Notices

So now that I am going, tell me about rehab

Old 03-10-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I feel like I just want to collapse and be carried into the centre. I know it is better if I go on my own two feet but I am so exhausted. I just don't know how to carry on anymore.
I get it - I wanted to be rescued too. I think many of us feel that badly about ourselves that we couldn't possibly save ourselves - and our addicted self is happy to stoke that fire because it means more drinking.

No one is going to break your door down and carry you off to rehab sirens wailing.

The world does not work like that - and more importantly, recovery does not work like that.

You will get out of your recovery what you put into it. The effort you put in is directly proportional to the eventual strength of your recovery.

I get you may not feel strong now - but you are strong enough not to drink anymore today, and tomorrow and the day after that and so on until rehab happens.

I've seen many folks have a last hurrah and be too drunk to get to rehab.

Don't let your addiction gain the upper hand.

don't wait to start the life you want to live.

D
Old 03-10-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Don't let your addiction gain the upper hand.

don't wait to start the life you want to live.

D
This ^ should be on an SR t-shirt!!

Mera, it's time to start living the life you want, need and most of all, deserve.

Today.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Dee, as usual gives very wise advice The only thing I might add is that if abstaining from drinking results in unpleasant or alarming symptoms suggesting a problem with detoxing, it is important to seek prompt medical help, which would usually be a trip to the Hospital Emergency Room. This being the beginning of the weekend they could supervise your detox and, when it is safe, discharge you directly to the rehab. Good luck.

Bill
Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Rehab is the gateway to a new life if you are over the one you are currently mired in.

Over the course of my life I've been more than once.

But you can go only once...make full use of the staffs experience and knowledge and act on it.

Its hard but sooo worth it

V
Old 03-11-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Stick with me friends, I am still here, hanging on, but barely. I called this morning and the doctor was busy. I called back just now and he was on the other line. They took my number and said eh would call back.... I can't stand this wait. I know I need to be respectful of the doctors that they have other stuff going on but I feel like just ringing back again and again until I get some answers. I want to know, first of all, when I can go. Secondly, what do I need to bring? What can I bring? Can I have visitors? Can people send me letters in the mail?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Mera:
Do you suppose some of these questions can be answered by the rehab? Can you call them directly and get some answers so you feel a little better? Good luck and take care over the weekend.

Bill.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I have, it is there that I keep calling! Ringing again now.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Ok, finally! I got a hold of the doctor. He will confirm within the hour, but it looks like it will be the 15th, next Tuesday.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Such relief. Tonight I meet with my doctor here, we'll talk about what to say to the kids. I can also take my computer and phone though they don't have wifi. This will help me feel relaxed I think. I know a lot of you don't think it is a good idea.
I just need to get everything organised here and pack I guess. They said they provide all linens, I just need to bring my clothes, toiletries and my own bathrobe.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

100% confirmed for Tuesday morning.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Do your best

sending you love & strenght Mera xx
Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good news Mera!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Great news, Mera! I always stuck by telling kids the truth, but age-appropriate, what they can handle. I'm interested to hear what the doctor recommends.

I agree "personal business" suffices in most situations with others, you don't have to get down into the nitty-gritty with everyone.

Hang in there! You should feel relief that there's a plan. What are your plans for the weekend?
Old 03-11-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Pizza and a talk with my boyfriend tonight. Tomorrow yard work, house cleaning, getting my work sorted for my absence. Sunday my son has a soccer tournament that I wouldn't miss for the world, I'm keeping that in my mind to get through the weekend sober.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Mera i didnt go to rehab but i did go into detox. And i can say they worked miracles. Be strong and stay positive xx
Old 03-11-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi Mera,

I am glad you have a definite date, and have worked out plans to remain sober this weekend. Do you have someone who can stay with you to make sure you aren't tempted to drink? I think you will feel a lot better going in on Tuesday with a few sober days under your belt.

Stick close to SR this weekend. I am looking forward to hearing about your rehab experience in a month or so. You are a strong woman, and you can do this!!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 03-11-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

FWIW, I stopped drinking 36 hours before I went in. I wanted to start off sober, somehow that was very important to me. Otherwise, people are generally held away from the rest of the population until they sober up.

It's good to finally have a fixed date. Try to prepare yourself mentally, and again, good luck.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi! I detoxed in the hospital before I went to rehab. I stayed sober for 5 days (white knuckled it) before going to rehab and I am glad I did! A lot of rehabs make you get medical clearance first. Where I went, they had a detox (separate from the rehab), where you had to get medically cleared. One of the things they did was take your BAC...if you tested positive you had to stay in detox for at least one night. A friend of mine drank a bottle of vanilla extract on the way to rehab and wound up in the detox overnight. She still talks about that $795 bottle of vanilla extract (She had to pay almost $800 for one night of detox before the rehab would allow her in). I think it is wise to stay sober a few days before going....you can be somewhat clear headed when you get there and be ready to take advantage of all they have to offer.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good news mera-
Keep busy this weekend, your plan to clean house is a good one. Make everything nice in your home for when you come home to start the next chapter of your life.
I'd suggest that you begin today! If you don't drink this weekend you'll feel good Tuesday when you go. Dont take any risks or chances. Alcohol is poison.
and.....be proud of yourself for making these arrangements.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Still here, hanging on. haven't had any alcohol today and my plan is to keep going without a drink until Tuesday. Found out my son can't play Sunday due to a mix up with his registration into the league. Everything is is official here... I hate that. I wanted to have a happy day and celebrate with him on Sunday. Go off on a good note. I'm starting to get really sad about leaving them. I don't know how I'll bear it.