Notices

Help me to stop drinking

Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Patricia,

I don't have any advice other than what has been offered. Just wanted to send some virtual hugs your way. You can do this, and I really think being honest with your doctor can help you sort out the anxiety.

❤️Delilah
Old 02-12-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Oh and Patricia, if you check in here during the night there will be lots of us around. It's the middle of the day in Australia, That's the beauty of SR, you are never alone, there is always a friend here.

We're here for you.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had very bad anxiety towards the end of my drinking too Patricia. The drinking is what was causing it actually. I know it's difficult to quit, but it is the only way thigns will ever get better. Use all the support you can find to make quitting your number one goal over anything else and things will get better.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My life is falling apart and I don't know how to deal without alcohol.
I believe in positive thinking, self love, let it go. But I am so scared right now that I can't even function.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
My life is falling apart and I don't know how to deal without alcohol.
I believe in positive thinking, self love, let it go. But I am so scared right now that I can't even function.
Alcohol makes It all worse Patricia. No healing can take place until you stop. There are detox facilities that are free and reduced fee all over the country, perhaps you should consider seeking some more intensive help to get you over the initial detox phase?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

least I don't believe in myself, that's the problem. I think I can't do this. I am scared. I want to be sober so bad but the panic is killing me.
You should believe in yourself, you have done it before!
We believe in you.

Just focus on now.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm punishing myself with alcohol. Like I don't deserve a good life because I hurt my dad and my friends in the past. I feel guilty. And the only way to make it up for my mistakes is to destroy myself and my life...

There was a time when I used to love myself. I used to be proud of who I was. How do I get back there? How do I love myself again?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How do I get back there? How do I love myself again?
Step 1, stop drinking. Just worry about that first.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Step 1, stop drinking. Just worry about that first.
Totally agree.

Take it one step at a time, one moment at a time, Patricia.

Try to get some sleep tonight; take a warm bath and then try to nod off. It will be easier to deal with the moments and steps when you are not so tired.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Patricia, everyone has made mistakes in their past. Even non addicts.
The best way to make up for your mistakes is to turn your life around and be the best person you can for you and the ones you care about.

Get some rest.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I don't know why I always thought alcohol was helping me out/cope,I'm depressed(drink)im mad(drink) boyfriend and I split up(drink)my cat ran away(drink)alcohol only make things worse,I didnt get how worse it made me feel untill I relapsed,alcohol is pure evil,good luck and I really wish you the best,take care
Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hugs Patricia!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

hi patricia. I know it seems impossible to you at this time but leaving the booze is the best advice everyone is saying. I can't begin to explain how anxious I got then drank, felt ok cos I'd drank till I fell asleep then started all over again.

When I stopped, slowly the fog lifted, I dealt with my anxieties differently, in fact the anxieties were my brain wanting more alcohol and manipulating me to drink more. The problems were still there when I stopped but I was able to deal with them better, I wasn't spending on booze so had more cash. Life slowly got better.

It can't happen overnight. Years of misuse to my body can't just go like that, but with perseverance and SR I got through it.

I hope you can move away from the booze, I said I don't drink, then I learnt the recovery side. It does get easier but not if you keep giving in to the addiction.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing you the best over the next 24h you can do this Patricia
Old 02-13-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi Patricia,

Everyone is rooting for you here and there's plenty of support as always.

One step at a time yeah.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Patricia,

Hope you are doing better today. Praying for you.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Rooting for you.

In my case, the alcohol was causing the anxiety. I have not had one, not one, panic attack sober. It is so liberating. Life is not all leprachans and unicorns, but 100 times better than it was.

You mentioned benzos. I didn't have the experience of using both alcohol and benzos at the same time, but others in detox did. It made those initial few days pretty rough. You just have to move past them, and know that you might have to feel bad initially to get to the other side. Would it be possible to get some outside support? Imagine this is tough on your own.

We are here, and keep posting. YOU CAN DO THIS.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking at 6pm yesterday. I even sat and listened to my husband rant about how miserable he is for an hour. I went to bed. I fell asleep. At 2am I woke up covered in sweat and panicking. I couldn't go back to sleep. Maybe 10-15 minutes at a time. Trying to solve my problems after a day of drinking wasn't a good idea. It made everything even more scary.

I drank what was left this morning. Plus what my husband left. The anxiety keeps coming back. I tried breathing exercises and it didn't help. I am scared, and angry, and hopeless.

I need to stop this. I need to have a good night of sleep so I can function. I need to stop worrying and panicking. I need to stop drinking.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The anxiety will keep coming back as long as you keep drinking. You've got to stop drinking long enough to experience the joy of recovery. When you first get sober, the withdrawal anxiety can be rough. But the longer you stay sober, the more it goes away.

Please stay sober today. You can get thru this.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm worried about you Patricia. You are having such a tough time physically and emotionally I really think calling a doctor and getting outside help is the very best thing for you. It is scary, but you are worth it. You mentioned being concerned about money, I am not sure about Canada, but I know the US has lots of free treatment facilities, and if you were to go to an ER they would have to take you.

Do you have any close friends you can call? Would your husband be willing to help you?

Please let us know how you are doing. Sending lots of love your way.

❤️Delilah