Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It's Friday and I need a drink! smoke! toot! Weekenders Thread 11-13th Aug

Notices

It's Friday and I need a drink! smoke! toot! Weekenders Thread 11-13th Aug

Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey, it's nice to see you, Serene Edition. I've enjoyed your posts over the years. I always know it's you when I see those lovely blueberries.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning everyone, happy sober Sunday.

Do check in to say you made through Friday and Saturday and post if you did slip up too, no-one will criticise you, just offer support for next week. Holding yourself accountable helps to get your mind in the right place.

Good luck with the check up tomorrow Tetra.
I made it through another weekend sober and feeling fantastic!

Drove to Cape Cod yesterday and stopped at Chatham Pier to watch the seals being fed. We bought some fresh fish at the pier fish market, which we will be making a fish stew out of today.

I'm closing in on 6 months of sobriety and feeling great!

Hope everyone enjoys the day!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Made it through......feel out of the woods now. I kept fairly busy - spent my free time worrying about ongoing physical symptoms; doctors appointment next week. Feel absolute dread. On the plus side all the health worries seen to have smothered out any cravings. Seems there is always a bright side.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders MindfulMan!

Ya! Good to see you SereneEdition.

Congratulations on 300 days Dragon, I find milestones good little psychological boosts.

Good luck at the doctors next week DarklingSong, fingers crossed you will be well.

I had a phonecall from my aunt and uncle today who live in Cornwall which is in far south west corner of England. He and his wife are in their early seventies and amazingly active/ outdoor types (moderate drinkers) They have so much energy it kind of recharges me a bit and I need a bit of external motivation sometimes.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Sober Friday, and Saturday. Played 36 holes of golf at midnight to stay occupied. A little tired now, but I ate a steak and drank some coconut water. I don't see any reason to drink today.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good going sobersolstice, it must have been a well lit course - I have enough trouble seeing where my ball has gone on daylight, which says much about the standard of my game.

Bedtime for me, the boss is back tomorrow and there were no foul ups while he was away so I am actually looking forward to going in on Monday (it likely won't last).

Night gang.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Sweet dreams, Sao! Thanks everyone for a great weekend. I'd like to share this quote that I love:

Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Morning guys.
I've got a question..... I want to start keeping a diary again ,both to off load and to write down things to be grateful for..... I'm a bit concerned that a paper version may not be safe from prying eyes.... so I'm after suggestions please. Do I just write a word document and keep adding to it.... or is there something else?
I have been opening up to Mr P and the juniour P' s...(They are not actually little children anymore so don't panic). ...and it's been brought to my attention that although they all tell me they want to be included they actually don't really want too much info..... so now I'm feeling sad and guilty. Hence why I'm looking at trying something else..... I figured you would be the best people to ask.
Hugs.xx
Old 08-14-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Personally I like the feel of pen and paper. Plus it's portable. If on a computer or laptop it's not so easy to move should someone come in the room. And I hate the keyboard on a tablet. I suppose you could find a way to lock up the electronic version, but you could also get a pretty good lockable diary. Or a lock box to keep it in?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

When I wrote with pen and paper I used a lock box.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi petals, if you have an android phone there are some diary apps out there that might be worth looking into. In theory they would give you privacy and convenience.

Warm here in London for a change. I find it difficult to switch from weekend to weekday mode when it is like this, especially as we are not busy.

The boss has asked for a breakdown of last week's business, when I asked how quickly he needed he said "Wednesday please - as stated in the prophecy"
Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

LOL!

You're a trendsetter!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I messed up.

It seems every effort to stop for good doesn't have the drive behind it that it used to after hundreds of relapses. They aren't horrible relapses, but I let my habits take over when I crave, it's so ingrained. Sunday afternoon with my roommate turned into a 3 beer?.. maybe 5 beer deal (coors light pints) while playing disc golf; I was craving, and he said "let's grab some hydration beers" I just said "ok" without thinking; this is becoming a problem (saying no). Almost as though I forget everything that alcohol has caused because I'm drinking a lot less. I'm not hungover, but have a date tonight with a beautiful lady who wants rooftop drinks with a beautiful view... for crying out loud, I want that too.

I feel like a kid without self control.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

If you don't feel strong enough to stick with a virgin drink (and you probably don't), tell her gently that you're giving up drinking and you'd prefer to take her to a different setting (another one with a nice view).

If she balks, then she's probably not the one for you.

But if she's happy to accommodate you, then that's a really good sign!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Well today I was raising a spoonful of peach gateau as I thought of all of my friends. The last 5 - 6 weeks were very hard for me, but anytime I had self doubts I was raised by all of your generous posts and messages.

At the hospital (not the one I work in as orthopaedics and things like dialysis and long term care etc are the one across town)I was queuing, queuing, queuing. At least the doctor looked at my x-rays and said "you are healing nicely". I asked if I still needed the splint and he said "no, but I note you are a medical secretary. If your wrist hurts when typing, do wear it". Then I was sent to talk to the physiotherapist who gave me different advice - as in do not wear it at all, only if you will be in a crowded place. I have exercises to do and I have to go for physiotherapy next week. I'm a bit sore when I do some of the exercises but I'm so so so relieved to be on the mend! As my dad said "I am so pleased for you and don't do anything like that again"!

Again I thank you all for keeping me on the straight and narrow when I was feeling down. I really missed my Dad's calming influence today but he was in Dublin as the state are interviewing for a state solicitor and he was asked to sit on the interview board. My mother drove me INSANE today but we couldn't let my dad turn this down. He is 71 years old but still extremely "with it" and I know he misses his work badly. Even when my Granny was 90 the occupational therapist told her she had to play bingo (which she fought hard against) as she needed to meet people who she was not related to.

Anyway thanks to all. Lotsa love always, Tetra
Old 08-14-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

sobersolstice maybe you could change a few routines/patterns of behavior that lead to cravings kicking in. It may then be easier to make different choices. I agree with what Gilmer said about tonight, I would struggle under those circumstances. Eating might help.

Tetra that's good news about your wrist, I expect the physio will be tough but I suppose that is the idea. One thing- if you were still drinking I bet you would have at least banged your wrist a few times and it would have taken that much longer to heal.

I spoke to a guy who lives in the same complex as me for the first time this evening. He was a really good guy. He said he was an Insurance broker and I was thinking "dull" but he was anything but, satellite insurance was his area. I had never really considered that aspect of them before.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Fortunately no. Taking into account my drinking past and general clumsiness this is the second time in my life when I have banged something and neither of them were alcohol related. The first time I was 17 years old and sprained my ankle in France when I fell off a bicycle. The French health system is much better than here i.e. No waiting around whatsoever.

I read an article a few weeks ago and it said something like the average person will have 2 minor accidents or whatever over the course of their life. That's me finished so (fingers crossed)

I am not hugely religious in that I do not go to mass every Sunday but I do pray and I have been known to pop into a church if I'm passing to light a candle. Taking into account everything (seizures etc) I do believe that some one is looking out for me.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I don't go to church much either but I do light the occasional candle whenever I get a chance. Usually for someone who's passed. The last time I was Easter and I lit and extra one for gratefulness.

Often when I read your posts Tetra, I think how interesting it would be to compile a list of "As my dad said..." quotes. He is a wise man and I think anyone would be lucky to call him Dad.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is a beautiful day here, I am psyching myself up to tell the boss I am going to take this afternoon off.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

In our office we call that 'same day toil' (time off in-lue) and you'd be obliged to bring in doughnuts the next day. It's in the doughnut by-law.