Notices

Make it through to Monday Weekender Sept 9th Part 1

Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Excellent post Ken, as usual, I am in!

I too had the hardest time on the weekends. The first few months were hard watching those at work make plans for Happy Hour. I had to play the tape and realize that for me it wasn't Happy Hour it was the onset of what would become Entire Erratic Evening.

It took a while but when I began to emerge from those thoughts I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Saturday and Sunday mornings really do exist! I love getting up in the morning, grabbing a cup of coffee, and planning my day. The world is my oyster now, I am no longer stuck in bed until 2 to 5 in the afternoon with my head under a pillow. I wake up with a clear mind and am so grateful.

Love my weekends now!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Climbing aboard the sober bus!!!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
Night Ken, the Brits and Irish will be up soon and I will go to sleep too
We don't bite 😁
Old 09-08-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Struggling to get through the day. Head feels like lead. Busy afternoon, then I'll bunk home methinks. Thanks for the tips Trees!

Welcome to any new folk that have joined us. Greetings everyone else.

B
Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm in and ready to rally!

((B)) hate when that happens! Hope bedtime comes early tonight!

How's your mom this morning, Venny?xo

Congrats on shotgun, trees!!!

Welcome new bus riders! Stick with us this weekend

Last day of this Awesomely short work week for me!! Bring on the weekend!
Xo
Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

welcome aboard Mcribb and Elle126... and everyone young and old...

nice poem Midnight... and Trees on shotgun...

For those of you that are toiling away at the job all week, it's time to appreciate the weekends to the full extent. Weekends aren't supposed to be spent getting stupid and laying in bed or on the couch in the mornings regretting what we did to ourselves the night before. Getting up with the birds, or not, and just relaxing or spending time doing what you want to do - that's what it's all about.
Once you get used to waking up sober, you will discover that there is a lot of time to enjoy the weekend. No more sleeping it off over the weekend...
Old 09-08-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I love weekends now. I almost used to dread them.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm on.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Weekends are so different now. For the last few years of my drinking, I didn't have a full-time job, so I was free to drink whenever. But weekends were when everyone else was free to drink, so I still had a weekend binge pattern. I sometimes binged on weekdays, too, but weekends were the worst. I would spend Saturday and Sunday mornings with hangovers, then start drinking in the afternoon again. I'm sure most weekends my BAC never got to zero. So much wasted time. Now that I'm working, I cherish my weekends again. I can't even imagine working hard all week and then blowing my free time drinking. I get more done in a few hours Saturday mornings now than I did in probably 2 or 3 whole weekends before. It's so great!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

In it was raining when I woke. I'm geared up for rain but now it appears it can't decide. At least I'm on the train and not driving. As I waited for the train I heard a woman in a car screaming and swearing. Punctuated by "EFF EVERYONE." That would have been me at the end of the day. Hopefully her day gets better.

Behan, I hope everything is OK and this is just a temporary glitch. Maybe close your eyes for ten minutes.

MB great poem.

Thanks Weasel for the topic and getting us started.

Sundays were never days of rest. I'd be drinking still and dreading the morning to come.

I think I'm going to close my own eyes for ten minutes.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Please save me a seat. This is weekend #4. Weekends are the toughest, but it's becoming easier. One thing I hold onto is that sober the weekends don't go by so fast and I am able to get more done and have still have time for some fun and relaxation.

When I was drinking on the weekends they went by so fast. I think it's because Monday morning would roll around and I sometimes could only remember bits and pieces from the weekend so it was almost like time didn't exist (sad situation for sure). I'd have like 50,000 steps on my Fitbit and think what the heck was I doing and where did I go. Kinda funny now. Thank god no one got hurt, including me.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great job getting to weekend #4, Quincy!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Greetings fellow weekenders! I'm on the bus, and despite the 4-day work week, I'm SO looking forward to it pulling away from the station tomorrow!

Gawd, there were so many horrible Mondays. The two worst for me were when I had all-day continuing education classes. Just terrible. Couldn't eat lunch because my hands were shaking so badly. Awful. I still cringe at the memories.

I still have the knee-jerk reaction of not scheduling anything on Mondays, just in case!

SUID, to continue the conversation from last night, my vote is for "SUID," as that is what I hear when I see your posts. Also, abbreviating your old username to something short and cryptic is TOTALLY COOL.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Apparently I don't know how to log off on my iPhone. Actually haven't been here nonstop, just with you in spirit.

Weekends are so much better now. Funny how that happens when you stop waking up feeling like you've been hit by a truck.

Oddly enough I've been sleeping well on the couch in Mom's hospital room. Am in waiting room at my own doc for mandatory workers compensation follow up for check of foot after The Unfortunate Incident at the Cream Puff Stand. Then back to hospital -- eagerly awaiting discharge today!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update on your mom, Ven. Did they figure out where the bleeding came from?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you for another excellent intro Ken ... I was thinking about the shotgun thing at the beginning of this thread and what I was thinking was whoever gets shotgun gets to write the intro next week

That would be a special privilege to the shotgun poster & it would mean something

Il let Ken & Mecanix decide but it's an idea I had while out walking today

This wolf is surfing on top of the bus and is most definitely IN !!!

Thanks again for the excellent intro Ken
Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey SW.... Good idea! I am open to anyone who would like to post an intro.

I would like to say though, that if we make the shotgun a competition for a prize rather than something for just fun and silliness that someone's feeling might get bruised or cause undo friction for a bunch that has a lot going on just to stay sober. We are in the newcomers and keeping a steady hand is important without the display of competitions.

I suggest that we don't hold a prize for shotgun. But if anyone wants to host a week or write an intro or even submit a topic that you can contact me via IM and we can work out when.

We used to have a few folks that liked to start the weekender and we wound up with multiple threads in a weekend and folks got very uncomfortable with what to do.

Hope that seems like a good way to bring your idea to life but keep Mod concerns to a minimum.

Ken
Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

"The Unfortunate Incident At The Cream Puff Stand"
sounds like an X-File...

There seems to be a consensus of positive experiences around the new found freedoms and productivity of waking up sober on the weekends. And all days for that matter.

I made potatoes LBrain and some ecks for breakfast, Pork chops cooked for lunch - no pic today. House is all secured with the AC going. My glass container filled with water and tea bags is on the rail outside.
I'm going to "finish" the last details on the porchgola, hopefully before it hits 95F. Then tidy up miscellaneous piles of dirt and debris around the yard. Still a couple more places to 'do' around the outside. But I'm just going to rake dirt and contour the 'land', cover with weed cloth and scavenge mulch from various places and call it done - for now.

OH - and paint the timbers and refinish the deck, that too

I seem to recall the last time I was trout fishing was too long ago. Cool evenings and the afternoon hatch are calling me...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
In between my writing I am trying to fold an origami eagle to calm the anxiety and distract thoughts from banks.

My, it requires patience) I am still struggling with my first one.

Venecia - Hope your mom will be discharged and everything is fine.