Notices

Day 0

Old 01-15-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hangovers getting worse is a sign alcoholism is progressing

It doesn't get better
My hangovers got worse and worse too.
I actually at the end of my drinking developed an "allergy" to alcohol
and I had really nasty reactions from drinking like face rashes, bowel inflammation and bleeding.

All sorts of fun things.
It's really better to sober up and stop now Mike. Really.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Why is this so much more difficult for me than many other people?
It's not Mike

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 01-15-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Here again. Not doing well. I spent a few days and nights in bed, I don't really remember much. Except for being extremely sick. Dehydrated. Not having eaten.

I had some water. Then there was beer left. I did re-hydrate and got some old bread in my. I drank to relieve the extreme stress from coming out of such a terrible binge. I'll survive. Tomorrow will be better. I will post asap, but since my hangovers are starting to last longer and longer, I'm not sure when it will be.

I do have put a huge bottle of water next to my bed. And I had gotten so dehydrated I almost passed out. That shouldn't happen again.

Why is this so much more difficult for me than many other people? I thought about making a plan and came up blank, except for just not ever drinking again. Which has not worked out so far...

I'll survive and will be back. Thanks for the replies!
You know, I don't think it's necessarily more difficult for you than others. Making a plan is going to take some discipline on your part...it's hard, it's rough, especially when you feel like crap. But, coming to the board and checking in today is a good part of a good plan. Having water at your bedside is also a good part of a good plan. (staying well hydrated)

You can do this Mike.

Please DO come back. Rest as much as you need to. Think about all the reasons you DON'T want to drink and when your thoughts start to wander in AV territory tell it to buzz off, but you have permission to use whatever language you want to get that AV to go away!!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I found this song yesterday during my music therapy time. I'm struggling to get through these January blues...and I know it will pass, but some days just feel very gray/dark and it's hard to get motivated just to some of the simplest tasks I need to do...But this is just one day out many more to come and what we do right now will an impact on how we feel tomorrow. Hangovers, suck man, but you don't have to feel this way ever again.

"Rain"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbjE7NFmUI
Old 01-15-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Such a beautiful song... Thank you. I love music. I have my sobriety song on my profile if you're interested. It's a song that means so much to me on so many levels and has been a thread of positivity throughout my whole life.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Getting sober was very hard for me to do. I kept relapsing and hating myself. I had to take that "leap of faith" that things would get better if I stopped drinking. And I had to stay sober even when things weren't so good.

But it's worth it. Six years later and I treasure every minute of my life.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Have you thought about getting medical attention Mike? You said you had to drink today. I think once you are completely alcohol free, you might be able to think/feel differently.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Such a beautiful song... Thank you. I love music. I have my sobriety song on my profile if you're interested. It's a song that means so much to me on so many levels and has been a thread of positivity throughout my whole life.
Glad you liked that song, Mike! I am exploring Patty Griffin's music, which has been on my to do list for some time now and just haven't gotten around to it. She writes many of her songs.

This song here is not one I feel I can sing honestly everyday as there are days I don't feel like "dealing" with stuff, but I try to remember that even if you/we feel like GIVING UP there is always someone else who WILL NOT give up on us. Just knowing there is another soul out there who hasn't given up on you makes a world of difference sometimes.

Enjoy!

"I Don't Ever Give Up"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpTyT1Wj_I
Old 01-16-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Finally day 1! To be honest, I don't think I could have handled it one more day.

I'm feeling quite terrible, but well, that was to be expected. It's time to take it easy for a while. Healthy food. Enough water.

Thanks everyone so much for helping me out! At one point something must have clicked, since I feel very differently about drinking now. I still need a plan though, but that's is beginning to take shape. No drinking, taking good care of myself and when it gets difficult, post here. Seems like a good start.

Again, thanks a lot!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

A good start Mike - congrats

D
Old 01-16-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Awesome mike!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Very happy to hear that Mike . . . onwards to writing the next chapter to your life!!
Old 01-16-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Post the plan when you can
and pre-post any temptations!

Good luck
Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Let us know how your day goes.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

The first step of the journey is the hardest.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5744336
Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
Stopping was easy. Staying stopped was very hard for me. And that is why I will never drink again. I don't ever want to go through that again.
^^^^that about sums it up.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Mike, I don't know if quitting is more difficult for some than others. I drank for 30 years and 41 days is the longest I've been sober. This is day 41.

I became quite desperate to quit. It felt like an out of body experience going to AA that first time. I decided to do anything to quit. Sounds dumb I decided to never pick up a bottle again. NEVER. I read a lot on this board about AV. I recognized for what it was, addiction not my thoughts. Separating it from me helped greatly. I also do something other than sit around when I would normally be drinking. I don't go to places or see friends I use to drink with.

The first week was difficult the next week not so much. Not drinking hasn't bother me for the last week or two. I don't go straight home after work, I do something else.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Also I don't think about not drinking for the rest of my life only today. One day at a time. I just don't drink today. Tomorrow I'll wake up and not drink for that day.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mike