Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

How's things Mike?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hey Mike-How's it goin' today?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I'm doing well. Day 4. I'm making sure I eat and drink well and get enough rest. Physically I feel a bit tense and heavy. There's a bit of a headache too. But nothing major.

Mentally I'm tired. I guess it takes a lot of energy for my brain to reboot. Which I think is also the reason I sleep 10-12 hours a night and am tired during the day still. But I can function and it's not too bad. And it's a good sign.

I've been through this before. It's all exactly the same pattern. It'll pass in a short while.

No desire to drink. I'm in the phase where it repulses me. Where I need to start being more careful is when the repulsion goes away. But I've been through that phase before as well, so I know I can do it.

Where it went wrong last time was thinking that a little champagne on New Year's Eve couldn't hurt. I've imprinted in my brain and accepted that I can never have even one single sip ever again. Which is kind of freeing actually. It's not anything I have to think about or put energy in since it's never part of my life.

So, it's going as it should. It's great to be able post here and I appreciate the interactions!
Old 01-19-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'm doing well. Day 4. I'm making sure I eat and drink well and get enough rest. Physically I feel a bit tense and heavy. There's a bit of a headache too. But nothing major.

Mentally I'm tired. I guess it takes a lot of energy for my brain to reboot. Which I think is also the reason I sleep 10-12 hours a night and am tired during the day still. But I can function and it's not too bad. And it's a good sign.

I've been through this before. It's all exactly the same pattern. It'll pass in a short while.

No desire to drink. I'm in the phase where it repulses me. Where I need to start being more careful is when the repulsion goes away. But I've been through that phase before as well, so I know I can do it.

Where it went wrong last time was thinking that a little champagne on New Year's Eve couldn't hurt. I've imprinted in my brain and accepted that I can never have even one single sip ever again. Which is kind of freeing actually. It's not anything I have to think about or put energy in since it's never part of my life.

So, it's going as it should. It's great to be able post here and I appreciate the interactions!
Good going Mike.

Yeah, I sort of got into "replacement therapy" as I have grown to find out I need to replace the 'space' addiction took up with good, healthy, things that TRANSPORT me to a good HEAD SPACE in a wholesome way, not in a destructive way. It's too tempting to replace one destructive addiction with another....

Right now I am turning to music and just got done listening to some Sarah McLaughlin "Blackbird, Fly",(wow). Alison Krauss "Stay". The Waylin Jennys "Beautiful Dawn" .

I understand all about sleep issues!! Hang in there. You are among friends!

Healing, m'friend, healing. The brain is healing.

j

Old 01-19-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Mike: We've all had broken wings before and needed some help and healing to repair those broken "wings". It can happen. My biggest roadblock sometimes is allowing others to help me and losing hope that they cannot be repaired.

When I heard this song by Sarah McLachlan i was transported and filled with hope. Here it is with lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ac3tEltTU
Old 01-21-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Accepting that you can't have even one sip is the first step in AA. For me it was very liberating. No need to kid myself anymore. It's made quitting much easier. I just don't pick one up because I know. The trouble always starts when you forget or kid yourself about that first sip. It's happens with a few days or years of sobriety. Always One Day at a Time.