Notices

Spring is sprung weekender 3-5 march

Old 03-02-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am in! thanks for the intro Sao!

Congrats Lorax!! 6 years is amazing and shotgun on this thread for me is unattainable!! lol!!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Other people made plans while I made excuses

^^ This
Old 03-02-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm in, please.

Autumn for us too. Can feel that the temperature is starting to ease off and the sun is definitely rising later.

Got some work to do this weekend - first time in a while. Going to rip some planks on the saw in the garage for a table. And it's time to plant some red onions.

Every now and again I'll come in and check in.

Great!
B.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In!

Hey, welcome new-to-the-thread people. My friend Bruce is here!! ^^

Rolling into March, I lovelovelove Spring. Not a chance in the world I'm going to mess up one more day of my life with a toxic poison. Nope. Not happenin'.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Spring is my favorite season. I used to go into spring with all sorts of plans for doing things outside - gardening, more outdoor exercise, games in the yard with my kids, having people over for barbeques. Inevitably, time passed and my plans were never realized, because I was too busy "having fun" drinking. This will be my third sober Spring and Summer. I might not get everything on my "good weather" list done, but it won't be because I'm drinking. And for that, I am very grateful.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

For ***** sake what's wrong with me?! I have such bad cravings again lately and just on my way home I have to pass like a hundred shops that have liquor on display. I stare at them like an obsessed idiot which I probably am. I don't have the energy to fight it, it's so exhausting. I feel like I'm trapped in a nightmare.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
For ***** sake what's wrong with me?! I have such bad cravings again lately and just on my way home I have to pass like a hundred shops that have liquor on display. I stare at them like an obsessed idiot which I probably am. I don't have the energy to fight it, it's so exhausting. I feel like I'm trapped in a nightmare.
You're okay, it's just a thought. All thoughts pass and they pass more quickly when I just say, "Hm. There's a drinking thought. I don't drink."

Fighting it is worse. Just acknowledge it and let it go...like a helium balloon.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

What Bimini said. Just a thought. Happens to everyone. Nothing wrong with you.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great weekend posts! I'm in...
Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Kevlarsjal- you are doing great! Stay busy and those feelings will pass. Remember H.A.L.T don't let yourself get Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Spider!!!!.gif (54.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am in!

Thanks, Sao - I loved "hemispherist"!!!!!!! And, I completely hate daylight savings time too.

Congrats on 6 years, Lorax!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders BruceSA and FreedomHorse. It has been a while since we had any South Africans on the thread.

Kevlarsjal as others have said, it will pass. Finding something that requires your concentration is good for bypassing cravings.

Hometime!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm in. Echoing what LadyB said. As the winter gradually slides into spring, sliding into summer, sliding into autumn, I find that the change of seasons was a trigger for me. The joyous celebration of the arrival of green grass and flowers and warmth made me think "Ooh, a drink would be so nice. I'll sit on the back porch and watch it all."

Sadly, I didn't "watch" a lot of it because I would pass in and out of consciousness, dozing under the influence of alcohol. The changing seasons is a siren call to a lot of people. Don't let it fool you and suck you in.

I'm trying to focus on a project that I must get done today at work before leaving early for the day. Hang in there everyone. Kev. It is just a thought. I used to walk past a shop where I bought alcohol to drink on the train home every day. Three years later I still think "I remember when I used to buy wine here" when I walk past. The shop has a sign in the window now "Store Closed" and I'm grateful that my sobriety outlived the shop. Just keep walking.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. I made it home without buying booze. I think I just lost it for a moment. There was definitely some scoring on the HALT scale. I was hangry (which is weird cause I had eaten just an hour before), felt lonely cause I spend my days mostly alone studying, and I didn't sleep well / much last night.
Not trying to fight these thoughts helped. I struggled with this in the very beginning and somehow couldn't remember it today. I clearly wasn't thinking straight.

I'm looking forward to spring too, I'm starting to get tired of the cold.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
In!

Hey, welcome new-to-the-thread people. My friend Bruce is here!! ^^

Rolling into March, I lovelovelove Spring. Not a chance in the world I'm going to mess up one more day of my life with a toxic poison. Nope. Not happenin'.
Heeey, Bim!!

Great to see you here, fantastic!

I think we've had enough of summer and are looking forward to a general cooling down. Our winters aren't that tough -2 is probably the worst in the morning, and maybe it gets there 2 or 3 times. You guys would still be in your swimming costumes......!!

Here's to a productive, sober weekend!
B.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Welcome to Weekenders BruceSA and FreedomHorse. It has been a while since we had any South Africans on the thread.
Thank you, saoutchik!

Was typing a response and then I lost my connection..... Must have typed a response about 3 times.....sigh.

I love living here - the weather, stunning scenery, the animals. It's just pretty far from almost anywhere which means long flights.

It's great for a holiday too with our currency getting tanked and doing a nose-dive.

I'll be popping in every now and again - want to get my hands busy again with some work this weekend.
It's great to actually plan something with a sober head and then DO it, rather than wallow around in a fuddled state.
I also like the energy of this thread - everyone chipping in, excited, plans, saying hello. This is just fantastic.
Thanks again,
B.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

£ Sterling is on the track as the Rand. Pretty soon tourists will be able to afford to eat out in London!

Interesting Ruby that the shop you used to buy your poison is closed. The off license where I bought most of mine is now an Estate Agent (Realtor). I think I was there best customer.

Thursday night is laundry night at Saoutchik Towers. Boring!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sao, I'm still miles away from being able to afford eating out in London. I was there over Christmas visiting my BFs parents and I was shocked at how much a day ticket for the train costs, I doubt I paid more for the flight!

I think doing laundry can be quite relaxing. And it gives me a feeling of achievement without having to actively do much (assuming you wash your laundry in the washing machine and not in the Thames).
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

bimini, love the balloon idea!

Ruby, indeed, something about the smell of spring and new life. Glad we don't waste it anymore.

Welcome to all the newcomers and I have to say, I am quite happy to see some familiar names here from a while back.

There is strength in numbers. I think I forgot to say this in my first post but I am definitely in!