Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Recovering

Back on the wagon

I'm back after a year's drinking. And though it's always lovely to talk to such a great group of supportive people, I kinda wish I did not need to be back.

I had nearly four years sober, and then was tempted to have 'an evening of a few beers'. That 'evening' has lasted the best part of a year. I've wasted money, time, and energy - giving up something so good and precious for the sake of beer and alcohol. So I'm feeling humbled with somewhat of a sense of failure, but also I see a glimpse of new light again. I'm 8 days in to sobriety again. I hate these early days and weeks but know they will pass.

I really appreciate this place. I just wish I had come here when I needed to last year. Perhaps I knew what I would hear and wanted to pretend things were different. This time I'll stay close to help.

I did come back as 'emjay2017' a few days ago. I think I was a bit ashamed to come back as me, but I realise now that was unnecessary and a bit daft.

I have a stinking cold as well. I promise not to drink today, but I can't promise not to be grumpy!

It sort of is lovely to see such a great crowd again though. SR is a very special place.

Michael (aka emjay 2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Well done indeed for being honest Micheal. .. in my book you have done a v brave thing, shame kept me off here and kept me drinking. .. but honestly when I am here if want to be sober to keep on everyone's good books! And it drops the blinkers from my eyes... so I am .proid of you even though I don't l know you!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Morning, class.

Welcome, Michael66. Four years sober is no small feat, and something you should be proud of!!! I have relapsed so many times, including after having two years sober a couple of times. Having a plan, recognizing my triggers, and taking action are what worked for me before. No different this time.

Congrats to all who made it through the night. So cool to wake up early here on a Sat and read all of posts from "class." 12f here this morning. More coffee needed before going to the gym later this morning. A week of not drinking is when the pink cloud usually tries to convince me that I am really OK, and one drink to reward myself is OK. Well, screw you pink cloud. I know where that leads....

Good day to all. CW.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Hi all, thanks for the words of encouragement yesterday - needed them! But here I am on day 7 What a wonderful feeling.

Last night, I began reading the Big Book and felt inspired to see how far into the steps I could go. Yes, without a sponsor - please don't judge me. I may actually go to a meeting one of these days. I ended up staying up all night doing step 4 - taking an inventory of my resentments. Goodness me, I never knew I had so many! Oddly, when I woke up a few small miracles had happened. My car problem (broke down/couldn't afford to fix) has been solved and I'd been paid a big cheque that I'd been owed for quite some time. O.o Now, I'm not saying that all that praying and the list making worked overnight but I definitely feel like it shifted something. I'm going to continue on with the other 3 lists. I find it encouraging.

Anyway just sharing. Will catch up on thread now and see how everyone is doing x
Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi Michael nee Emjay.
I know exactly how you feel. I too am coming back with my tail between my legs and was embarrassed to re-engage with my Oct 2014 class. Of course I was welcomed back with no judgements and I'm really happy to be involved in SR again.
Our approaches sound similar Circlewagons . You express it very well. Thank you.
Best wishes everyone.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi class
Day 7 of my new routine.
Feeling relieved to have some structure back. Like many of you, beginning to see ,with sober eyes, just what a car wreck of a life I created with my hands off the wheel.
In the past, I used to beat myself up and numb all this. Not this time.
This time, it is about liking myself, embracing reality, and trying to change it. Not running away from it.
Day 7 feels great. Looking forward to tomorrow and sharing next week with you all.
Best of luck today, classmates.

Last edited by dontlookbacchus; 01-07-2017 at 06:13 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Happy Sober Saturday!
We finally had snow yesterday and I put out seed in the feeders for the first time in a couple of years.
Something me and the furbabies enjoy is watching the birds, so I'm excited to see them out there -
as soon as they figure out our Peep Cafe is open again!

Cardinals are my favorite!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Checking in on the morning of Day 7. Watched the sun rise on this lovely day and felt infinitely grateful and humbled to be above ground, healthy and not poisoning myself.

Sitting in quiet reflection and thinking about how far I have come and how much work is still to be done.

Thank you all for being on this journey with me.

ABW1
Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

michael66

what an amazing achievement..4 years!
I admire your honesty..i never had that much time under my belt..but can appreciate where you are coming from..i had 6 month, and was offered a glass of wine..and took it. never thought a thing about it.
This Jonah is always going to be just over our shoulder..i hope i find the strength to deal with the freak.
Hugs to you.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulShine8 View Post
Happy Sober Saturday!
We finally had snow yesterday and I put out seed in the feeders for the first time in a couple of years.
Something me and the furbabies enjoy is watching the birds, so I'm excited to see them out there -
as soon as they figure out our Peep Cafe is open again!

Cardinals are my favorite!
Beautiful Soulshine!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Just finished catching up on everyone's progress. Looking good guys. Feels good to be on the the sober path. I didn't have any struggles last night thank God so Day 11 here. committing myself to another 24 AF.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Good morning. Waking up on day 6 to gloomy weather. Feeling some pent up frustration that Im trying to get a grasp on. Im not sure the core underlying root of it. Its basically just a level of overall dissatisfaction with my life. I suppose drinking has a lot to do with that, but there are other factors as well. Sometimes life just isn't fair. Before I would have used this as an excuse to drink. More venting I guess.

Anyway, hope everyone has a good day and stays sober. Im going to try to hit a couple of meetings despite the weather. Sorry if this is a doom and gloomy post, I wish I felt more positive. Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. At least I don't have a hangover
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Day eight today - sat in my living room with a coffee, wondering what to do with myself as no one else is up. So scrolling through the forums instead. It has been years since I got up this early. It's very strange! Normally I would wake up in the night (Sav 'O Clock), with a headache and super dry throat, then go back to sleep in an attempt to shift it until at least 8am (I work from home).

Glanced in the mirror on the way out of the bedroom, and was shocked by how good my skin and eyes look. No redness, no puffy eyes. Just smooth, clear skin. I keep touching it as it's such a novelty, haha.

Hope everyone else is doing well today. The pink cloud comment made me laugh, Circlewagons. I'm feeling really good in myself now, and have been getting those afternoon callings. The pink cloud is a nasty lier though, so I'm not talking to it anymore. Will read the posts on here instead.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good day all. I've been remise in posting for the last few days but I have continued to maintain my sobriety. I am at day 8 today. What a week this has been. I've been so thankful to wake up each morning without a hangover! It seems like it's been a long while since I've actually had a clear head in the mornings. I haven't counted the 1 or 2 days that I have not drank in the past. I think it takes me a few days to clear out the alcohol cobwebs from my brain and actually think clear-headedly. My evenings have been spent reading posts but I've been so tired that I've regularly fallen asleep on the couch and then taken myself off to bed. Strange, this is what I would do when drinking; drink until I pass out or black out. But now I'm sleeping through the night and waking up in much better shape in the morning. I've really been inspired by all the posts from others relating their successes as well as struggles. It's like reading so much of my own story. Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. I remember you all daily.

Labgirl
Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

7 days sober guys & lost 7lb in weight & saved a bloody fortune already. It has been nice to drive at 8 or 9 oclock at night & know that im sober and not drunk at home. lets keep going boys & girls !
Old 01-07-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 4 here.

Had an interesting moment today while working on a house with the owners gone. While cleaning up, I noticed a bottle of scotch on the bar next to some plastic cups. Of course the thought occurred to me:

Hmmm, I've been ON EDGE the past couple of days. Now that I'm committed to sobriety, I could pour myself a couple of fingers, take it home, take the edge off. I'm mean it's not like I'm going to start drinking again!!!

Went out to my car, prayed, found some calm sanity, went back in to finish collecting my stuff, looked at the bottle on the way out and thought:

Eff you.

(from the Hazelden Thought of the Day:

When temptation comes, as it does some times to all of us, I will say to myself: "No, my whole life depends on not taking that drink and nothing in the world can make me do it." Besides, I have promised that Higher Power that I wouldn't do it. I know that God doesn't want me to drink and I won't break my promise to God. I've given up my right to drink and it's not my decision any longer. )

Last edited by columbus; 01-07-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add a note
Old 01-07-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Like Dee posted, it's really common to come down with a cold, flu or other form of grunge during the first few months. I think almost everyone in the Feb 2016 class got sick at about the same time. It was really weird and unexpected. A couple months later the whole class experienced cravings for ice cream, Blizzards, Blasts, and Mcflurrys. It was kind of fun, something I'll never forget.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Day 4 here.

Had an interesting moment today while working on a house with the owners gone. While cleaning up, I noticed a bottle of scotch on the bar next to some plastic cups. Of course the thought occurred to me:

Hmmm, I've been ON EDGE the past couple of days. Now that I'm committed to sobriety, I could pour myself a couple of fingers, take it home, take the edge off. I'm mean it's not like I'm going to start drinking again!!!

Went out to my car, prayed, found some calm sanity, went back in to finish collecting my stuff, looked at the bottle on the way out and thought:

Eff you.

(from the Hazelden Thought of the Day:

When temptation comes, as it does some times to all of us, I will say to myself: "No, my whole life depends on not taking that drink and nothing in the world can make me do it." Besides, I have promised that Higher Power that I wouldn't do it. I know that God doesn't want me to drink and I won't break my promise to God. I've given up my right to drink and it's not my decision any longer. )
Good job Columbus. I have sort of the same habit: almost from day one I would flip off the places I used to buy booze when I drive by, and even now I sometimes take pictures of me flipping off booze displays in stores and texting them to SR friends. It's a weird habit, but it's fun, and it greatly amuses my SR text friends. Eff you, booze.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 7 here.
Waking up on a Saturday sober certainly is a new experience for me. It's funny though, I still woke up this morning and the first thing I thought was "what did I do last night?!?" I guess it's just a habit now. Then I had a little chuckle to myself and had the biggest smile knowing I fell asleep in bed watching a hallmark movie! haha

It was a small moment but felt unbelievable!!! Also no hangover also was awesome.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Way to not give in Columbus. I think that's the attitude I need to take, Outonthetiles. One of contempt for booze. It tricks you into thinking its your friend. Well its no friend!

Ive been battling cravings all day. Im basically white knuckling it at this point. I saw a commercial on tv of a guy I grew up with who's running a successful business now. My jealousy flared up. All of my misdeeds have caught up to me.

Im not gonna lie, a drink sounds real good right now. I have to keep reminding myself that I have to keep going.