Notices

Consider the vision your name creates

Old 06-19-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I was 5 weeks sober when I found this site and chose the name. It hit me in a split second how much danger I was in with my drinking and my brain screamed RUN at me in that moment. I put silent in front of it because I figured I was in for a lifelong silent run. Spoiler alert: you don't feel like you are running after awhile. It's more like coasting or floating.

After about a year I remembered the song Silent Running(on dangerous ground) by Mike and the Mechanics. The meaning of my username changed for me then. There are a few lines in there that would prove to be sort of prophetic later on in my recovery:

Don't believe the Church and State and everything they tell you...

I grew up in a cult and was told horrible things about myself and the world around me. The tape that I was nothing but a worthless slave played over and over in my mind. Even worse I had left so now I am an evil worthless slave that by my very existence is an affront to God. I was told to keep quiet and put on a happy face to outsiders because worldly people didn't understand love.

...believe in me I'm with the high command

Somewhere inside us all is a being that knows better. We are much more than we give ourselves credit for.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
The Rolling Stones song Ruby Tuesday was playing in my head. So I became Ruby2 (Tue).

It's good to read the thoughts behind the names.
The Earth, Wind & Fire song "That's the Way of the World" was playing in mine.

Very interesting thread.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Oh dear....I chose Jeni because my name is Jenny...

Hangs head in inferiority and shame for being so unimaginative...
Old 06-19-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Cool thread dde03 my name is Kim, but I put swim in there bc I grew up swimming and that was part of my non-drinking identity. It was also one of the things I felt like I had lost and really wanted back when I came to SR. And when I came to SR two years ago I was not ready to quit; I couldn't imagine a life without alcohol bc it was my reward. But at the same time it was robbing me of all the things I loved in life, like swimming (to name one). Happy to say I'm almost seven months sober with the help of SR and AA. Every day spent sober is my reward now dde03
Old 06-19-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

My name is self explanitary. I drink so much water now i dont have room for anything else lol xx
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
images-4-320x320.jpeg (24.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-19-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I love this thread FreeOwl! So interesting reading how everyone came up with their names.

LadyBlue because it's the color of my car and I thought about making my license plate LdyBlue.

Love the blues.

My favorite color is (can you guess) BLUE!

0527 comes from my original date of sobriety 05/27/13 when I first came here. I thought of messaging Anna to change it to 0509 to reflect my new day. But, I think it's very important for me to be mindful of the 17 months I had and walked away from. Not in a negative way but in a very positive way. I'll never take this feeling for granted again.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

My username is linked into my love of history. Brown Bess was the name of a musket used by the British forces during the napoleonic wars (yeah, I am that fascinating lol)
Old 01-26-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I enjoyed reading everybody's ideas for name choice.

I chose Carpathia for the Carpathian mountain range where I believe my grandmother's ancestors hail from. (Not really Russian, not really Austrian, not really Slovakian)

After reading the Big Book, the name took on a delightfully different slant. The Carpathia was the ship dispatched to rescue survivors of the ill-fated Titanic.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Daisy is my dog's name - all I could think of at the time.
I love all the meanings behind your names, I'm going to think of one for me!
Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I was sitting in the garden one evening late last summer with as usual, a glass of poison, watching the bees dancing over the flowers. I thought how lovely it would be to be sitting there the next summer with a glass of something non alcoholic when the bees returned. Thats it.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I was definitely still married to Jack Daniels when I found SR. We're divorced now thankfully.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

My user name was chosen to be a constant reminder.

"I don't mean to say that anyone is wrong in their choice of identity here. I don't mean to disparage, nor to suggest that your name will hinder you from success."

Whatever works for you is ok by me.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Mine is "heartcore" because my approach to drugs was always hardcore, and I knew my approach to sobriety would have to be also.

I liked it that when you said the name aloud, it sounded both like hardcore and heartcore.

I was also thinking about the glowing, gorgeous center of my heart (and all our hearts) - the part that keeps glowing with hope and love, even if other parts of the heart are damaged by hurt, by life.

Now, I feel like my heart's core has grown larger, and the energy of its glow has healed and enlivened some of the parts of my heart which had grown dark.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Mine is the name of my dearly beloved, departed years ago, dog. I chose it because I wished to emulate her: loving, courageous, content, living in the moment - no dwelling in the past nor worrying about the future, no need for alcohol, just food and water, as we were designed. She was such an unconditionally happy spirit.

She lies under the shadow of an ancient oak tree. I hope to bring another dog like her into my life one day. Hers is a challenging breed to train, but now that I don't drink, it's a possibility.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Enfin means finally in French. .. so Finally, the change. ...as in I have finally arrived at the point of change,
not the blinkin menopause!!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Another one guilty of hiding behind the dogs name haha
Old 01-26-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
G-Woman

There's not too much behind mine. It was a username I used on another message board, and references my short stature and fondness for softball.

It was more about being easy to remember. :P
Old 01-26-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Mine is, well -my name ;-) And I'm from Wisconsin. So not much behind it other than that really...
Old 01-26-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Mine is, well -my name ;-) And I'm from Wisconsin. So not much behind it other than that really...
Yup, I just used my name as well. 66 is year of birth.

I'm now feeling completely unimaginative!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Been crying buckets since posting regarding my dog (user name). Thought long and hard before dong so, the emotional wounds are still raw. Just noticed that Least, the person I followed avidly when her dog went missing, only 'liked' winslows dog name post. I'm not sensitive, but really, it's a joke, so cliquey, I'm out of here, the hierarchy are so cruel. Thanks for nothing Least.