Notices

Spring is sprung weekender 3-5 march

Old 03-08-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

BC...I agree with Bim. And also... It is just Wednesday...can you pick the one 3-hour-thing you want most to do and do it? Might give you a charge.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is Budget Day in the UK. As of 6pm a 35pence has been added to a pack of 20 cigarettes taking the price of a pack to £10 - equivalent to $12.50

From Monday 2p on a pint of beer, 10p on a bottle of wine and 30p on a bottle of spirits

When i quit smoking in 1988 they were £1.49 for 20.

Glad I no longer indulge.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

What is "Budget Day"? Is that when the new taxes are imposed? Sounds like.

When my state went from state-controlled liquor sales to buy-it-anywhere the taxes went up a lot. Buy a $10 bottle of spirits, pay about $6 in taxes on top of that. Good. I guess. I don't know, I voted against taking the state out of it. I still think it's a bad idea to sell liquor everywhere.

Nobody listens to me. :-|
Old 03-08-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

I am going to clean today, I swear. lol
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

In Aust, one cigarette is very close to one dollar.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
What is "Budget Day"? Is that when the new taxes are imposed? Sounds like.

When my state went from state-controlled liquor sales to buy-it-anywhere the taxes went up a lot. Buy a $10 bottle of spirits, pay about $6 in taxes on top of that. Good. I guess. I don't know, I voted against taking the state out of it. I still think it's a bad idea to sell liquor everywhere.

Nobody listens to me. :-|
You got it biminiblue, taxation and spending (I am listening bim)

PhoenixJ that makes ciggies about 20% pricier than the UK. I think that is a good thing but then i am an ex smoker and can be an insufferable bore about it.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Thank you guys - and Sao - for checking on me when I hadn't posted so much. Brenda said something a while back about how Facebook and SR had kind of become an addiction of sorts and I had felt the same. I had been trying to get myself out of the online world and back into the real one a little bit more but I don't think it will work out as I love SR and my friends here.

Anyway my parents had an ok time at their party thing. My mother met a woman she used to know and she had been trying to avoid her for years. But she chatted to her that night and she was asking my mom about us - the 'children' and how we are getting on. So my mom told her 'Tetra works at the hospital and my son lives and works in the US. And my other daughter was married but they broke up". The lady nodded in sympathy and said "yes I heard about that. But look if it wasn't working isn't it for the best that it is all over? Your kids did well for themselves in the end".

So basically my mom spent years hiding from people to avoid telling them about my sister but it turns out everyone knows everything anyway. We laughed a lot at that. The result of living in a small 'city' I guess. There's a lesson here somewhere.

I got a call from a patient today. She said when she left the clinic today the doctor did not give her the prescription. I asked her which doctor saw her? The answer I got was "the Hindu one".

Now there are no Hindus working in our department but I knew instantly who she was talking about. I found the doctor and I was only trying to make a silly joke. I said "here's a message for the Hindu doctor". He was kind of laughing but also insulted I think and said "the cheek of her. I'm not a Hindu. I'm from Pakistan and not India" and it kind of went downhill from there. I didn't think he would care as he has been living here for 20 + years. Note to self: mind your Ps and Qs at work. Although I wouldn't give a damn if someone thought I was...I don't know... not a Catholic. I don't go to mass every week but I do pray. For example I loved my Gran and I do think I'll see her again. I don't even refer to myself as Catholic. I don't know. It's a minefield out there.

Lesson learned.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Lol! Mistaking a Pakistani for an Indian is likely to cause a stir as they are bitter rivals (to put it mildly) over Kashmir.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I just transfer my addiction to different objects. Looking back it seems like I only stayed sober so that I could come here and brag and be better than someone who didn't have as many days as I did. My ego just needs something to feel holier than thou. If I was counting days I would be on day one, and that doesn't mean anything to me. 193 days didn't mean anything to me either. Sometimes I wonder why I confine myself to this identity. I run to this addiction recovery support forum every day, many times a day, and wonder why I can't move forward in my life.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Thank you guys - and Sao - for checking on me when I hadn't posted so much. Brenda said something a while back about how Facebook and SR had kind of become an addiction of sorts and I had felt the same. I had been trying to get myself out of the online world and back into the real one a little bit more but I don't think it will work out as I love SR and my friends here.

Anyway my parents had an ok time at their party thing. My mother met a woman she used to know and she had been trying to avoid her for years. But she chatted to her that night and she was asking my mom about us - the 'children' and how we are getting on. So my mom told her 'Tetra works at the hospital and my son lives and works in the US. And my other daughter was married but they broke up". The lady nodded in sympathy and said "yes I heard about that. But look if it wasn't working isn't it for the best that it is all over? Your kids did well for themselves in the end".

So basically my mom spent years hiding from people to avoid telling them about my sister but it turns out everyone knows everything anyway. We laughed a lot at that. The result of living in a small 'city' I guess. There's a lesson here somewhere.

I got a call from a patient today. She said when she left the clinic today the doctor did not give her the prescription. I asked her which doctor saw her? The answer I got was "the Hindu one".

Now there are no Hindus working in our department but I knew instantly who she was talking about. I found the doctor and I was only trying to make a silly joke. I said "here's a message for the Hindu doctor". He was kind of laughing but also insulted I think and said "the cheek of her. I'm not a Hindu. I'm from Pakistan and not India" and it kind of went downhill from there. I didn't think he would care as he has been living here for 20 + years. Note to self: mind your Ps and Qs at work. Although I wouldn't give a damn if someone thought I was...I don't know... not a Catholic. I don't go to mass every week but I do pray. For example I loved my Gran and I do think I'll see her again. I don't even refer to myself as Catholic. I don't know. It's a minefield out there.

Lesson learned.
Yeah I have noticed people share things like that with each other and not seem to mind that it is so negative.. I would feel the same way you did, embarrassed and guilty for making him feel bad, even though it was just passing on something someone else had said. But I also notice that people somehow.. bond.. over things like that. I don't know why.

By the way, if you were baptized Catholic, you are Catholic. If you were and you don't go to mass, you're a non-practicing Catholic. If you're like me, not baptized and sometimes go to mass, you're just a Christian, you're not Catholic until you're baptized.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Dragon
Thanks saou.... not too sure though.....
Now Mr p has work issues we need to think over... more sleepless nights for me.... night guys xx
Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Keep me company until 9pm rolls around and the stores close?

These episodes of Grey's Anatomy I'm currently watching are really dark. For those who have seen season five, it's the middle of the season where Izzie finds out from her dead ex-fiance that she's dying, and Meredith helps that death row inmate and then goes to his execution.. I used to like dark stuff like this. I should shut this off and watch a Disney movie.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Pink cloud, that was the term I was looking for this morning. I think that's it bix I don't feel that elation anymore. Hopefully I'm not swinging the other way!
Off to the gym! Later.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

I could go to the gym..
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hello, darkness, my old friend....

Good grief. I'm bored.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Oh, my gosh tetra. It IS a minefield out there.

I made a faux pas/accidentally racist remark too (apparently...) and in my defense, I don't keep up with pop culture and didn't know that _ _ _ _ _ _ _ was a "wrong" word.

Nope. I won't tell you.

It's a minefield.

I giggled at your story.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Meanings of words and phrases shift over time, and may be different between one age group and another, or between one ethnic group and another..

But one that comes to mind because I see it on fb a lot lately is "dropping knowledge". It means to.. um.. engage in sexual acts? And the person using it isn't aware that it means anything other than to educate/share information.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Well I feel better now. A successful evening at the gym. I guess it's that I've been getting discouraged with my progress at running and I haven't felt that morning 'pink cloud' elation in a few days.

As I was running I rolled around in my mind the thought that I will never drink again. I'm at ease with that now. I started working on that stance about two weeks after I first quit, starting with "well if I'm serious about this I guess I won't drink at the (next event) ". Having the 'pink cloud' effect made it that all the more easier to say I don't drink. So I thought well, If I'm going to loose that boost then I'll need to re-enfornce my commitment. so...

I will never drink again, and I will not change my mind.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, thank you fellow Weekenders for providing me with knowledge i would not have learned elsewhere. Dropping knowledge, who knew?

I will be starting the new Weekenders thread in about three or four hours. It wouldn't do to open the new one while it is still Wednesday evening for the west coasters.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Morning guys.
The things we learn on here.. .. good grief I lead a sheltered life!
See you on the new thread.
Hugs xx