Notices

IV Amino Acid Therapy Journal

Old 01-11-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

IV Amino Acid Therapy Journal

I'll start by saying that today is Day 1. And it doesn't hurt, thanks to the IV!

This morning I started intravenous amino acid therapy to detox and rapidly reduce my cravings and other symptoms.

I showed up at 9 am with a dreadful hangover. They weighed me and took my vitals, started me on an oral anti-seizure med and then I met with the doctor who specializes in "functional medicine." He asked a ton of questions, then went away to work up the customized IV cocktail of vitamins, co-enzymes, and amino acids.

It took them quite a long time to get the IV started because I was so dehydrated. The first bag of the IV drip was all the various types of B vitamins and it took about 2 hours. The second bag was the "special sauce," what they call Natural Assisted Detox (NAD). It took an hour and when it was done, my vision had cleared and I was no longer dizzy and shaking. The third and fourth bags were co-enzymes and amino acids.

Throughout the day, they fed me protein shakes and brought in lunch.

After the IV, they did "muscle testing." That looked like pure quackery, but I'm open to trying anything. I held a bottle of a supplement in my left hand, while a nurse held my right hand in her left hand. She extended her right hand out in front of her, pressing the tips of her thumb and forefinger together. The doctor then tried to pry them apart. If it was difficult, it meant that I didn't need the supplement I was holding in my left hand. If it was easy, the supplement I was holding went into a bag to go home with me. We "tested" about a dozen supplements this way.

Then... It gets even better... A woman came in with a little device about the size of a cell phone. It beeped and flashed a small red light. She had a thick volume of hundreds of different "laser protocols" for various ailments. The doctor had prescribed three for me. I was told to cross my ankles, left over right, hold my breath, and she flashed the little light various places -- in my ear, the back of my neck, my wrists and knees. Then, she'd give me another odd instruction, and she'd flash the light other places. This took about a half hour.

Finally I was finished about 4:30. My instructions were to go directly from the doctor's office over to the outpatient recovery counseling center. The owner and director were waiting for me and made a plan for tonight. They were adamant that I had to have a detailed plan to remain sober until tomorrow. The owner gave me a copy of a book he authored with his son, "Recovery of a Lifetime," about his own recovery from alcoholism.

One of my instructions for tonight was to be in community -- so here I am!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds all very positive SiS!!

Community . . . we got that in truck loads here on SR!!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

It does sound strange SiS, but if it works.

Best wishes.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I'm very curious on how everything turns out.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like the IVs are full of things that get depleted during our alcoholism. The other stuff.. who knows. But worth a shot.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, hope everything continues to go well.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations on Day 1!!!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Interesting ! Good luck and keep us posted please
Old 01-11-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fascinating. Id like to learn more about this.
Keep updating and congratulations on day 1.

Thanks for mentioning the book, Im going to look it up.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I thought this was part of an inpatient program, where are you staying at night? Did you have to get your own housing?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So weird! But amazing and interesting! I have read about the amino acid therapy. The rest sounds super strange but anything is worth a try, right? I remember one time a guest staying at the villa was a Bach Flower practitioner. Those homeopathic, flower and herb essence drops. Anyway, she did a "test" to come up with a personalized combination for me. I had to hold each of the essences in my hand (similar to what you describe with the supplements) and then she waved a metal ball type thing over my hand. Something happened which indicated whether or not I needed them or not. Again, weird, but who really knows?
In any case, all the vitamins and IV stuff are positive and needed it sounds like.
I am glad you are taking this step and getting help.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I thought this was part of an inpatient program, where are you staying at night? Did you have to get your own housing?
'Morning, Delilah! I'm staying at a nearby hotel. This is an intensive outpatient program. They would prefer that I had brought a friend to chaperone me, but none was available.

The coaches were awfully concerned about this because it's usually about 3-4 days before the cravings stop. The deal they gave me was this: We met immediately after the IV treatment to build a detailed plan for the night. I got one of their cell numbers and had to promise to call BEFORE drinking. And I promised to tell them honestly today if I'd made it through the night.

I did! But if I hadn't, they were ready with Plan B -- sending a "sober companion" to stay with me in my hotel, following me everywhere both day and night.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing well and in my experience these centers have helped me recover in the early stages, plans are so critical but it's up to us to follow them in my case for life.

It's interesting that this is an outpatient program as they are not offered here, they keep you as it's considered a controlled safe environment, stay strong especially for the next few days as they were very rough in my case.

You are doing great and happy you are sober, it's been a journey as I follow your posts.

Wishing you the very best.

Andrew
Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So Here's Day Two...

I detoxed hard last night, waking up after only 5 hours of sleep, drenched in sweat. I'm exhausted! But everybody told me I looked great for someone two days sober.

Same IV protocol as yesterday, only I didn't complete the "magic sauce" -- the NAD bag. It made me ill, so they only gave me half.

Like yesterday, I had a couple of other treatments which seemed kind of quackish --one was holding a couple of medal rods while a biofeedback machine assessed my health. But I'll tell you something... That machine detected EVERY ache, pain, ailment, and worry I have! Nonetheless, I'm still convinced the meat and potatoes are in the IV protocol.

At my outpatient program this evening, I met a young man who also got the IV treatment. After 7 days, he had no further cravings for heroin and has now been sober over four months.

Only Day 2, and my cravings are minimal. I just wish I felt and looked better. Will check back in tomorrow...
Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really don't want to discourage you or anyone reading but I have to be honest testimonials like this worry me:

After 7 days, he had no further cravings for heroin and has now been sober over four months.
They worry me because that's not my experience of recovery - at all.

What's the aftercare component of this like SIS?

D
Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I have to agree with Dee. The program, IV protocol, may assist in a quick and less traumatic detox, but there still has to an aftercare system to prevent relapses.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hi SIS....sounds like you have drawn a line in the sand which is good.

Seems like the IV are giving your body what it needs to rebuild a heal which is also good.

Don't assume this program will help banish the cravings though, you will need to be prepared and able to handle them if (when) they come. It also will not be able to teach you how to live sober, that you will also need to do. Look on it as a helping hand with the first step of a lifelong journey.

btw, you were tapering down to one drink before entering right? Did you break this and binge the day before?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

If I remember correctly, you said that there was a year-long recovery plan as a part of your treatment. Is it being specially tailored to your needs as a result of your response to the detox?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
If I remember correctly, you said that there was a year-long recovery plan as a part of your treatment. Is it being specially tailored to your needs as a result of your response to the detox?
Good morning. Feeling awesome today after 9 hours of sleep!

Several of the same question above, so I'll quote Sweaty Hands. Yes, you are all exactly right. I thought I had explained this before; sorry if I wasn't clear. The premise of the IV is to reduce the withdrawal symptoms including cravings. It is not promoted at all as a full recovery.

That's why the medical facility that does the IV partners with an intensive recovery program which includes individual counseling, groups, and overall sober life planning. I spend very little time alone each day. I go directly from IV over to the recovery center and participate in counseling and groups for 3-6 hours per day.

Before leaving here, my coach and I will set up a detailed aftercare program for me in Syracuse.

The young heroin addict I met is free of cravings, which allows him to do the work of recovery. For him, that is grieving the loss of his addict girlfriend who is not ready to get clean, finding a job, and building a new network of sober friends.

Make sense? Did I do a better job explaining this?