Stay Sober Here - All Welcome ... Weekender June 5

Old 06-07-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Amazing photo, BigS!!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
You are so sweet! I feel like a fuddy duddy a lot of the time.
I feel like a Fuddy duddy too! Not sure when thst started, I used to feel like a cool person. Well...I am getting old....although I feel young. Oh geeze!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Ahem...there ARE NO fuddy duddys in weekenders! We all majorly rock!
Yay Brynn!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone,

Wow, Big S, another exceptional photo. You really have a talent!

Brynn, hope you feel chipper soon!

Melina, I wouldn't read too much into the interviewer asking some things of you that she didn't the previous candidate, and vice versa. The only thing that struck me as a little odd was that there was a difference at all. I've been in on interviews at my current employer and previous ones and there's a pretty strict edict from HR that candidates are treated equally during the interview process in terms of amount of time and sticking to a script with questions.

Well, speaking of former employers, mind laid off a couple of ex-colleagues, both people I liked a great deal. There was a farewell shindig at a watering hole; it was really fun to see people I'd worked with before leaving for my current job. Some catching up and gossip, bit o' political talk, comparing books.

I got thrown off a bit, not so much by being in a bar and around others who can enjoy a couple drinks -- which is as foreign to me as Olympic ski-jumping. Rather, it was the feeling I got when I left after a couple hours and couple Diet Cokes. I was very much in the closet, someone who could either have a couple in such social settings or even stick to NA drinks. The thing was I either 1) left in time to stop at a booze shop or 2) already had *enough* at home.

It struck me as I was driving home that I left at the same time I always used to when a pitstop at a store was "necessary."

I don't know why but it has me a little off-kilter, perhaps because I had to drive by one of the (many) stores I'd occasionally stop at. I guess there are so many embedded memories. I feel "off" but I'll be OK. The odd timing is odd, though, as I have to do the same type of thing all over again tomorrow, as a colleague from my current job is leaving and it's his watering hole farewell.

Man, the crummy things we used to do to ourselves, huh?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

I may or may not be a fuddy duddy but I am in bed at 7:30pm and couldn't be happier. And...I took a nice nap on my lunch break. Oh well.
and it's about 92° outside but my air conditioning is working just fine. Hey, life is very good.
melina. ...I hope you get the job you really want. It sounds like you really know your stuff and I bet you do really well in your interviews.
BigS. ..that photo is beautiful.
Ok...I feel like I'm hijacking the thread....I'll go read a little.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I feel like a Fuddy duddy too! Not sure when thst started, I used to feel like a cool person. Well...I am getting old....although I feel young. Oh geeze!
I feel like that, too!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

I always thought a fuddy duddy was like a thingy ma gig. Lol.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Venecia. ..I know what you are saying. I have felt the same way...off kilter....embedded memories. It's kind of a lonely feeling. I was closeted also.....in public i would be professional and in control...then i loved to go home alone to my best friend, the wine bottle. But, then I think it through and the empty, lonely feeling turns to gratitude and joy to be free from that. I am very grateful. And I have no hangovers!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

put a solid hour on th mando, maybe I'llstart learning stairway to heaven... haha... I have a long way to go

Ven, good job on the get together, and I was in the same mind set... either make sure I am already ahead of the game before I go, then leave early so I could drink like a normal alcoholic does... actually, both...

good night all, oh, mr bunny rabbit decided to undo the repairs I made to the hole she dug -- mrs bunny rabbit actually... I gave it a dose of ammonia... see what happens... need a yard cat or dog... plastic owls cost 20 bucks -- maybe I'll carve one...
Old 06-07-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

My dog does nothing to deter the bunnies who live in my yard. He barks at them, they run away, and come back 5 minutes later.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Is it true that human hair deters rabbits?

((Ven))

Haf, being free is priceless!

I'm watching Gilmore Girls and saw a commercial for eyelid lift strips?? Can't remember what they're called but I'd never heard of these things. Confirms my suspicion that people will buy anything.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Good night everyone
sweet dreams -
Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys, for being here. Just having a place to share helps so much, as does the support we give one another.

I'm so grateful to be sober. Today is Prince's birthday -- also Prince Day here in Minnesota. "Purple Rain" is on and I'm watching it for the third time since he died. He does one song, "Computer Blue,"* shirtless; while always on the small side, stature-wise, he is so *buffed* and healthy. He weighed only 112 pounds when he died. Damn all addictions.

Sobriety offers us all so much for which to be truly grateful.

* Way *cool* song, btw, if somewhat risque, at least by standards of the ol' days. I'd share it here, but I think doing so would skirt the edges of rules that guide our community. Y'all know how to search youtube if you want.

This is what is on as I type. Nice to remember him this way. What a smile.

#RockInPeace

Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Venecia! I used to do the same stuff. I'd have one or none but then stop on the way home. Keeping that"normal" face on. So exhausting and sad.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. There's hope for me because I'm going to my reunion this weekend. In Wisconsin. Where I started my drinking career. I'm bringing the kids with me for a reason.

It is absolutely freezing outside now. But the weekend weather is supposed to be baking hot. Ah well.

I'm heading for bed. Rest up Brynn. Marty enjoy Nugget.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

couldn't sleep -- just put my 'working' clothes in the wash... it's best I do it myself or she'll mix it with 'clean' laundry -- haha... it needs to be washed separately... super wash/double rinse - hang on the line tonight ... maybe...

I seem to be preoccupied with the project I'm working on. I'm sitting on the couch doing calculations in my head... and plans... I do really want to complete this... after ten years... when we return from our little trip, I don't want to be working on the house - outside, I still have a bathroom to remodel I bought the tiles for 3 years ago... yeah, it's time I start finishing things... budget has been holding me back... but it needs to be done...
Old 06-07-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

We never seem to get it completed Lb, mine is finished but I keep finding odds and ends to fix/do . I can be sitting relaxed and suddenly an idea flashes through my mind " I think i'll do that " for example painted a big old clay pot I reclaimed from the disposal yard and now it looks like new , of course I had to buy extra plants and compost to fill it up , was well worth the effort though .
Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

ha Thomas, I have that discussion all the time. The only way to get out of doing these things is move into a condo... house and property are a lifetime of endless work... but once I do finish this, it will just be upkeep... and WEEDS

Last year I rescued small pieces of deck boards from the disposal site. They are going to be put to use in the 'next' project. Which is basically an extension of what I'm doing now.
Nope, not afraid to trash pick here, within reason of course.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, I have just donned my tracksuit. The Red Express is about to hit the towpath

Ven - sorry you are feeling "off" but you are in a much better place now. By the way with a name like Boris he is probably pro leave

Melina - it sounds promising, good luck

Brynn - sorry about your relative moving away, at least you will enjoy the times you do get together. I hope you feel better soon too

Great pic again BigSomb, you have a photographers eye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20160608_055317.jpg (42.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:28 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

the red flash is ready...
I just hung clothes on the line - at 0115! Gonna try to get some sleep...
I just realized I took a two hour nap today (yesterday)... hmmm
Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Venny, you did a great job of coming here and airing that out. Not like you were going to drink. It just seems so much more peaceful mentally when you vent these things.

I can totally relate to having to leave at certain times and knowing if I had to stop or if I had enough at home. It really is awful, that relentless schedule we were on. Thank you for the reminder.

A friend drove me home from the late meeting we went to and we chatted about sober living and such for a while. I can honestly say that drinking is not an option for me. I just can't deal with and have no desire to deal with anything involved with me drinking alcohol. I don't want to be cocky, so I will remain vigilant. But for now, no thanks on an alcoholic drink. I'd rather lick the bottom of my shoe

I got a laugh out of picturing The Red Flash, Sao! Go get em!

Brainy, I think it's awesome you're doing your projects. Go you!

Jen Jen come in Jen Bodhi, at least check in once a day or twelve thousand times, preferably. I want you to have fun but I want to know you're safe, too! Xoxo