Notices

Consider the vision your name creates

Old 06-14-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Consider the vision your name creates

I wanted to share something for thought...

It relates to many names I see here on the board. Because of how we walk in the door, we often find ourselves identifying with the broken, beaten down, shameful, regretful, shell-of-a-person state we've descended to.

And so, we discover SR on the Internet and one day - often after a binge or a DUI arrest or a terrible fight with a significant other - we sign up in desperation.

And that desperation is reflected in the identity we choose. Some of our names reflect the downtrodden, dispirited remnants of the inner US that brought us here in the first place.

That's probably just a normal consequence of our journey. But it also does something subtle; it creates an identity in our own minds.

My own name comes from a spirit name I was shown when I embarked on a vision quest in Death Valley some years ago. I came back from that quest experience believing that I'd been shown the name "Climbing Shadow" - for I'd seen a shadow of myself on a hike one day and associated that with the rising up of my shadowy self from the grief I carried.....

But my experienced wilderness quest guide, my spirit 'father' in this effort (who had guided many hundreds in this process) had a different take. When he heard my story, and the visit I'd had from an owl one night... the owl feather I'd found the next day.... the identity that owl had brought.... the prevalence of owl in my life beyond the quest..... he identified me as Free Owl..... for the symbolism of my spirit animal, my quest, my purpose and my inner self and soul.

I realized he was absolutely right.... I felt it.

And so when I came here to SR - though broken and beaten and despairing - I took that hopeful name. I registered as Free Owl for the vision of the person within me that I came here to honor.

I identified as Free Owl because THAT is the person my choice of sobriety supports. I came here to leave behind my broken self, my beaten self, my hopelessness and my sorrow. I came here to LIVE. To commit to a deep and rich and meaningful life and the person who will live that life is Me.... it's Free Owl.

I bring this up only as food for thought. I don't mean to say that anyone is wrong in their choice of identity here. I don't mean to disparage, nor to suggest that your name will hinder you from success. Only to share my own experience and the power that my identity has had for me.

It's one of those small things that - for some of us - may have big implications.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally agree- good reminder.

My first name on here was Grace Cathederal which held symbolic value to my quest.

I changed it several months later when I decided to train for an ultramarathon since it was symbolic of the person I'd decided to become.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love this- I have thought about this, too.

I originally joined last Aug, hence the user name. I also picked it because my birthday is in August and it is pretty much my favorite time of the year. BUT...I didn't stop drinking then. When I came back on SR, I thought about changing it to my actual sobriety date (Feb 22 not Aug 25) but didn't get a response when I emailed monitors about how to do it. So, I just carried on and got involved and put that aside in my mind so as not to keep feeling like it was a neg reminder that I didn't quit sooner.

THEN....about a week ago it hit me! I have been describing my story - to myself and others, from drs to my sponsor- a certain way about why I quit when: I was completely exhausted, just direly ill, and it had been about six months that I had been on my insane trek towards the end, whatever that was going to be, whether (probably) death or quitting. And that six months was...August to Feb, almost to the day!!

So now, I think of my user name as a reminder that my (healthy, wanting-to-live) brain was working the whole time to get me to the point I was ready - HAD - to quit. And that makes me smile.

I definitely agree that our username is a kind of self talk and it needs to be good talk!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My name

I chose my "handle" because it is what I want to become. I try to envision myself as a Strong Healthy Woman every day when I look in the mirror swollen up with bloodshot eyes. I want to be able to spring out of bed feeling ready to take on the day and not groggy and depressed.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh dear. Frickaflip. Well as I was looking around the living room for inspiration everything like couch, lamp, loveseat, mt fuji (long story), coffee table, were taken....seriously. So I just typed gibberish. I feel really shallow now
Old 06-14-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I chose my name because it reminds me to never, ever, give up hope. My photo...NO Quacking, just reminds me not to tolerate any of that LOL!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My name here oldsoul 1122 is something I've used since the 80's when I was in my 30's and had numerology done. Now 67 I'm an old, old soul lol. The avatar of the woman by the fire is the Goddess Hestia....keeper of the hearth. (online God/Goddess quiz) I definitely relate to both of these.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

my second go round with sobriety. not planning for a 3rdhandrose

the avatar, I am an island girl at heart!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If anyone wants to change his or her username, just send a Personal Message to "Anna" or one of the other administrators.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mines from a previous life I never want to revisit. I was so hungover the morning I joined, that it's all I could come up with.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made up FireSprite for myself when I joined this site because I wanted something that was about me, not RAH & that reflected my inner self somewhat. This was where I was at in life but not necessarily who I was ~ so I wanted to create an identity for me as an individual, not who I am in relation to addiction.

I am a red-haired Sagittarian & carry an unusually high number of Fire Signs in my Birth Chart so it's the element that I identify with most easily on a core/basic level. (Coupled with my Sicilian/German/Irish lineage & whoa boy, no wonder I have a strong personality, eh??) Fire also burns things to the ground & forces new beginnings & that's what I needed in my early recovery - to figuratively burn everything to the foundation & start over.

Sprites are another mythical form of fairies, impish & magical... which reminds me to be a kid again sometimes & let my Inner Child out to play.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mine is a song title from the band Little Feat called "Easy To Slip".

The 3 words help remind me of staying sober,
Although in the song's context, I do not think it has anything to do with drinking.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Firstymer. Because when I joined SR, 3 years ago, it was my first serious effort to get sober. First and last, I hope.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

A very good point. Given the chance to name oneself, one should be cautious.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I chose my name because at the time I really liked (and still do) the song "Hey There Delilah," I know that she was the temptress in the Bible story, but to me it reminds me of my connection to NYC, and creates a happy memory in my head.

Although Delilah (aka me) has had her ups and downs with sobriety I always try to remain positive, and this name has a positive connotation in my head. I am very happy to have 5 and a half months sobriety right now, and look forward to celebrating a year on January 1, 2017, and then many years after.

Hope everyone is doing well. This NY girl is looking forward to going home today to visit family for a few weeks. Although I have lived in California since 1999, my heart and true home will always be NY!!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 06-14-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My vision having had a spiritual awakening and trying to continue to grow in it, is to be centered in mind/body/spirit. That lead to Centered3 becoming my name.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I was not gettingsmarter.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I chose my mine because I have to remind myself no matter what I am a princess!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As broken as I was when I joined, I still reached into the memory for something positive. Irnldy was my nickname back when husband and I used to compete in marathons and triathlons. I was part of a group called the Irongrlllls
Old 06-14-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great thread Freeowl 👍

Nova is a Latin name that means 'new'...before signing up I researched a username that described the new healthier life I wanted (physically and emotionally)...which I am now achieving 🌠