sober tomorrow but I can tell you it does get better. I'll keep checking your thread if you have any questions.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi, M. I'm so glad you made the brave decision to quit drinking. I hope you are finding the support here helpful; I am 80 days sober and this is a safe place for me with wise, encouraging people. Please stay!

I'm sorry that you needed this wake up call to help you get on the right path, but as others have said, you will move on from this and you will recover. I am about your age and I have had thoughts that my life is over too, but now I realise that I am capable of so much more sober and, most importantly, that I deserve to live a long, fulfilled life without alcohol. You deserve it too.

Love to you x
Old 03-21-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I have never heard of the drop down to driving to endangered but the rest of the comment was very good advise. I am 28, got my second in 2014 paired with a felony resisting. Totaled my truck into a tree with my insurance lapsing. I recommend the lawyer up. I sat for like 6 months before getting sentenced. Was very stressful but it’s a normal strategy for a lawyer to let things die down. Got placed in a sobriety court situation that was absolute hell for 18 months. So 2 years total for the process. It suckedddd. Absolute ****. But I ended up going back to school and graduated from college with honors. It put me into a fight or flight mindset and I worked very hard working full time, sobriety court (basically a 2nd job) and school more than full time.

I got my felony dropped down down to a misdeminor. Played that sobriety court like a boss! Not one slip, not 1 sponsor, went to about 500 aa’s and I went back out until like 8 months ago.

I know how much it sucks and I definitely was suicidal but would never act on it. I just understand your feeling. To be honest, depending on what industry your in, no one really cares about misdemeanors.

I still ill feel like I have ptsd from the whole situation because of where my mind went and how far I was willing to go to turn my life around (I weighed like 180lbs and came out weighing about 140).

I know it sucks now, but just look at it as a time you can focus on bettering your life. Time really holds people back from bettering themselves, but all you have is time now.

I cant tell you what to do after you’re off, as I just started drinking again and being wrapped up in the court system makes it hard to see the benefits of not drinking. Just stay strong. It may be a **** time but you’ll get through it. I’d recommend sticking with not drinking after for at least a while if you’re ever thinking of going back out. It just depends on how much you want to dig yourself out of the hole your in.

My my life’s been ****** up multiple times but I am still here. Life’s to a point where it’s normalized and I can focus on normal life problems. But I have fought my way and did whatever it took. Good luck by
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Two days ago there was yet another crash into the mountain, on the road that connects the two small towns I live in (approx 5 miles long).

5 people in the car, but no fatalities as far as I know. However, 3 of them was sent to the hospital (not the local one, but a universal further away). The other 2 for a doctor checkup. The guy, at 18, who drove had just gotten his license one day earlier, and he chose to drive intoxicated...

The reason I'm mentioning this is because my sister knows all of the people in that car, and in turn it gets an impact on me.

Luckily, the car was a fairly safe SUV, which is now a wreck.

I don't know much about the Canadian legal system, but I wish you luck (though don't ever drive intoxicated again... please).
Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I hope you are still here and reading, M. Any updates on the legal situation?

I had a 3rd DUI in the states on December 4, 2014. I hit a parked car while I was distracted by my phone. It was also the day I had my last drink. I'm lucky in that in my state, a 3rd is still a misdemeanor. I got a lawyer, went to treatment right away, and started AA right away also. I also got into a program that reduced my jail sentence to 13 days, with release for child care for a few hours a day (I didn't have a job at that time, or it would have been work release). I had to do 45 days of house arrest with an ankle monitor also, and breathalyzer tests 4 times a day, and check in for UA's for another couple of months after that. I also had an interlock for 2 and a half years.

And you know what? I consider all of it a blessing. Yes, I was devastated and worried and scared. So very scared. But when I realized I never had to do it again, that I could quit drinking and begin to have the life I knew I wanted (and deserved), I was relieved and felt really unburdened. Life got better, even though the consequences (and $$$ spent) were not fun at all. I was thankful, because it was the kick in the butt I needed to change my life.

You'll get through all of it. You didn't hurt anyone or yourself, and that is the MOST important thing in all of this. You have a chance to get and stay sober now, and have a much better life down the road. Trust me. It really will be ok in the end, as long as you take action and take this very seriously. It sounds like you are.

Let us hear back from you - PM me if you'd like.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just so folks know this thread is originally from January last year and Mistakes hasn't logged in for 6 months or so.

D
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Just so folks know this thread is originally from January last year and Mistakes hasn't logged in for 6 months or so.

D
Oh, right.

Well, I genuinely hope he is okay, even if he is in prison (thinking about it, that may be safer, actually...)