Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
it genuinely will pass.
Promise?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes! It gets better the longer you stay sober.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Administrator

Patricia, yes, it will pass and I'm glad that you are here posting. Can you do something to distract yourself? It's snowing here, but it's much warmer and an enjoyable day to be outside.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Patricia, yes, it will pass and I'm glad that you are here posting. Can you do something to distract yourself? It's snowing here, but it's much warmer and an enjoyable day to be outside.
It's snowing here too. I'm going to try and do some cleaning around the house to distract myself. I don't know why the anxiety and cravings are so bad in the mornings...
Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Great job on posting Patricia. Stay on and post as much as you need to get you through the cravings. I know I was logged in as much as possible during my early days.

Like the others are saying, it gets better and easier. I know that doesn't help with your immediate cravings, but trust that all of your efforts will build a better tomorrow for you!

You are re-shaping your future by not drinking today. No matter what, don't give in.

You're doing great!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

It's weird, I don't really miss alcohol, or the taste, or even the effect of alcohol. What I am craving is something that helps me deal with this fear and anxiety. I crave anything that would help me feel at peace right now. Does it make sense?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it makes sense. I used alcohol to self-medicate, to deal with depression, anxiety, insomnia. Sadly it doesn't help with any of those things, and I ended up with alcoholism on top of everything else. Have faith that you will be able to deal with the emotions without alcohol.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, it makes sense. I used alcohol to self-medicate, to deal with depression, anxiety, insomnia. Sadly it doesn't help with any of those things, and I ended up with alcoholism on top of everything else. Have faith that you will be able to deal with the emotions without alcohol.
How do you deal with depression, anxiety and insomnia now that you don't self medicate?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Do your best

have you tried meditation ?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

When I first quit drinking, my anxiety was off the charts. The doctor prescribed an anti-anxiety drug and it really helped get me through the first couple of months. The longer I stayed sober, the more the anxiety faded away. As for sleeping, I spent the last 10 years of my drinking life passing out nearly every night, so I didn't really know what a good night's sleep was like anymore. One of the greatest things about living sober is the deep, restorative sleep that I now get every night.

Patricia, have you seen a doctor about your anxiety?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I meditate and I am seeing a doctor and counselor about my anxiety.

But nothing seems to help with the morning anxiety when I wake up with my heart racing and hands shaking. That's when I self medicated with alcohol...but of course it added to the problem.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
It's weird, I don't really miss alcohol, or the taste, or even the effect of alcohol. What I am craving is something that helps me deal with this fear and anxiety. I crave anything that would help me feel at peace right now. Does it make sense?
Yup! Totally! Today I had a few moments where I thought about a drink. I'm really angry with two people in my life and I can't handle the feelings....sooo my mind goes into the thought of a drink. Totally alcoholic. I never miss socializing or having a sip of champagne at a wedding. It's when I'm anxious or angry or nervous and I want to light myself on fire and go down in a blaze of glory that alcohol seems like a good option for me. Craziness!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Do your best

Breathing exercises really help
Old 02-16-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Breathing exercises really help
I'll second that. I do them when I have something really stressful coming up and they seem to help.

Hang in there, Patricia...things WILL get better
Old 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Patricia, I just read this thread.

Today is my 18th month anniversary; I was 61 when I stopped drinking - after 1000+ Day Ones. I drank for every wrong reason in the world - to help with anxiety, occasional panic attacks, to give myself courage in social settings, but mostly out of loneliness. I always thought I could moderate, but of course I never could.

It really does get better. At the beginning I used ice cream, chocolate and exercise to help me cope. I figured out that hunger and thirst were also triggers for me, so I made sure I ate a balanced diet and lots of water. Yoga has helped calm me; I have tried meditation, but it has not worked for me - I just can't seem to clear my head. I find shopping, even window shopping, helps keep me calm, as does reading, walking the beach, baking (for others) and exercise. I do not see my old drinking friends as much as I did, which is probably a good thing. I have become friendlier with neighbors, YMCA members, other library volunteers - now that I do not have to be home by 4:00 every afternoon to start drinking, I find I enjoy doing things like taking seminars, at night.

I no longer have the heart-pounding, crazy songs going through my head, sick to my stomach nights, and as someone else wrote, sobriety truly brings deep, rejuvenating sleep.

At the beginning I really babied myself with manicures, pedicures, massages, facials, etc. That helped keep me away from drinking, calmed me down, and made me feel I was rewarding myself.

PLEASE keep trying. I truly believe if I can do this, anyone can.

Take care of yourself.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

what about exercising in the morning to get rid of that anxiety Patricia? I know it's snowing but maybe you could skip rope in the garage or something?

PS congrats again on 18 months Scooterboo

D
Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I will try that. Thank you Dee
Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

How are you, patricia?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I'm going through the exact same emotions right now. I'm sad this thread so abruptly ended. It was helping me get through my own crippling panic.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I am on day 8. I don't know if it's cravings but anxiety but I do think about it a lot. Walking helps me! Hang in there!

I am so glad I joined this site for info and support.