Notices

Kcey

Old 02-20-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Does that sound like I only drank on Saturdays / if only/ I need a laptop not everything comes out the way I mean it to sound.
But I hope you get my gist and realise how grateful i am for your words of wisdom and for being around.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kcey View Post
I'm just trying to relax and I keep having really bad anxiety attacks I'm not actually craving a drink I'm ok there but I just keep getting a knot in the pit of my stomach and I feel scared and tearry. I am sad for the last couple of years, it feels a bit like grief. I don't know what else to say, I think I just need to tell someone and get it off my chest.
I'm only using an iPhone so it's hard to type I think I need to invest in a laptop
This is totally normal given the circumstances. I had terrible daily anxiety for a month. It has gone down and down as time passed. I felt very uncomfortable, in general, as well.

I didn't join here until I was a couple of months into sobriety, but what helped me is to read other peoples experiences. It gave me comfort knowing that what I was going through was normal under the circumstances. Also, that I would improve. That motivated me to keep going.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Yes it's definitely helped me reading what people have posted also I've have had a few aimless ramblings that has helped me over a blip
Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Midget Gems...Anxiety & Polar Bears ... OH MY! (My interpretation of the Wizard of Oz).....

You are doing great. Just wanted to tell you that...Just stay away from the fags. I gave them up 4 years ago this year! You guys make me laugh. I have the acronyms figured out. But I am in the U.S. Sometimes I have no clue of what we are speaking of! HAHAHA... Stay safe. Stay sober!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Haha I will try not to twist your melon too much
Old 02-20-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Don't make me Google that. Oh know..I will. If I ever go out of the U.S. I will know the lingo!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Bez from the happy Mondays used to say it when someone was messing with his brain (twisting his melon)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Happy to see you made it through the weekend Kcey. Hooray for you! Fantastic job. Keep it going.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi thanks day 9 and I'm feeling good. It's good to wake up feeling ok no hangover and no shame.
How was your weekend, did you get your little projects done, what's a little project anyway, fixing a toaster/ building a boat of knitting a hat just curious
Old 02-21-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Been the gym tonight- it was good- going to be in agony tomorrow but going again Thursday/ someone said until you find out the root cause of drinking you shouldn't substitute it with exercise as this is just band aiding the real problem and if you hurt your Ancle you won't be able to exercise so you could revert back to drinking- but what if you haven't actually got a root cause- just an addictive personality/ can anybody throw any light on this or have an opinion thanks guys
Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Kcey, do what YOU want. This is your life, your recovery.

Take what you want and leave the rest (free advice is worth what you pay for it, ya know?)

Some people have underlying traumas, mental illnesses, or maladaptive ways of looking at life and they may need extra attention to those issues in order to remain sober.

I think exercise was and is one of the best things you can do in life, not just in early recovery. Pay no attention.

Exercise is good for you. I have a mantra, "Do only that which is good for you."

Well done.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I totally agree with you thanks / just wanted to know if anyone had heard this before as it was a first for me - some people baffle me.
Thanks again wise one
Old 02-21-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Oh and by the way I loved every minute of it and feel I'm getting my self back again
Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

If you break your ankle, you can post here 24/7.

Don't break your ankle!

Oh, and there is a Fitness subforum here with threads about other peoples' exercise and nutrition and stuff. You may find some kindred spirits there. Here's the link:

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-21-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

It *could* be said that "an addictive personality" is rooted in anxiety and compulsion, too. Those are things some of us have to work on daily or we can just transfer addictions. I think that's the underlying sentiment beneath that thought.

Anxiety and compulsion are usually fear-based as well, and learning to stop those fearful thoughts can stop the compulsive behaviors for some people. Some need medication, some can make it work with mindfulness, nutrition, exercise, routine, regular sleep, stress reduction, meditating or prayer. There are lots of self-treatments for anxiety. Exercise is one of the best natural treatments for a lot of people. It burns off all that excess nervous energy.

The question is, "What will you do if you can't exercise?" That is a worthwhile thing for you to ponder, just in case.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Very good point- it's all relative.

I won't break my ankle. I think with the trainer I have I will just die of natural causes first: he kept shouting Keep Going YOUR NOT DEAD YET. God help me !!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

If I can't exercise I will weed the garden and paint the fence and the decking / I can do all that on my knees.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Unless I break my arms of course then I will watch mindless TV and my body weight in midget gems !!!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
The best way out is through -- Robert Frost

biminiblue, I love everything you wrote! Kcey, this is YOUR recovery; you are going to read/hear a lot of information and advice. The best part? You get to choose what works for you! Your recovery is unique to you!

Exercise has been scientifically proven to elevate mood, increase energy, decrease anxiety and stress, and improve sleep ... sounds pretty good to me! Of course, it is possible to overdo it, but it can be an important part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle.

As biminiblue said, people have different ways of managing their sobriety. It is an experimental process, trying to find your own way, but it is also an adventure, an ever-evolving adventure!

Here are some things that work for me:

* mindfulness
* meditation
* journalling (I have a journal for general/meditation use, one for smoking/alcohol cessation, and one for narcissistic abuse recovery!)
* exercising
* walking my dogs
* preparing healthful, delicious meals -- and trying new recipes!
* caring for my space
* playing outside
* sleep routine -- same time, sipping rooibos, reading

The simple things in life but now I can enjoy and take my time with them. They are simple but create complex feelings of joy and relief and gratitude.

You are doing such a great job of finding healthy ways to spend your time! What is your favourite exercise? It sounds like your personal trainer is vigorous and effective!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
The best way out is through -- Robert Frost

Originally Posted by WenRiver View Post
Here are some things that work for me:

* mindfulness
* meditation
* journalling (I have a journal for general/meditation use, one for smoking/alcohol cessation, and one for narcissistic abuse recovery!)
* exercising
* walking my dogs
* preparing healthful, delicious meals -- and trying new recipes!
* caring for my space
* playing outside
* sleep routine -- same time, sipping rooibos, reading
Tee-hee ... Yep! I am quoting myself! Why? Because ... I needed to add to my list

* SR -- a huge part of my support AND social networks, providing support, guidance, and camaraderie.