# 81 (permalink)  

Goodbye
Old 01-26-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Please delete my membership.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Great post FreeOwl and it has been so nice to read the stories behind everyone's name.

Scruffanie is the name of my 'housemate'....a Rainbow Lorikeet (she is also my avatar pic). I adore her and often refer to her as Small Angel. I also have children who are my teenage Angels but Scruff was the name I chose.

If it wasn't for Scruff, who is soley dependant on me to provide for her, I may never have gotten out of bed each morning. Because she got me out of bed each day I still went to work. Because she needed my company each night, she kept me from becoming totally focussed on myself.

Because of SR and AA, I am able to care for Scruff, my children, my life and myself.

Of course, at the time of choosing my name for this site I didn't think of these things. But Scruff has been my small angel and because of this post by FreeOwl, I have had these realisation.

Thank you.

Scruff
Old 01-26-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Mine user name is from when I joined SR I was living with my then boyfriend who was mad about video games. The Legand of Zelda was my favourite. I didn't like a lot of them.
Tetra also known as Dazel, is a recurring character in the Legend of Zelda series. Tetra is a tan, blond pirate girl and successor to her mother's gang of pirates. A fearless and even merciless pirate, she seems, at first glance, cold and to care only about herself and treasure, but in reality is quite kind and caring for others. Despite being younger than her crew members, Tetra is still well-respected among them. She is often recognized by her signature pose, crossing her arms and winking.

I have also often been told that I am kind and caring
Old 01-26-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Kevlar is a synthetic fibre, 5 times stronger than steel, själ is the Swedish word for soul and kevlarsjäl is also the name of one of my favourite songs by my favourite band.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Been crying buckets since posting regarding my dog (user name). Thought long and hard before dong so, the emotional wounds are still raw. Just noticed that Least, the person I followed avidly when her dog went missing, only 'liked' winslows dog name post. I'm not sensitive, but really, it's a joke, so cliquey, I'm out of here, the hierarchy are so cruel. Thanks for nothing Least.
I'm sure least meant no harm Tatsy. she has an enormous heart for animals as well as human beings

She's 'good people' - as are you.
You're both a part of the SR family.

Different devices - phones tablets whatever - can make it very hard to 'thank' a post.

I'm using a PC and even then not all of my thanks 'take'. I often find I have to go back and thank again.

I hope you'll reconsider your leaving.

D
Old 01-26-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

mark in new york

....for those of you who are still drinking
Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets keep this a positive thread please, guys.

D
SR
Old 01-26-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee was my nickname when I joined SR.

Curiously, 10 years on, most people use my christian name now....

I'm waiting for the next level, to be addressed as Mr________ now, in deference to my great age

D
Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Easy Tatsy, I'm sure no disrespect was meant. Sorry about your pup, I've lost one also that was better than most people. Just a couple months ago, after more than 5 years, I have finally adopted another. I don't mourn people that long.

Any how I went with theDipsomaniac, it just seemed to fit,

Dipsomania is a historical term describing a medical condition involving an uncontrollable craving for alcohol.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tatsy, please don't bite my head off. The reason I hadn't thanked your post is cause I didn't read it til just now. I hadn't read that page of the thread. I meant no harm.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

I just stumbled on this thread and will definitely go back and read all posts. Should be some good reading

Like all usernames, I needed one I could remember! But I also wanted one to reflect why I started my sobriety journey. Bandicoot was my first dog, a puppy really and we only had her for a few weeks. My father was an alcoholic and after a few weeks he probably tired of her antics plus the responsibility & cost of feeding her. I came home one day after school, so happy to know she was waiting for me to take her for a walk and she was simply gone. No explanation other than we couldn't keep her and she was taken to a nice 'farm' outside of town. I was devastated and heart-broken.
So Bandicoot reminds me that I have a choice each day to do the right and decent thing and to do my absolute best to not hurt myself or others with my actions. Sobriety & continued learning in recovery gives me the best chance to do that.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I chose my name because Whiskey was when things got really bad. I would get right Bent.....hence whiskeybent.... and if anyone is a fan of Hank Williams jr. you know the rest of the song.....Hell Bound. Which if I kept drinking whiskey I was Hell Bound.

Im not Bent anymore, the name is a nice reminder of where I dont want to be.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Drinking makes every day seem like Groundhog Day. Just like for the lead character in the movie, it has been a long, slow journey to self improvement for me. But after more than 2 years sober, I have made progress.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

i was so ashamed at what I had become my username is totally made up. It means nothing. I thought I was the only one on earth that was so screwed up. So it was just a way to hide. Through SR I found out I wasnt alone. I don't need to hide anymore.😃I'm sober and my real name is dave
Old 01-26-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
i was so ashamed at what I had become my username is totally made up. It means nothing. I thought I was the only one on earth that was so screwed up. So it was just a way to hide. Through SR I found out I wasnt alone. I don't need to hide anymore.😃I'm sober and my real name is dave
Dave. Glad you're part of the family.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I've only just stumbled on this thread too, fantastic stuff FreeOwl. We're a very interesting crowd, which I've always thought - and people's descriptions of their choice of U/N show just how diverse, well-read, well-rounded, experienced we are.

Jeni, darling English bluebell - I for one don't give a fig if you couldn't come up with something exotic. I still think of you as Bluebell, from you avatar xx

Tatsy - oh oh, I nearly had a heart attack when you said you want to leave. Truly. You're an amazing person, and I for one followed your entire recent thread over in Sec Connections - whilst desperate to reconsider RR / AVRT, which I hadn't revisited for a while. (I'm still stuck in a relapse, and threads like yours there help me to regain some perspective, but that's digressing from this thread).

Regarding the 'thanks' episode - which Least has already explained was an oversight: there was recently - somewhere - some discussion about how we often feel / ascribe meaning to the often-erratic appearance of 'thanks' to our posts or entire threads even.

I think most of us have realised that this just happens, particularly in fast-running threads - and if I recall correctly, that was the case in the long running frantic saga of Least trying to find her beloved dog (as beloved as yours - and I so get that, having dogs die / or lost etc; many of us here are doggy lovers and also know). Most of us are in different time zones / not always on SR and so on....too many variables.

Please stay, Tatsy. x Vic

PS nearly forgot to address the topic: I chose bemyself as a fervent reminder to my self that being 'allowed' (by others IRL ) and accepted just as I am, especially in my later years of life, is something I have to stand up for. Be a bit defiant about, even. Tired of a lifetime of not-being-heard / accepted / etc etc - and I stress, on SR at least, I am mostly heard and accepted.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I picked my name because that's what a very close friend of mine called me. He'd say, "You don't need booze, you're soberlicious." He died a few years ago after returning to his addiction

I don't have an avatar because I originally used a purple eye from SR (for years I had that purple eye lol) but it's gone now and I've just been too lazy to replace it.

FreeOwl, when you said "consider the vision your name creates" lol I can only image what mine conjures up. Obviously I'm confident (evidence more by my posts than my username) but "soberlicious" is tongue-in-cheek...I don't think I'm 2snaps or anything.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

A big 'whoops' from me, Tatsy - of course you're referring to THIS thread, not least's lost dog one. My apologies. But the general point about this 'thanks' business still stands, and I still don't want you to leave.
xx
Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Random name choice for myself – initially I just wanted something anonymous.

I thought of Ina and then once I added 123 I started thinking about how a drummer begins a set counting down “In a 1,2,3” while banging the drumsticks. Now I kind of sing it out loud when I’m logging in like I’m a rock star! Hilarious also because I’ve never played the drums in my whole life and I’m not musically inclined AT ALL!!!!! Honestly, nobody can butcher Dusty Springfield’s “Son of a preacher man” at karaoke like I have!!