Notices

Day 0

Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Mike
I'm sorry you're hurting and I've been where you are too many times. And no, I didn't think your posts yesterday were embarrassing. And frankly, who cares right? You're here to get help in a form that resonates with you. Who cares what others think? I mean, sensitivity and diplomacy are always important, but ultimately it doesn't matter what others think of us. And posting drunk? This is a newcomer forum.....drunk posting is kinda to be expected. I actually respect people that come on drunk....at least they are trying.

When I have found myself in the place where I simply cannot stop or taper, I go to detox. That is the only way. Most cities have free or low cost detox facilities. The ER can also usually help, or refer you to a facility that can. So when you've drunk yourself sick enough call for help. Until then you'll keep drinking. Just know the only thing in your way is you. Make the call, even if it's 911 if you haven't got a friend who can help. You won't regret it.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

" I want to get rid of the alcohol. I'm looking for help. "

Dump the alcohol. Thats how you get rid of it. Once you get sober, or at least stop drinking you can get help.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Just a reminder about the mandate in this Forum:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
I'm a little scared now. Was I wrong? Was the other poster right? Should I post while drunk or not? I worry that I did something wrong. What is what I should and shouldn't do?

Btw, as someone else mentioned, my writing is coherent. I've also drunk more than the average person would consider to be way above their limit. I just write well, even when drunk. There's a limit though and I can feel it coming.

"Chaos, my name has negative connotations,
Yet I'm only responsible for random events, happenings and relations."
Old 01-12-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We all have our own opinions that's why I like this site. I actually enjoy drunken FB posts from others, but I like the sober posts on here to keep me grounded. Anyways, post whatever way you like, I do respect everyone's right to do what they wanna do, lord knows I always do whats right for me . Keep coming back here for support! Peace out!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Brother you have got to stop worrying about your posts while drinking here and focus on stopping!!

Why don't you make a phone call and find an inpatient detox? It will break the cycle where you are struggling to just stop & get you out of the house where you are alone and continuing to drink.

You can stop mate, you just have to make a move!

Good luck, you can do this and you will be glad you did
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
now's the time

I was too drunk to find myself a detox. So I called my family and said "I've been drinking and I can't stop, and I need help." They found me a detox and a rehab and we sorted out insurance and such when I could think straight again.

You can do that, too. Not necessarily your family, although that's great if you can. But no matter what your situation with friends and family, you can get in a cab and go to the ER and tell them "I can't stop and I need help".

I couldn't get sober. But it was OK because all I needed to do to save my life was to find people who could help me.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I was too drunk to find myself a detox. So I called my family and said "I've been drinking and I can't stop, and I need help." They found me a detox and a rehab and we sorted out insurance and such when I could think straight again.

You can do that, too. Not necessarily your family, although that's great if you can. But no matter what your situation with friends and family, you can get in a cab and go to the ER and tell them "I can't stop and I need help".

I couldn't get sober. But it was OK because all I needed to do to save my life was to find people who could help me.
I will be fine.

Which sounds extremely weird from somone in my position. 18 cans of beer down, and I can still type. Some things I just do really well.

But I will be fine. Give me couple of days.

"My name is Quitting,
sometimes I exist, sometimes I don't"
Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mike

you're right - actively drinking shouldn't stop you from posting here, especially if you're wanting help.

The object should be stopping drinking now, though.

Sitting here to pass the time or to be entertained while drinking would be a very different thing.

'A couple of days' is a nebulous point in time that go sailing past very easily.
The only day in which you can really ensure you do something, you make change, is today.

Just because you've never stopped drinking once the bottle is open before is no barrier to doing just that today.

We can all learn new things.

I suggest you start on a recovery plan right away - no excuses about I'll do it tomorrow or I'm too drunk to right now - if you're looking for help and wanting to change, there's no better time for that but right now.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 01-12-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Try not to over-think things-sometimes I make things more complicated than they need to be...I've tryed to adopt an acceptance attitude- if I can change my attitude that's half the battle.... I've had to accept the fact that alcohol as a means of coping is just no longer an option for me...
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Im too wasted folks. Talk to tou tomorrow, sober. Just so you know, all the feedback did help and canged my mindset. Now i'm too far gone to make sense. Brighter days are coming.

"If you keep a light of love in the corner of your dark place,
You just have to touch the love and be on your way."
Old 01-12-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Focus on those brighter days you mention, Mike. You can get free of this trap.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
It's not easy, but it's simple. In order to get sober you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Hey Mike, I agree with least. I'll give you another analogy. Running is marathon is simple, you just run. But its definitely not easy.

ps, I didn't find anything you said previously embarrassing or offensive.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

If you can't stop yourself right now, please get into detox.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'll just reiterate what I've said before... No condemnation, friend! Fact of the matter is I understand all too well how people and things and sadness and frustration can drive a person to drink!! I know that is not an acceptable excuse, but that what often gets it started and/or causes it to progress ..
Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do yourself a favour today Mike and post here sober - it really is a great place - lots to gain and learn here

D
Old 01-13-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

How you feeling today Mike?
Old 01-13-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm thinking of you too, Mike. You can leave that misery behind.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

MikeM, I wouldn't know you if we met in person- no need to be embarrassed about anything you post here. It doesn't bother me if you post drunk as long as you wish to quit. It helps me to not drink. If I can help I will. If posting helps you then post away.

Best Wishes my friend
Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Mike, do you have a plan to stop? Have you broken down the problem into doable steps? Have you reached out to someone you love and asked for their support and understanding?

Inertia and momentum can be difficult as they act to keep you in your comfort zone. There's nothing wrong with being afraid of striking out on a new path -- but to quote Stonewall Jackson, "Take no counsel from your fears." You can do this, bud -- but the choice is yours, and choosing not to decide is still a choice.

I'm very new to recovery, so my words may seem shallow, but they've helped me begin the journey to a new outlook, where I analyze my behaviors more objectively, and strive for serenity.

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Hey Mike, no one forces you go buy alcohol, if you sat in and didn't go anywhere Sobriety will happen, but doing something else is the key, distraction, some kind of activity.

How about posting here and checking in BEFORE going for that beer tomorrow morning?
I come in every morning after rising, and every night before bed, to reinforce my drive to recovery.

And I don't buy beer.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Posting sober. The first thing I did when I woke up was throwing up. No throat should have to endure that much stuff going through it all at once. And it was mostly undigested unhealthy food too. Enough details.

I'm not drinking anymore. I know it will be difficult, but I also know you all can help. Yesterday, while going through the replies, something was beginning to click. I started to believe that I actually CAN quit. I was beginning to believe the messages while previously I had an unconscious block against them. Like they weren't true for me anyway. I no longer feel that way.

Ok, time to collapse into bed and sleep off the hangover... I'll be fine, just asleep. So if it takes a while for me to respond, I'm recovering. I've been known to have hangovers that last for days...

Thanks a lot everyone! Time to take charge and make my life the way I want it to be!