Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Day 7 here. Yesterday was very difficult, and Im so thankful I didn't drink. Waking up today refreshed was a gift. I went to bed at 7PM last night and woke up at 10AM, lol. Although I woke up several times in between.

Glad to have all of you to get sober with. There is no way to do this alone. Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Day 8. Week 2
I am excited to be starting my next sober week with you all. This forum has been a huge help, so thank you all.
Sleep is getting better. Structure in my life feels nice again, even though, like many of you, dealing with the ramifications of my previous life is not fun. Even less so, sober.
That said, have a wonderful week. Looking forward to continuing this journey.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Cara

Thanks Cara!..it is just a thought ..yes..but it can plunge you momentarily into the depths of despair..so powerful...
Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on those 8 days guys

Glad you're doing well Northernass - if I have one piece of advice tho it's to not hang around drinkers too much too soon...I've been fine with it before too and then suddenly, without conscious thought, pulled out a glass to join them the next time they came around.

D
Old 01-08-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Why hang around drinkers at all, especially this early in recovery? It's just asking for trouble. There's nothing to be gained, it just seems like a terrible idea to me.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Hi all, having a great day at work. I wanted to drink at lunchtime.
So had my lunch which I packed. I normally just work through and don't eat.
Feel better.
Every day could be day 1 - not today though
Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Very quiet here tonight. I've resorted to playing word games in the social groups!
Agree with avoiding drinking friends. At least in the early days. In fact avoid all people, places and 'things' associated with previous addictive behaviour.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
Hey all, at my pc now.
You're right CircleWagons, I should get the tablet fixed. When I've saved enough from not wasting it on poison. Every good class seems to have a "glue person" to hold it all together. Hope you can step up to the mark. No pressure

Testing day yesterday. Mrs S suffers mental problems (paranoid delusion) and continues to drink whilst being in denial about her addiction. I think that seeing me get sober and dealing with it scares the hell out of her. She seems determined to undermine any chance of my continuing sobriety. I'm treating her like my AV at the moment. It's difficult, but there you go. We'll probably end up separating, but I'll deal with that as it comes along. And I'll deal with it sober.
In fact I've quite a lot to deal with; separation, unemployment, depression, bankruptcy, eviction from my house etc etc.

Years of burying my head in a bottle of vodka have really helped. Yeah right!!

Aside from all that I'm in a very good mood Go figure!! probably the pink cloud, but that's alright too for a while.
Going to take my German Sheppard for another walk now. He's the happiest dog in Cork at the moment with all these walkies. 3 or 4 a day!!!!!
I did warn you about my sharing honestly and make no apologies for it. WHATEVER it takes, I will NEVER drink again, and I will NEVER change my mind.

Peace, Love and Strength to you all.
My mum used to do this when my dad had just quit drinking Among other things, she would leave glasses of booze around the house, in his office etc. I know it's called enabling, and I think there's another term for it, but I can't remember what. Basically, she was furious to be drinking alone. She saw it as an attack on her, and how she was living her life.

Don't put up with her trying to damage your progress. She likely doesn't even know why she is trying to undermine you, and will be feeling anger/hurt/confusion that you aren't in the drinking bubble with her anymore. Stay strong.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
Very quiet here tonight. I've resorted to playing word games in the social groups!
Agree with avoiding drinking friends. At least in the early days. In fact avoid all people, places and 'things' associated with previous addictive behaviour.
I'm here Sparkos! First day back at work, and I've run out of things to do, haha

I told my husband I have a drinking problem about an hour ago. Terrifying but feels good as well. I also told him that our bottle of Amaretto didn't mysteriously evaporate in the sun, LOL. We both had a bit of a laugh and a hug about it.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Thanks BbyB , that made me smile.
It sounds like a lovely relationship with your husband. It's great to have support at home.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

How do I join the class of January 2017?

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to all you guys

D
Hi!
Am I part of the Jan 17 class simply by posting on this thread?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by BrickbyBrick83 View Post
. I also told him that our bottle of Amaretto didn't mysteriously evaporate in the sun, LOL. We both had a bit of a laugh and a hug about it.
This made me lol. What a fab couple you are <3

Originally Posted by drash11 View Post
Hi!
Am I part of the Jan 17 class simply by posting on this thread?

Thanks
Yes,you're one of us now

///

Well, I fell to sleep from 5pm till my daughter woke me up at 10pm to say she's going to bed. O.o Now I'm wide awake... And, have to be up in another 6 hours hmmm.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard to your class drash11.
Post and share often. I hate getting lonely in here!!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I'm here with you Sparkos. Although, I just realized I'm hungry, maybe that's why I can't get back to sleep. So I'm going to make a sandwich and see if that changes anything.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Enjoy the sarnie JDM.
I'm going to try for some shut eye it's 01:30.
Night all.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Im here too. Its nice to read about your positive strides. Keep trucking.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Day 9... but who's counting :P

Day 9 and still sober!!

Wife yesterday: " Very proud of you."

Nice to have support. We have alcohol all over the house but it doesn't phase me any more. It's just there. She doesn't have a drinking problem so I don't think it's fair to get rid of it all. I've imposed MY problem on her for years.
She's quite able just to have one beer before dinner or a glass of wine. It's something that I could never do and I envied her for it. I was true to " One drink is too many. A hundred not enough."

My last drink was on New year's and can't even tell you what it was.

Still hard to fall asleep. Up till 3am most nights. I'm saying no to offers of alcohol on our social occasions and get the raised eyebrow look. I suppose it comes from my previous behaviour. Not looking forward to the eventual question... " Not drinking anymore?" But I know that for a long time there's been a lot of behind my back discussions on how much I drank. It still makes feel embarrassed and ashamed.

I remember not long ago my step-son saying, (don't remember the context)... "He was probably too drunk to remember." He said it in a matter-of-fact way. I felt so indignated, embarrassed, gutted, etc by the comment. He's only 9yrs old. I didn't have a reply. I was sooooo ashamed. I had no words. Wife later asked me if I was ok. She said " Don't be upset with him. It's what he sees." Just wanted to shed a tear.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Hey all. Seems like a lot of our class had a good day. Congrats to all on another day on this journey (9 days Dave! Way to go. ). I kept extremely busy and was out and about most of the day. Triggers could not keep up with my fast moving arse.

Sparkos- sorry to hear about your Sitch; I have been through a separation and subsequent divorce, all the while I continued drinking. As you can guess, it made the situation worse and led to some choices I probabaly would not have made sober. You got this. Keep posting.

CW is tired and grateful to be sober. Early bed here in a few, as I am back to work tomorrow. Good night (or, good day) to you all. And, welcome to the new joiners today (drash11).
Old 01-08-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Day 8 and still sober.
Last night was a bit rough as most of my friends went out partying, but I just kept myself busy cleaning and on this forum and it paid off. Not only did I not wake up with a hangover, but a friend of mine asked me to go horseback riding at the last minute and I went. Something I normally would never do! Usually Sunday's consist of hiding in a dark place in shame trying to piece together the night before.
It felt so nice to be actively participating in my life in a fun and healthy way again.
I hope everyone had a great weekend.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Glad to see folks doing well. Im sober, but had a frustrating night. I had a conversation with my sister (the one in recovery) and tried to confront her with my concerns about us coexisting in AA. She very much goes out of her way NOT to appease them. It is a problem. I have so wanted to drink all night but have held off. Huge trigger for me.

Im getting on the phone tomorrow about taking a serious step to get out of this town, be it rehab, whatever. I need to make a change.

Congrats to all who made it through the weekend. Im grateful I have. Have a good night everyone.