Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It's Friday and I need a drink! smoke! toot! Weekenders Thread 11-13th Aug

Notices

It's Friday and I need a drink! smoke! toot! Weekenders Thread 11-13th Aug

Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ha ha, Ha Ha, HA HA!

Now that I think about it, in that Schafer jingle there should have been two stomps after "is the!"

And it should have been, "Congratulations, NONS," not "Congratulations, Nona!"
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have a shrub that's half-dead with some mystery disease.

I just got in from cutting off all the dead limbs and stuffing them in a garbage bag.

I missed recycling day yesterday, and the regular trash truck won't take them; but I have a secret plan.

I know a supermarket where hardly anybody goes. They have three giant dumpsters behind the store. They're always empty.

The contraband is currently in my front seat. Tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn I'll go there and unload it!

Then I'll speed away and they'll be none the wiser!

Who says sobriety is boring?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
LadyBlue and Gilmer, on the topic of corny beer add slogans, I just have to add this cheesy one that was around here in South Africa years back when I was a student (of course it had a tune to it as well):

"Nothing goes down, Goes Down, GOES DOWN, better than a Castle Lite!"
We have a beer ad currently on.... I don't remember right now what beer. But at the end, this guy goes, 'Look at your beer, now look at mine. Look at YOUR beer, NOW look at MINE.' I seem to have gotten into the habit of reciting this with him (it's on the car radio whenever I'm driving home from work) all the time. And, it really gets to me. By the time I get home, I do want a beer. Gotta stop that.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I know I am a recovering alcoholic and I shouldn't find this funny but I can't help it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170811_001044.jpg (27.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Yeah, those ads, they're meant to get inside your head and SELL SELL SELL you. Not that you didn't already know this but.....I can't even begin to tell you how deep this goes seeing I've been in the direct marketing industry for over 20 years now.

I think the only think I've ever purchased in my life that worked as easily and exactly the way it was advertised is the Mr Clean Sponge. Shameless plug here. If you wait just a tad bit too long to clean your tub (like me) you then usually spend time having to apply some real elbow grease with some toxic smelling cleaning agent. With this sponge you don't even need gloves. Wet it, ring it out, and even the worst tub will be sparkling in less than 10 minutes. Sure, the longer you've waited it may take a little more elbow grease but this little puppy is unmatched in cleaning. No, I don't own stock in Proctor and Gamble :p I'm just amazed something did exactly what it said.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao for another great thread

And thanks for the tip, LadyBlue!

I need to join you all this weekend.....I didn't stay strong for the show Saturday & ended up drinking that night, so there goes my almost 5 months. Gotta rack 'em up again! I also joined the August 2017 class. Good to see you all!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm not gonna drink this weekend!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Safely back in my hotel room. The Thursday celebration didn't turn out to be so bad. I stressed about it all for nothing. Besides the three of us that flew in together, one other consultant joined us and it was a nice dinner with some good laughs. And I'm not feeling 'virusy' anymore. Yay, I fly home tomorrow evening.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm in and grateful I get to control my weekends now a days versus alcohol. When drinking my life's hopes, dreams, desires went on hold at best and more likely backwards.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yay! Welcome to Weekenders RuneStone and Quincy! A sober weekend is a longer weekend (because we are conscious) we spend less money, are hangover free and will be able to do stuff we otherwise couldn't be assed.

Good luck on your surreptitious flytipping trip Gilmer.

Well done on getting through the last night Dragon, i'm glad you are feeling better.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In for the weekend, off work at the moment for vacation, but totally get what you are saying here Sao and am trying to plan ahead for next week to make sure I don't get sucked into the drinking vortex.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

What is this elusive weekend thing you speak of...

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I have a shrub that's half-dead with some mystery disease.

I just got in from cutting off all the dead limbs and stuffing them in a garbage bag.

I missed recycling day yesterday, and the regular trash truck won't take them; but I have a secret plan.

I know a supermarket where hardly anybody goes. They have three giant dumpsters behind the store. They're always empty.

The contraband is currently in my front seat. Tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn I'll go there and unload it!

Then I'll speed away and they'll be none the wiser!

Who says sobriety is boring?
Omg, Gil... this brings me back... to the beginning of this year...

In the last 3 weeks of Christmas 2016 I finished moving two housefulls of stuff into my little half duplex, December 31st being that last crazy day of moving my stuff out of my repossessed farm into the town I'm in now. January 2nd, I walked into rehab, not even coming from my own home other than a precursor stop and grab a small bag, but coming from another city an hour and a half south that I had been doing a cleaning job in, right after Christmas.

So, being that I had hastily moved in all this crap into my house, and then headed straight to treatment, my house was monstrously disastrous. I had basically tossed and piled everything in as fast as I could.
Now, on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays we'd have pass days. Wednesdays we'd have about 2.5 hrs, Saturday 9 hr, and Sunday was 4.5 hrs. I was a lucky one. I had a vehicle and I lived in town. So, my daughter and I got to go home every single pass, which was great- made the 6 weeks go by a lot easier for us.
This was a family treatment centre for anyone who doesn't know my story, I brought my 4 year old with me.

Treatment was so frikken intense and pass days were a crazy whirlwind where you'd try to get EVERYTHING done and plus a nap. And usually end up gorging on junk food and just napping. (hospital food. blech)

So, over the course of two weeks, and because I had missed and or had too much garbage on garbage days, my garbage started to pile up. In a really bad way. Like, I could not get to the dump. I kept outside what I could because it was -40, but still, ravens would get at it.
Still, I'd keep missing garbage days and besides- there's time limits on leaving our bins at the curb, tuesday morning pickups which means I'd have to put my bin out Sunday afternoon.

So, my garbage slowly accumulated over almost 3 months. It was AWFUL. It was my shameful hilarious secret. You can't stash overflow garbage so easy in the city as you can on a handful of acres of farm.

My counselor suggested I do exactly the same thing you are doing! Said she does it all the time! lmao I just about died laughing, then I went home, I intensely studied all the garbage bylaws, planned my plans, and...
Sometime mid March I think I had emptied out all the garbage in my OWN bin. Only took a few months.. haha!
Sobriety a square makes of me.
I was terrified at the prospect of getting a bylaw citation. Either from having too much garbage... or getting caught tossing it in someone else's bin.

After all the drunken stupidity I got through scot free,
I figure I can deal with cleaning up some of my own garbage myself lol

(But, I'd a done it if I had someone with me who wasn't such a scaredy cat. )

In for the weekend. Need some friends.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Old 08-11-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good day weekenders!!!!

Count the weaelman in on this swaray!

Not a lot planned so far. I was so into work this week I never looked up to see the weekend on the horizon.

Thanks for the start Sao. I loved reading it. I used to get out early and head right to the bar to meet the dealer and set my weekend up. The the light of day meant nothing till Monday.

My how times have changed.

Be well and remember to smile. Happiness is a choice.

K
Old 08-11-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I have that Friday face on. I'm going home this evening. it's been a long week of early mornings and late evenings at the office.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Memorable weekends are a good thing
Old 08-11-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Quincy! How are you?

The kids and I are enjoying a short vacation up on Lake Michigan. I didn't know how beautiful the beach was here! Prettier and closer to get to than some of the east coast places I've been. Went sailing yesterday - a first for us. The weather has been perfect, though looks to be a little chilly today.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Mission accomplished!

But there was a snag. When I went to my secret dumpster paradise, I saw that they had removed them! Plus, there was a TRUCK DRIVER, somebody with the authority to be there!

So I went to my customary supermarket, and saw a nice, big, side-opening dumpster. It was abandoned except for three parked cars. I made the drop.

As I was leaving, though, I noticed a woman in one of the cars talking on her cellphone. I assume she was just taking a break from work and gabbing with a friend. At least that's what I hope: the dumpster had a sign, "No Public Dumping. $500 Fine."

I figure if I don't hear anything about it for a whole week, then I'm home free!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm nearing some big finish lines, thanks to being able to focus with all my brain cells and due to the fact that can't seem to sleep past 5am anymore. I'm actually loving it. I get SO much done before I have to go to my first workday meeting each day.

In addition to my work project, the next three days are huge for tying up family business. I've got my hands full, for sure.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're making encouraging inroads at work, Bix.