Notices

Spring is sprung weekender 3-5 march

Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm in! This will be my 11th sober weekend since I quit, as usual heading to the hill with my son for some snowboarding, only this time I'll be wearing a ski patrol jacket and looking out for people in distress, what a change from my first snowboard day of the season feeling so hung over and crappy that I decided to stop.

I'm a little sad that we only have 3 weekends left till the hill closes for the season, it's been my go to and a big help in staying on track, I'll figure something else out I'm sure.

Today marks day 75 no drinking and tomorrow I'm trying to give up smoking, trying to plan it so I run out of cigarettes at bed time, lol.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Do your best

I thought Spring starts officially on the 20th Sao either way big hello to everyone and see you all soon x
Old 03-02-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome back Sober wolf.

Lovely to hear from you again

We missed you.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Soberwolf! As you can see from the Met Office link there are a couple of dates to choose from so I chose the one that suited my OP

When does spring start? - Met Office

Sportdeck good luck with the non smoking, I reckon you just about have enough sober time to be able to quit the ciggies as well.

Kevlarsjal - the UK rail network is the world's most expensive per mile, a complete rip off.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm in. Bring on the sunshine and warm weather. The rain has become a bit depressing here.

I'll be headed out on Sunday to visit family for the next week. Day 100 today. Feeling good!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I have an exciting weekend ahead. Hopefully one of these will be more interesting than last weekend's offerings. I don’t have much hope for the bottom two.

As usual tinypic has my picture upside down.

Anyway even my parents have a more exciting weekend ahead. One of my father's former students is getting some kind of award from the university and the people there thought it would be nice for my parents to be there too. My dad is eager to go. He bought a new suit and all I hear. My mom is not so eager but she has gotten her hair done and bought new shoes. A few years ago she wouldn't leave the house at all but now she is going to parties and things. Maybe it's time for all of us to leave the baggage behind.

Of the two of them my mom was always the one who had the most to say. My dad is quieter like me, but I have been at dinner parties with him and groups of lawyers and he has plenty to say. He can work a crowd so to speak and have people hanging on his every word.

The last time he was asked back to a work function my mom and I were asking how it went? He said "well I arrived and people were saying you look well. Retirement suits you". So we asked him what he said. He replied "I smiled and without missing a beat told them 'well you know I have to keep up with the Kardashians!" There was a split second of silence before they erupted into laughter. Probably more about the fact that dad knows who the Kardashians are

He does keep up to date with stuff. My parents get up around 8 AM, feed the bunny then sit down to their own breakfast and my mom reads things out loud from the newspaper. It's actually quite nice.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Tetra, your post makes me excited for the old age! What you wrote about your parents life sounds so nice and peaceful.

I've read some of Sophie kinsellas books in my teenage years and thought they were an okay and easy read for the beach when you want to give your brain a break from life.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders rainypnw, congratulations on 100 days.

I have spun your pic round Tetra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170302_233734.jpg (29.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yeah, exactly "easy read" which is why I threw in the one by Mohsin Hamid

A while ago I met a friend of my dad's in the bookshop and he suggested "The Reluctant Fundamentalist". I like to read different things
Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm in for the weekend. Still with health crisis in family. Presently at hospital. I'm not able to read or enjoy SR much right now. But...

Grateful to be sober.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm in.

No real plans for the weekend as I'm getting dining chairs delivered at an unspecified time on Saturday, and will probably have to wait in all day for them.

Tomorrow (Friday) I have film club in the evening. A group of friends gets together once a month or so and we watch a film (the host chooses). It usually involves wine; but I think I'll take a bottle of AF prosecco and stick to that. My friends are used to me drinking a lot, and I'm sure there will be comments, so I'll need to think of something to shut them up. Maybe I'll tell them I'm expecting twins - that should stop them in their tracks (I'm 58) . I'm not ready to go public just yet.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm in, but not doing good. I will be shipping off to rehab tomorrow after work. I need help with my recovery plan.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Best of luck, RainbowBird.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It's a really good thing you're doing, RainbowBird.

Bixy, hugs and prayers.

I am trying to limit my time on the internet. I came on to log my food and exercise for the day and wouldn't you know, I just typed in soberrecovery by habit.

It's raining, I had a nice windy walk in the woods today - the trees were dancing to the music of the wind. It was beautiful.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Great Rainbowbird! You know what you need and are going for it. Kudos to you!
I'm so grateful the weekend is almost here! I am so tired. I have only made plans as far as Friday night, meeting a friend and then going to a meeting.
I want to spend some time outdoors, get my car and room cleaned up really well and rest a lot. I also want to plan some time to go and visit my dad in Florida. He's really lonesome since his wife left and took the dog. But, he drinks beer. Hmmmm. Will need to think this one out.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Too true, saoutchik,

Nothing like a 5 course McDonalds to appreciate fine cuisine.

I think there are more South Africans running around London than there are in Pretoria...

Me too, LadyBlue. Good to see "everyone", of course, but especially some of the names from our "generation".
B.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's raining, I had a nice windy walk in the woods today - the trees were dancing to the music of the wind. It was beautiful.
Hmm. Sounds magnificent.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's a really good thing you're doing, RainbowBird.

Bixy, hugs and prayers.

I am trying to limit my time on the internet. I came on to log my food and exercise for the day and wouldn't you know, I just typed in soberrecovery by habit.

Thank you, Bim. Was thinking earlier about how odd it is that...at the extremes in life, it really does mean something to be told someone is praying for you. It is an expression of solidarity and hope that I'm surprised to appreciate, myself, and I can see what it means to my affected family members, too.

Loved your imagery from your walk.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

I discovered Maccas still do pancakes
lol...

D
Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorax1981 View Post
I'm ready for spring. We've had lots of rain and snow here and I am ready for some sunshine. I'm big into RC cars these days and I built a track on my property but racin' in the rain and mud isn't much fun. Also looking forward to having a BBQ sittin by the fire before it gets too dry. I have 6 years sober today AND got the shotgun on the weekender. What can I say? Happy weekend y'all!
6 years!! So awesome, Lorax!!!