Notices

Help me to stop drinking

Old 02-12-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You can learn to deal with the anxiety Patricia. It can be very frightening and uncomfortable, but you can get through it. It takes time though.

Can you make some warm hot tea and make a warm bath for yourself? Take yourself out to the movies? Go for a walk? Anything that distracts you?
Old 02-12-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

You absolutely can deal with anything clean and sober. I really believe that.

You have to accept it's going to take a little time and effort tho.

I drank and drugged for decades. I was not going to fix myself in a day or a week.

Some days were very hard. All I wanted to do was drink to get away from the anxiety, the fear and the feeling of doom.

But I didn't.
I posted here.

I tried to do other things. I kicked the walls a little (not recommended), I screamed into my pillow...I started seeing an understanding Dr and counsellor.

and slowly, but surely, things got better

It;s something you have to work on every day - and most important part is not drinking, ever...& finding other positive ways to deal with anxiety.

If you've been on benzoes for a long time coming off those is going to cause anxiety too.

I think you need to find a doctor, one who understands, and be totally honest with them about your drinking, benzo use and anxiety problems.

I don't actually think detox would be the worst thing in the world for you.

I understand your fears, but honestly if your husband wanted to leave he could claim all kinds of things right now, true or not.

You going to detox could be a step back to you being who you want to be?

D
Old 02-12-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're going to have to take a leap of faith and put down the bottle. We can encourage you, but only you can put the bottle down for good. I know it's scary, but once you're sober for a few days, the anxiety gets better.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am on day 5 and almost slipped this afternoon. Please stop today. You are loved!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's 6 o'clock. I am going to try Dee. I trust you, You have been my inspiration since I joined SR. I am going to try because I trust you. You have been more understanding and helpful than any of my doctors. I remember the sober days. 60,days. I trust you Dee. Please if you have any more advice post it here. I need to safe my life. Anxiety is killing me.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
You're going to have to take a leap of faith and put down the bottle. We can encourage you, but only you can put the bottle down for good. I know it's scary, but once you're sober for a few days, the anxiety gets better.
Least is life better for you now? Is anxiety better?
Old 02-12-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

patricia -
Old 02-12-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I honoured you trust me Patrica

Today not a great day for further advice for me tho as I played music last night and I've had 4-5 hours sleep...

rest assured that I'll think it over and if I have any advice today or in the future I'll post it to you
Old 02-12-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Patricia, I know your anxiety will ease up considerably when you stop drinking. It may not go away, but it will be manageable. I know how horrible it feels to have waves of anxiety washing over you.

Patricia, can you make yourself a cup of tea and try to relax? Have a relaxing bath if you can do that. I found that to be really restorative in the early days. Above all, have faith!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Least is life better for you now? Is anxiety better?
Oh, yes, my life is so much better and the anxiety is all but gone. I am on antidepressants and now that I'm sober, they work as they should.

Stop now and you will start feeling better in a week or so. But you've got to take that leap of faith and put the bottle down.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm drinking water right now.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear Patricia

D
Old 02-12-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

That's great to hear, Patricia.

We are beside you all the way.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hugs Patricia. I know you can do this too, you are stronger than you give yourself credit for!
Stay close and drink water or tea. This will pass.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hugs Patricia. I know you can do this too, you are stronger than you give yourself credit for!
Stay close and drink water or tea. This will pass.
That's what my counselor keeps telling me. Why is it so hard for me to believe it? I don't believe that I am strong.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I didn't believe I was strong either until I put down the bottle. The more sober time I had, the stronger I felt and the stronger I was. I started believing in myself again. Booze keeps us going in a vicious cycle and keeps us mired in the lies that we are weak and we can't function without a drink. But the truth is we can function and we can even thrive without alcohol. It's the booze that keeps us down, without it we're just fine.
Xoxo
Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Patricia the thing about "being strong" is that you are trying right now to face your entire future "being strong". I did that some many times!

There is no need to do that, just deal with this minute.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Patricia. I lost custody of my kids in 2010. My ex-husband and I had shared custody and he decided he wanted to move 90 miles away, with our kids. I fought in court and lost because I was actively drinking, with a fresh DUI under my belt.

I share this with you not to scare or upset you, quite the contrary! In just under one month of sobriety I have made significant strides with my relationship with my kids, especially my 16 year old.

I didn't think life was possible without a couple bottles of wine per night. I didn't WANT a life without wine, without my cocoon.

Patricia, I am here to tell you, it will click. It will. But be gentle with yourself. Go to bed early with a good book or watch guilty pleasure TV. Make yourself some tea.

You sound so sweet but so scared. Don't drink anymore tonight. ((Hugs))
Old 02-12-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Minute by minute , hour by hour, day day by day, etc...

Breathe first...That's all you need to do is breathe...Start there for the first minute..
Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You can do this Patricia. Don't drink any more today X