Notices

A Musical Holiday Weekender Thread December 25th

Old 12-24-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

In!

I love how this thread sends me down all kind of musical and Google adventures.

Chestnuts to Clydesdales (they are chestnut colored.)

That Nat King Cole song links to lots of old songs, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby. I remember my mother singing along to the "The Christmas Song" as a young mother. Good memory.

Not chatty this morning. I may go to the mall just to watch, like weasel. Then again it's pouring rain and I'm sure parking will be impossible.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

If only it would get just a smidge colder, Bim.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to all...
Old 12-24-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Earth Child

https://youtu.be/MYGU8ueBD-k
Old 12-24-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Eve

Old 12-24-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Do your best

Merry christmas eve Sp brain trypraying & everybody else
Old 12-24-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Old 12-24-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

One of my favorites...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_O%27Keeffe

Old 12-24-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Saoutchik. Man of few words. How's your daughter doing on her return? Nice to have her back, I'm sure.

At work although it's going to be s super abbreviated day.

Tetra, hiding out is a good thing sometimes.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

SP, that first image threw me at first, it looked like some dark tendrils and smoke of some sort - I like that visual deception. Those are lovely.

Oh, weasel, I particularly liked the ending to "November Man."
Old 12-24-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I thought you would like them, Bim.

A lot of her style is about perspective and scale.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This will be the 'third' Christmas Eve I will spend with the family not drinking.

The first one was kind of a blur. I just lost my job the week before xmas. A lot of emotions going on. Only one person knew what happened. I kept it a secret. But I was not going to drink.
I took a few bottles of SPelligrino with me. And I made sure that I had a glass in my hand at all times with my soda water on ice. Unless I had a cup of coffee. Every time someone went for beer I was asked if I needed one. NO, I'm okay. Would you like a glass of wine. NO, I'm fine with this. When they started passing around the boilo, I almost got ill from the smell of it. Got me coffee instead.
My brother picked up extra beer for me. I was gifted around six bottles of wine which I promptly gave back. When I was leaving I was asked if I was okay to drive. It was a horrible time for me - inside. But I didn't let it 'ruin' the holiday for anyone else. I just quietly DID NOT DRINK.

Last year of course, they all knew what happened and things were a little different. Tonight, I assume it will again be another few hours watching my family getting loaded for xmas. Mrs will be working and I'll be celebrating xmas eve as we've done since - a long time - without the booze (for me) and driving home with a clear head to be here when my wife arrives home around midnite.

In years past, we would get a room in town so we could either walk or drive drunk to the hotel. Usually walk. Let's get drunk on xmas eve - it's family tradition. One that I've broken.
My new Christmas tradition is to be clear headed and sober. And hopefully this will eventually rub off on the rest of my family.

If you go anywhere, TAKE YOUR OWN DRINKS ALONG. Do not assume they will have a non-alcoholic drink that you like. And make sure you have a glass of something in your hand so you can say I'm fine, I have one. Even if it's just a prop - nurse a club soda for an hour if you have to. But always be prepared to say NO THANKS, I ALREADY HAVE ONE.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
SP, that first image threw me at first, it looked like some dark tendrils and smoke of some sort - I like that visual deception. Those are lovely. Oh, weasel, I particularly liked the ending to "November Man."
I thought so too. They never spoke but both got how evil that guy was and teamed up. Awesome!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

SP, I took a lot of Art History classes in college - I've probably seen those images before - but I don't remember them. I'm going to call the old-alcoholic rule right now.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
saoutchik

My older sister has kept me really busy today. I will be working at her restaurant and staying the night. I was supposed to do it last year but stayed in on my own drinking instead. I had put it to the back of my mind but my sister certainly hasn't forgotten (apparently my BIL got pretty sloshed too, unusual for him). No chance of that this year but my Sis is taking advantage by guilt tripping me

Great to have daughter 2 back. She is out with friends tonight but I will see both of them again on Boxing Day

Stopped raining at last. Parts of the North West much worse. Carlisle now resembles Atlantis

I am more comfortable and confident in my judgement with designs and structures. Always tongue tied with paintings, I never know what I am supposed to feel
Old 12-24-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I thought so too. They never spoke but both got how evil that guy was and teamed up. Awesome!
I meant the very last frame, but the whole plot was very well done and twisty. I like twisty.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
SP, I took a lot of Art History classes in college - I've probably seen those images before - but I don't remember them. I'm going to call the old-alcoholic rule right now.
I took art history classes, too. I even considered switching majors at one point, but was so far along, I just didn't. I absolutely loved art history.

O'Keeffe was most famous for the flower paintings, you'll remember those I'm sure.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm in!

Merry Christmas Eve, all!

I'm headed to my sister's for some alcohol free holiday cheer!

I took the little one to Medieval Times last night... We had the best time! He was enthralled and entranced! It was difficult to get him to bed afterwards bc he had to fight a lot of imaginary knights and I had to referee. Somehow he won every time it was a blast! When we ran out of knights we pretended he was fighting sharks. Watching his imagination bloom is one of the best perks of the job!

Here is one of my favorite schools of painting, very soothing to the mind:
The Hudson River School | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

I stumbled upon these at the Smithsonian in DC. I have the weirdest story regarding what the security guard told me when he saw me in my gray knee length pencil skirt, black knee socks and shiny black patent leather loafers.

I'm standing there looking at a painting and he comes up to me, Morgan Freeman looking type gentleman, nightstick type thing softly rapping against his palm and whispers in my ear:

'Those shoes WILL be polished to that same level of shininess the next time you come here. Or you will be disciplined.'

And then he strolled away.

I was 24 years old. I think I hit all the receptors for his pervy fantasies lololol.

As much as I love the Hudson River School of painting, it will always be intertwined with the memory of those black patent leather loafers.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I took art history classes, too. I even considered switching majors at one point, but was so far along, I just didn't. I absolutely loved art history.

O'Keeffe was most famous for the flower paintings, you'll remember those I'm sure.
I'm familiar on a macro level with her work (O'Keeffe ) but I just don't remember that image of the tree. Her work is pretty unique and identifiable, don't you think?
Old 12-24-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Welp ~

An exciting Morning around MesaVille, here.

The Pooch was laying by the Door at 5 AM, so out we go in 5 F [-15 C] Temps. A slight Breeze was kickin', and my Mustache started Icing up. That's my Hirsute Indicator that it's below 10 F. A fine Moon Set. He does his Morning Constitutional while I scan my Flashlight around looking for Mountain Lions, and back in we go. He turned down his 1/2 a Reward Cookie, so I knew sumptin' was up.

Then, he's back laying by the Door. He's usually back keeping my side of the Bed warm. Before I can get into my Boots, he hurls on the Runner Rug by the Door. Massive. Out again we go. Nuffin'. I rinse off the Runner Rug in the Guest Bathtub. It's in the Washer now. Turn on the Electric Oven w/Door open for a few Minutes to blast up the House Temp until the Sun's up. Coffee.

Haul a spare Trailer Battery out to the Gate to temporarily power up my Wireless 'Net Bridge Antenna. ~1.5 hours later, I'm all ready to chill.

Da Wife gets up, and goes ballistic at another massive Hurl Pile I hadn't slowed down enough to see on the huge Rug given us from India. She almost grabs the Whole House Vacuum Hose. I talk her down from that grand idea because it would deposit Hurl throughout the In-Wall Vacuum Piping. I go out and grab a spare portable Vacuum from my Shop. Didn't need it anyway. She finally settles down, and makes amends with Da Pooch who - from all her yelling - has got this look on his downtrodden Face like a whipped Bloodhound.

Later, we go get the Roast we've ordered, and run some other Errands; hopefully on Deiced Highways. Roads in the Mountains are closed. They're launching Mortars from Trucks up into Slabs to intentionally trigger Snow Slides to then Plow away. Nature- and Human-caused Avalanches are going off everywhere [not on us], thanks to 40" of new Snow. A Private Jet crashed on the Telluride Runway yesterday, which was closed for Snowplowing. No Injuries. Hopefully, the Pilot didn't over-spend on Xmas Presents, since he won't have a Job to pay for them.

- Private Jet Hits Telluride Snowplow -

Nonetheless, yet another fine Day to be Sober!

- 'Merry Christmas Baby' ~ Otis Redding -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Full Moon_320.jpg (35.1 KB, 30 views)