Notices

I am utterly defeated

Old 06-12-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Horrible stuff. Listening to the president now....50 people. That is just amazing. What a sick bastard. And its so sad because this will send Islamaphobia even higher. This has nothing to do with Islam. Everything to do with individual psychotics acting on Isis propoganda. Ugh. I feel so badly for Muslims right now. Most are just good people trying to live their lives....like everyone else. Because of the horrible actions of a few, they are going to suffer the consequences. Already are.

Sick and so so sad.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

So sad.

We had a shooting five years ago, where 77 people (mostly kids) were shot. Everyone thought this was an act of terrorism and done by muslims, but it was a pure bred Norwegian who had done it. Crazy.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi Fabela
I typed out a response to you last night but my system locked up and poof! Gone.

I remember those attacks in Norway. Crazy!

I don't understand America's culture of violence. I guess its ingrained and part of our deep mistrust of our government. Other countries, like Canada, have a fare amount of guns (rifles for hunting) but they aren't blowing each other away like we do. The mass shootings get lots of press, as they should. But we're killing each other at alarming rates everyday. I think there were 13,000 gun related deaths last year alone (that included suicides and accidental deaths) in the US. Insanity. And I'm sure gun sales went up yesterday as a result of the shootings. We're armed and dangerous here, with every ***** citizen thinking they are responsible enough, and even able, to safely own fire arms. We are just a violent people overall. Very weird. Very sad. I have no idea what the solution is as the right to bear arms is one of our most valued 'freedoms'. And I don't disagree with it. But handguns? Why pistols? They are easily hidden...not a good thing.

Oh well, I can't solve the problem. Pretty much everyone I know owns a gun. And I know a few people that own automatic weapons, AR15's. Who needs those?

I hope you're doing well. You sound much better btw.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Day 41

I am definitely noticing my brain fog is clearing more. I think I don't have brain fog, but realize I do when it starts to improve. I know the improvements will continue for a while.

I'm getting the sugar out of my diet completely, except for fruit. I didn't eat a lot of it but it really effects my mood badly. I'm more level now. I'll loose the fruit when summer is over but its just too yummy right now I love watermelon! I know that sugar is a go to for alchies when quitting but if your mood is all over the place, examine your diet. Nough said.

Gonna run this morning. Probably walk the dogs after I pick up my daughter...who I'm sure is snoozing away right now. Its going to be hot today but then it cools right down again so no big deal. Oddly I do find that getting a good sweat on everyday, either through yoga (HUGE sweat) or running does help me tolerate the heat better overall. And the longer I'm sober the more my body temp regulates. Booze absolutely makes me run hot....hate that.

If you're new (and actually reading this ) please stay the course. Yes its hard. Yes your moods will be all over the place. Yes there's an empty feeling at times, sometimes very empty. Yes there's all kinds of physiological crap going on. Yes it can seem boring, lonely. It took me years to get into the whole I've dug....a very deep hole. It takes patience and perseverance to climb out. For me I'm expecting years...I'm ok with that. I've buckled in am ready to do whatever it takes. I know I need to take more action now. Honestly I'm having trouble with that. It's like I'm on the edge of a bridge, with a bungee chord attached, just jump. Poised and ready but scared.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi Fabela
I typed out a response to you last night but my system locked up and poof! Gone.

I remember those attacks in Norway. Crazy!

I don't understand America's culture of violence. I guess its ingrained and part of our deep mistrust of our government. Other countries, like Canada, have a fare amount of guns (rifles for hunting) but they aren't blowing each other away like we do. The mass shootings get lots of press, as they should. But we're killing each other at alarming rates everyday. I think there were 13,000 gun related deaths last year alone (that included suicides and accidental deaths) in the US. Insanity. And I'm sure gun sales went up yesterday as a result of the shootings. We're armed and dangerous here, with every ***** citizen thinking they are responsible enough, and even able, to safely own fire arms. We are just a violent people overall. Very weird. Very sad. I have no idea what the solution is as the right to bear arms is one of our most valued 'freedoms'. And I don't disagree with it. But handguns? Why pistols? They are easily hidden...not a good thing.

Oh well, I can't solve the problem. Pretty much everyone I know owns a gun. And I know a few people that own automatic weapons, AR15's. Who needs those?

I hope you're doing well. You sound much better btw.
THe sad part is that the bad guys will always find a way to have guns/assault rifles. So if we disarm law abiding citizens, well then the rest of us are sitting ducks. I don't know that there is a good solution. Such a sensitive topic.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Completely relate to the alcohol vs. heat issue. I was completely heat intolerant while actively drinking. Body seems to tolerate heat much better now. Another benefit of clean living.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Yeah I don't have an answer either. Better licensing and tracking but how is that enforced? Guns aren't cars....so its pretty much impossible to enforce the law.

I think its a cultural issue. And I think its a mental health issue in the case of these mass shootings. No answers here. Only questions. I don't believe in taking away our rights.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Day 42. No drama to post. No self pity. All is well. Yoga in a couple hours. Cool and cloudy today....just the way I like it! Gonna go shopping for a bathing suit with the kid today. Shopping with a teenager sucks...its just an exercise in saying NO for two hours. Haha. Patience, patience.

Have a great day SR.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

HaHA! I found my NO pen. Its a goofy pen I bought in Reno that has about 15 recordings of people screaming NO. I'm going to bring it shopping and when the daughter whines for something other than a bathing suit I'm going to whip it out! NO! That'll embarrass the hell outta her.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

A "NO" pen? Brilliant. You're funny frick, you and the kiddo. Love to be a fly on the wall.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Haha! We are pretty funny...or at least we think so My daughter has a hilarious sense of humor. Snarky too which I love. She's very, very smart so there is never a dull moment. We relate really well together....I'm really lucky. So is she! My Mom is a complete unknown to me. Other than obligatory love, we have no connection. But I know now that my Mom simply can't connect. She doesn't know how. I never have done anything with my Mom...nothing. I do everything with my kid. Guess I'm making up for what I didn't have in childhood. No self pity there, just reality.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Day 43. Same old same old.

Yoga, housework/yardwork, dog walk...yadda yadda.

Just as I was readying to return to volunteer work, the two organizations I worked with last year sent me emails! Well that was easy. I'll get my daughter to help me too. Maybe...that might be challenging. She actually has a lot to do for Girl Scouts and he AP Biology class....which she isn't doing. She'll procrastinate I'm sure....like mother, like daughter.

All is well on sober island.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Horrible stuff. Listening to the president now....50 people. That is just amazing. What a sick bastard. And its so sad because this will send Islamaphobia even higher. This has nothing to do with Islam. Everything to do with individual psychotics acting on Isis propoganda. Ugh. I feel so badly for Muslims right now. Most are just good people trying to live their lives....like everyone else. Because of the horrible actions of a few, they are going to suffer the consequences. Already are.

Sick and so so sad.
Well said!

We, very sadly, just had a local mosque vandalised by some ignorant idiots throwing bacon at it and daubing it in graffiti.

Luckily the very next day of worship hundreds of locals from all ethnic backgrounds and religions turned out to show support for the local Muslims. There's hope for us all yet.

Congrats on your sober days! Keep it going. :-)
Old 06-15-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Thanks Tufty.

Throwing bacon? That'll show em. Nothing like some flying pork products to a make a statement....ugh.

Its becoming quite clear that Mateen was very mentally ill. Isis can claim him if they want but clearly these were the actions of a man who could not accept who he was and punished those that could. Sad Sad.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Day 44

Slept too much this morning. I was tired of getting up at 5 but 7:15 is too late. Back to 6am tomorrow....just feels so good to sleep deeply and keep falling back to sleep in the morning. But now I'm soooo groggy. But not hungover! Yay.

I was thinking about honesty in sobriety this AM...to myself mostly. So important. Any level of BS is a total block to my continued recovery. I don't think I'm BSing myself right now.....things are good.

Have a good day SR.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

I flipped to the end of this thread to see where you are, Frick! So glad! Way to go.

Not gonna wade into the gun thing- too heavy for my brain. Regardless of your stance on the issue, I think we all agree that decent human beings don't slaughter other human beings (we are addicts but not batsh*t jerks!).

I am so glad to see your recent posts Flick, about things like yoga and the No pen. Keep it up!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Thanks August.

Yeah the gun thing is a controversial issue and I have no answers. Horrid stuff.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

46. Awful quiet here....means everyone is doing great hopefully! All is well here. Daughter is with her Dad until Monday AM. So weird to have 2 full days without her....its ok, I guess. I'll actually see her today because we have to shop for breakfast food. She's going to make her Dad breakfast for father's day then go see Dory.

Yoga this AM...I'm so boring And that's ok. Have a great day SR.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Yes, Frick: you're so boring that this thread only has 318 replies!!

I thoroughly enjoy your writing, and read every update; if this were Twitter, I'd be "following" you (okay, that sounds a little creepy...)

Please continue to "bore" me on a regular basis! Have a good weekend - Arp