Notices

Consider the vision your name creates

Old 06-15-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
If I would have named myself when I first sobered up it would have been Puddle-O- Sewage. Thank God I was a few years sober when I discovered SR or I would have been stuck with it forever. Sort of like a tatto once you have it it is there for eternity
OMG this made me crack up!!! Good thing you didn't pick that and are in a better place.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

When I first joined SR I wanted something that related to the altered state of mind caused by booze. Bliss within sounded nice, but as english is not my first language I suspect it is kinda of a cheesy name, lol but I like it.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I did considered sofa king.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What an interesting thread - hopefully it will be read by some people thinking of joining SR as well as us folks already members

My name is from Jaques Saoutchik a between the wars coach builder in France - but he wasn't French, he was originally from Bessarabia (roughly the Ukraine today) and in the early years of the 20th century he essentially walked from there to Paris so I admired his coach building skills but also his amazing determination to change his circumstances. All I have to do to change mine is not pick up

Although Saoutchik is tricky to spell Sao is really easy. One slight drawback which I never thought about at the time is that the "chik" at the end of Saoutchik means that people occasionally mistake me for a woman
Old 06-15-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
When I first joined SR I wanted something that related to the altered state of mind caused by booze. Bliss within sounded nice, but as english is not my first language I suspect it is kinda of a cheesy name, lol but I like it.
I feel like bliss within is what I am getting from recovery, I don't think it is cheesy at all!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Great post, Free Owl! I often reflect on the names chosen by the members of SR. Some reflect hope for the future while others show how beaten down one can get by addiction. Both types of names are a snapshot of how the user is feeling at that point in life.

Mine can be viewed both ways, kind of like Camus originally described in the book. It can mean the futility of the repeating loop or the defiant decision to embrace the struggle, and even to love it.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Apropos of nothing what really confuses me is when people change Avatar pics! I get that people get bored and like variety that's the main way I keep people straight in my mind, even more than the names.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Myth, change can be good.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

patchadams is a nickname for me and my wife(william and robbyn... robin williams) that my brother gave us when we first got together. Its a reminder that Im not only doing this for my health, but also so I can be the best husband and father to my wife and son, who was named after the brother that nicknamed my wife and I
Old 06-16-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Gee, I play the piano! Sofa King original...
Old 06-16-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

The Rolling Stones song Ruby Tuesday was playing in my head. So I became Ruby2 (Tue).

It's good to read the thoughts behind the names.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
quat

don't
want
to
be
drunk
That is how mine came to be. When I first signed on , it is what I was 'telling' myself, and coming to realize I had to tell myself that, confused and questioning why I had to tell myself , how could I be in such a situation , battling to keep myself from causing destruction to myself and those around me, it was a godawful place to be and those here reading know this first hand.
Typing it in every time I signed on helped to reinforce the idea(I'm a hunter pecker still on the keyboard and it doesn't exactly 'roll off' the fingers), the addiction wanted (me) to want to be drunk and it was a hard fought battle to break free of that hold, finding SR wasn't the first time I wanted to not want, but it lead to me actually finding the idea that I could in fact stop the 'wanting', but it had to start with me and making a No Matter What decision.
SR showed me that I wasn't alone, there were other decision makers 'out' there, doing it and encouraging others to find it within themselves to take the needed leap of faith and believe that they too could do it, "It" is possible , the only thing saying it isn't is the addiction fighting for its life( a miserable and pathetic existence of destruction), don't let it, YOU don't deserve it, YOU deserve to be free of it and you Can be , believe it, it's true.
So my screenname will always look the same, only now I'm not 'telling' myself to, I'm just 'sayin' , and that is soo much better and so possible, reach for it , grab it and never let go , You deserve it !
Old 06-16-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I wanted to use my name and the time I joined SR. One of the best things I ever did in life... without the support of this group I would have never made it this far. Onwards and upwards!

I'm proud to be a Mayfly 2016!

I will not drink today!
Old 06-16-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Great post FreeOwl. I've seen a few people on here change their names also, to reflect a shift in perspective after some sober time, I suppose.

In my own case, nothing too mysterious. I practice Zazen (meditation), and I am a competitive weightlifter, hence "ZenLifter". But I guess it probably means more now than what I originally thought 🤔
Old 06-16-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I'm not very creative,
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I had been sober for about 14 months when I joined SR, and I was a former wine drinker. I admit that calling myself "Girl" is a bit of a stretch, but "FormerWineGirl" was shorter than "FormerWineGrandma" 😉
Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Great thread. I'm really enjoying everyone's story of how they got their username.
When I first came to SR, my username was Junegirl because I had quit in June. Then I decided to go back out for about another two years and came back in July so since I was no longer a June quit, I chose a new username. This time I figured I'd choose something I loved that was not related to my recovery. So I chose Delfin because I've always loved dolphins. They're smart and seem so joyous. I wanted a username that would make me feel something positive. I chose the word in Spanish because I speak Spanish and I like how it sounds.

Delfin
Old 06-17-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

I've had this moniker for quite some time now... I was always a bit of a goofball, and earned the nickname "the clown" early in high school. And just to annoy friends, I adopted the spelling you now see.

At three years sober, I'm still known as the clown in that circle of friends... it fits more so now. It's just my goofy personality showing through, rather than a crutch to please.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I was definitely 'in the moment' when I picked my name. I found my thinking and behavior totally illogical, and I didn't understand it.

Participating here helped me make sense of it.

Now the name serves as a reminder.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I chose mine as when I first came here I was detoxing, I was drinking blueberry antioxidant drinks during the process. Whilst detox was rough, it felt good to put some goodness back into my body, I saw it as healing.... Hence my user name!