Notices

My 2nd DUI and terrified

Old 01-28-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mistakes2 View Post
I hope I find the help I need and it sticks with me because I want to enjoy life sober and never make this horrible mistake again or anything else.
that is good to read.
know that whether or not it sticks with you is on you- no one else can keep it stuck but you.
this experience is going to be a valuable posession for you. it will help you remember in the future what drinking has done and can do, which is much worse, if you chose to drink again.
and will help keep you stuck in recovery.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am going through my 1st dui and I am in Ontario as well. I haven't been to court yet so not sure how things will turn out for me. I will pm you later.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I am going through my 1st dui and I am in Ontario as well. I haven't been to court yet so not sure how things will turn out for me. I will pm you later.

Hi, sorry to hear that. Your first DUI you will be given a fine to pay and have your license suspended then you will be asked to get the ignition lock in your car and go to one class. No jail for you. I wish I had better news for myself... I am very scared.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
that is good to read.
know that whether or not it sticks with you is on you- no one else can keep it stuck but you.
this experience is going to be a valuable posession for you. it will help you remember in the future what drinking has done and can do, which is much worse, if you chose to drink again.
and will help keep you stuck in recovery.

I hope I never pick up a drink again
Old 01-28-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Keep your head up. There are people who have been in far worse situations and turned their lives around. All you have to is google 'alcoholics who turned their lives around' and you'll see articles on 100s maybe 1000s of addicts and alcoholics who have fought through their problems and lived happy lives. If they can do it so can you.

Focus on what you can control and take it from there. First and most important is obviously not drinking ever again.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerZone View Post
Keep your head up. There are people who have been in far worse situations and turned their lives around. All you have to is google 'alcoholics who turned their lives around' and you'll see articles on 100s maybe 1000s of addicts and alcoholics who have fought through their problems and lived happy lives. If they can do it so can you.

Focus on what you can control and take it from there. First and most important is obviously not drinking ever again.

Hi, thanks for a response.
Yes I have been reading some peoples stories. I believe I can change with the right people around me and in my life. I just have to stay strong and focused on bettering myself. I keep praying for myself.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I hope I never pick up a drink again
ya only have to focus on that today.
when tomorrow comes, you do it for tomorrows today.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mistakes2

Many of our members have had DUIs & I'm sure you'll hear from more of them.

I don't know anything about DUIs but I do know a bit about staying sober.
You'll find a lot of support and good ideas on that here.

I'd go to that AA meeting - you have nothing to lose, sobriety to gain - and it may help you in court if you were to become a regular attendee

D
Old 01-28-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Don't do what I did.....Once the shame wore off I went back to drinking. I SHOULD have started AA the next day. Looking back, I was using the excuse of 'stress' from my DUI to fuel even more drinking. I drank the entire 6-9 months leading up to my court date. Then continued to drink for several months after because it was over(excuse).
Old 01-28-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

free detox/rehab in Ontario

Mistakes2;6764157]I just contacted a local AA meeting and I will go there for my first meeting at 12pm. I am not sure if there are any free Rehab centres in my area I will have to search the web for that......
Mistakes2 - I saw that you are in Ontario, so I just sent you a PM (personal message) with the location of a free detox/short-term rehab place in southern Ontario, that I highly recommend. If you are west of Toronto, or in Toronto, it could be a good place to start your recovery.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I am just so heartbroken that this is what my last resort has come down to... I am afraid of jail and what is in there. I definitely will not become that person again
Jail isn't that bad. Been there, done that. I got kitchen work that turned my 30 days to ten. But. I worked from 5 AM to 7 PM everyday. Exhausting but, permanently motivated to never go back.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Mistakes2

Please try and take this one day at a time. Know that it is over. You made it through not hurt and did not hurt anyone else. And you appreciate the severity of this. But right now know that you are safe and Sober. Time will heal this wound and problem. It may be the catalyst to get sober. If you stay sober and go to AA you will be able to help so many other people with your experience. I know you hate yourself at the moment but what good is that really going to do?
You are sick from the disease of Alcoholism . Please give your self some self care. Rest and relax. Read the Big Book if you can get one. I don't believe anything is going to happen overnight. So the worry is just going to make you sicker. This experience isn't going kill you -Thank god it didn't . I promise you if you stay sober your parents and loved ones will be so proud of you in the future . Again if you stay sober you will be able to help alot of people that are going to be in your same exact shoes in the future.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi
Did you make it to a meeting?
Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I wish there were more people here to talk to but you are helping with your replies...

I will look into calling AA and hopefully start going tomorrow. I am embarrassed and ashamed so I hope it helps...I can’t seem to get out of bed or eat

Thank you, you got a smile out of me......
I am only 10 days sober, but AA has been wonderful for me. I’ve gone everyday since day 4 when I was able to crawl out of bed. It has helped me a lot. This site is also a life saver. You’ll be okay! The DUI sucks, but thank goodness you’re here to tell about it!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:21 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Don't do what I did.....Once the shame wore off I went back to drinking. I SHOULD have started AA the next day. Looking back, I was using the excuse of 'stress' from my DUI to fuel even more drinking. I drank the entire 6-9 months leading up to my court date. Then continued to drink for several months after because it was over(excuse).

Hi, that is exactly what I did with my first DUI. I would be sober the entire week then went on a binge Friday till Sunday. It has been 2 full days without a drink. I finally ate today... and am excited to see what my first AA meeting is like tomorrow afternoon.
Have you quit drinking?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Komplex View Post
I am only 10 days sober, but AA has been wonderful for me. I’ve gone everyday since day 4 when I was able to crawl out of bed. It has helped me a lot. This site is also a life saver. You’ll be okay! The DUI sucks, but thank goodness you’re here to tell about it!

Hi, congrats on 10 days and many more to come! Glad to hear it motivates you and I hope it will motivate me the same!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Hi
Did you make it to a meeting?

Hi, no I did not make it to a meeting Sunday but I am going to one tomorrow (Monday) in the afternoon.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Jail isn't that bad. Been there, done that. I got kitchen work that turned my 30 days to ten. But. I worked from 5 AM to 7 PM everyday. Exhausting but, permanently motivated to never go back.

Hi, thank you for telling me your experience. I think I watch too much '60 Days In' and I am afraid my experience will be somewhat like that here in Ontario... If/When I go I would like to work in the Kitchen... would definitely help with my anxiety because I love cooking.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPoutine View Post
Mistakes2 - I saw that you are in Ontario, so I just sent you a PM (personal message) with the location of a free detox/short-term rehab place in southern Ontario, that I highly recommend. If you are west of Toronto, or in Toronto, it could be a good place to start your recovery.

Hi, thank you for your recommendation, I am a bit far from Toronto but I will still have a look.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Mistakes2

Many of our members have had DUIs & I'm sure you'll hear from more of them.

I don't know anything about DUIs but I do know a bit about staying sober.
You'll find a lot of support and good ideas on that here.

I'd go to that AA meeting - you have nothing to lose, sobriety to gain - and it may help you in court if you were to become a regular attendee

D

Hi, thank you!
I will update how my first meeting goes after I am back tomorrow. I really hope it helps me become a better person and helps me with my situation.
I am so happy I found this site on Google yesterday, it helped me get through today and I hope more days to come... everyone is very understanding and helpful.