Notices

A Musical Holiday Weekender Thread December 25th

Old 12-24-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!!

You can't get any more "freedom" in a song than this . . . enjoy!!

Old 12-24-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Merry Christmas lunar!!!!

Merry Christams everyone!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Melina, that story about museum-guard guy. . .um.

I'm just so super glad I'm past that age where guys start conversations with sexy pervy stuff!!
I am not.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I am not.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
This will be the 'third' Christmas Eve I will spend with the family not drinking.

The first one was kind of a blur. I just lost my job the week before xmas. A lot of emotions going on. Only one person knew what happened. I kept it a secret. But I was not going to drink.
I took a few bottles of SPelligrino with me. And I made sure that I had a glass in my hand at all times with my soda water on ice. Unless I had a cup of coffee. Every time someone went for beer I was asked if I needed one. NO, I'm okay. Would you like a glass of wine. NO, I'm fine with this. When they started passing around the boilo, I almost got ill from the smell of it. Got me coffee instead.
My brother picked up extra beer for me. I was gifted around six bottles of wine which I promptly gave back. When I was leaving I was asked if I was okay to drive. It was a horrible time for me - inside. But I didn't let it 'ruin' the holiday for anyone else. I just quietly DID NOT DRINK.

Last year of course, they all knew what happened and things were a little different. Tonight, I assume it will again be another few hours watching my family getting loaded for xmas. Mrs will be working and I'll be celebrating xmas eve as we've done since - a long time - without the booze (for me) and driving home with a clear head to be here when my wife arrives home around midnite.

In years past, we would get a room in town so we could either walk or drive drunk to the hotel. Usually walk. Let's get drunk on xmas eve - it's family tradition. One that I've broken.
My new Christmas tradition is to be clear headed and sober. And hopefully this will eventually rub off on the rest of my family.

If you go anywhere, TAKE YOUR OWN DRINKS ALONG. Do not assume they will have a non-alcoholic drink that you like. And make sure you have a glass of something in your hand so you can say I'm fine, I have one. Even if it's just a prop - nurse a club soda for an hour if you have to. But always be prepared to say NO THANKS, I ALREADY HAVE ONE.
Congrats Mr. LB!!! Proud of you!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

lol, weasel.

Well, it's not really true, is it? If you're not getting hit on, I think that's their loss.

...and to be honest, it doesn't happen hardly ever for me anymore - so Imma keep bringing that up (popcorn-guy) because ego.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Just seen the International Space Station pass overhead. Reminded daughter 1 so that grandaughter Chloe could see it. Daughter 2 pleased with her birthday present, so far so good
Old 12-24-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Being gay BIM even if a guy likes what he sees there are guy rules. A third wall not to be broken in general public. I get no positive reinforcement of my apparent hotness. Lol I don't go to gay bars any more so I have not felt like I could be a looker in years. I just accept that I am invisible and move on. I have sobriety to tell me I am good.

Maybe someday after Henry does not need so much attention I will take a good long gay vacation. Of course that can go either really well or really poorly.

K
Old 12-24-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ken, do you have a cast-iron skillet? If so, season lamb chops with S&P. Preheat oven to 450. Heat skillet on stovetop to just beginning to be smokin' hot. Sear chops good and brown on both sides, then transfer the skillet to the oven to complete cooking. Can't give you exact times because I don't know how big or thick your chops are, or how well done you like them. I pull them at about 130 internal temperature, maybe a little less. Let them rest a while, and the internal temp will rise a bit more. This is medium rare.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Ken, do you have a cast-iron skillet? If so, season lamb chops with S&P. Preheat oven to 450. Heat skillet on stovetop to just beginning to be smokin' hot. Sear chops good and brown on both sides, then transfer the skillet to the oven to complete cooking. Can't give you exact times because I don't know how big or thick your chops are, or how well done you like them. I pull them at about 130 internal temperature, maybe a little less. Let them rest a while, and the internal temp will rise a bit more. This is medium rare.
Perfect! That's what I am seeing on line. 3 min either side then 8-10 in oven.

Thank you!

Now for what sauce or herbs go best.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
It has morphed into an amazing art thread!

Hey Sao....mix picked up bone in lamb loin chops. What is the best method to cook them? Broil, sear, pan fry? Never made them but they looked amazing and were only $4.99 a pound. Melina? Our resident chef... Recommendations?

Spent time down in the old port. Shopped at a nice cooking store. Got some lemon infused oil. Some other gratuitous things.

Let me catch up some.

K
I mostly pan fry mine with Rosemary If I gave more time I grill them on a high heat with some Hummus and fennel seeds - you do have to watch them the whole time though that way
Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

That sounds tasty! Might try this one. I have the iron skillet and a thriving rosemary bush outside the front door. Rosemary is so potent that it's often hard to figure out when/how to use it.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
No "supposed to-s," Sao. It's whatever you want to feel/think about it.
Knowing me i would "feel" and more importantly say something really dumb. I need someone to tell the right response before hand so I can rehearse it
Old 12-24-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Sao, there truly is no "right" response to art, or to anything really, for that matter (my opinion). It's subjective. It's not like any sort of ethical or moral thing. It's just art. And it's funny to read critical views of art, where people try to figure it out and make judgments and such... (most) artists hate that. It is what it is. Nothing more, nothing further. It's what it is to YOU, and what it does to YOU. It's kind of a free-for-all. What it is to me might not be what it is to you.

That said, there's a study of art history and an attempt to identify, classify, and make general sense of art's evolution down a timeline. And I guess it would be that art "language" that might be intimidating, but don't confuse the high-falutin' talk with the direct experience of art itself.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I decided against burning sage in my neighbor's condo without telling her. It feels good and safe in there and I don't want to "invite" in any problems that aren't there. I think she's Catholic, too, and I don't want to upset the spiritual apple cart.

So I did a little research yesterday about Christianity and burning sage as a protection practice. Seems there are varying opinions about sage and religious teachings. Definitely the Catholics are not "for" it as far as I could glean from Google - which means it has to be true, right? Apparently prayer is enough, and if anything blessed salt. I don't have any blessed salt. I'll just stay on my side of the street and worry about my little piece of Real Estate. I find I can't really go wrong minding my own business.

One odd thing, though. The heroin guy who died, he died in his bed (in that unit) - - this new woman (who's cat I'm sitting) doesn't sleep in her bedroom: she says she can't get warm in there. Coincidence??? She doesn't know about the death in her bedroom.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
EndGame

Old 12-24-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

While we're on art and Christmas and Catholicism and Protection (Angels) and whatnot:

Archangel Michael and the devil, by Francisque-Joseph Duret, centerpiece of the Fontaine Saint-Michel, Paris.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Thanks for the flash mob view EndGame!

This is my all time favorite and it always moves me. Such a let down after the last note. I want more.

http://youtu.be/87qT5BOl2XU
Old 12-24-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

The flash mobs are the perfect example of mindful living, I think.

Weasel, that ending is triumphant.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Oh, weekenders, such interesting topics to discuss, and it's time for me to go to sleep.

Also you are showering perfectly worded gems of wisdom.

Sometime I will master how to do multiple quotes but for now:

SP - Sao, there truly is no "right" response to art, or to anything really, for that matter (my opinion). It's subjective. It's not like any sort of ethical or moral thing. It's just art. And it's funny to read critical views of art, where people try to figure it out and make judgments and such... (most) artists hate that. It is what it is. Nothing more, nothing further. It's what it is to YOU, and what it does to YOU. It's kind of a free-for-all. What it is to me might not be what it is to you.

That said, there's a study of art history and an attempt to identify, classify, and make general sense of art's evolution down a timeline. And I guess it would be that art "language" that might be intimidating, but don't confuse the high-falutin' talk with the direct experience of art itself.

Perfetto!

Bim - "I don't have any blessed salt. I'll just stay on my side of the street and worry about my little piece of Real Estate. I find I can't really go wrong minding my own business."

Another perfetto!

And my 2 cents about coincidence. There are still can be quite "scientific" explanations of which we don't know yet. And everything which is not discovered automatically fall into religious realm and domains related to it. I am currently doing research at work and while looking for material came across the book "Mindful Universe" . It is not related to my report but the title caught my attention. It is quite profound scientific book on quantum physics with a fair share related to human mind and brain. I read it when I have some spare time. All I can say that when we get to know this area, there apparently will be explanations to previously "otherwodly" phenomena and energy as something more "tangible".

Sao - Great you spotted ISS! I looked when it goes above my place and it's' somewhat 6.30 p.m, just the time I walk from train or bus station. I found it a little uncomfortable to stand there tilting back my head and waiting for something in the sky to appear)

Ok. I've cleaned like 1/25 of my uber messy kitchen, prepared food for tomorrow. Feeling better, hopefully tomorrow's day at work will be non-demanding)

Happy Christmas to all the weekenders!