Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2

Old 12-02-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Hi!

I'm up at 3:30 am again :/
This should straighten out a bit in a few days, the further away I am from last drink the better I can sleep.
Thanks for that post ven.
Tues is my last day of class until mid jan, I'm going to revamp my sober plan and work a little harder over the next 5 weeks on sobriety now that I'll have some extra time, which gives me a good head start.

Because over half the philosophy class failed, the prof added a bonus assignment worth 30 marks, so the students that did well will get 100 % on the exam now if they want to do the bonus assignment ( about 4 hours) which will bring my grade up from B+ to A + and this exam is worth 40 % of the grade, so that was a nice surprise for me a little less stress about the final exam.
I've been looking at classes for my next semester, it's looking like
1.Bioethics ( philosophy) I'll probably end up like soberp with a minor in philosophy or political science.
2. Mass communication ( sociology)
3. Macroeconomics ( economics)
4. Natural Disasters ( geophysics)

That's about it!
We've only had a couple snowstorms up here in Canada so far, its been pretty mild considering I live in the rocky mountains.

Congratulations on 6 months Melina!
Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Good morning all.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yep, I need to shake it up, Brain. Thanks for that. maybe it's time for me to think about dating or something. That's a concept. Maybe not. Don't know.

Also need some Cars in a modern format. I do still have a very fine turntable (hooked up and everything), but I prefer my music portable these days.

Sentimental Todd Rundgren favorite.
http://youtu.be/IjMKz0wCGmw
Old 12-02-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Good afternoon MrB

Alarm went off at 0616 - car to dealership for safety recal, might as well get the oil changed too... oil change light didn't come on yet, but it's almost a year, better now than in the heat of winter...

Venecia - great post on the 'adages of recoveryism'.

Melina, I too was a confused pup around six months. Look up PAWS. There are insights into what is going on in our brains. Don't give up hope, the brain heals as long as we continue to abstain completely. It can take a year OR longer depending. The change is gradual so you don't really notice as you go along. Soon you'll start to recognize your thought patterns have improved as you reflect back over the months. It really will happen. But as soon as you start drinking again, all bets are off.
Even having as much as one drink a week will reset your brain back to where it was before you quit. Never forget that.

Js - MACROeconomics, isn't that kinda like ******? I just read an article on the Asian rice trade and how the local governments thought they would help out the small farmers by controlling the prices, subsidies, tariffs etc... then they stockpiled rice to let it rot... the 'rich' cheated and the poor got poorer...of course they made it worse for the locals and it affected other countries as well...
geophysics? great stuff, enjoy it, you may get hooked

Spending time focusing on your 'recovery plan'? Yes, have a plan, but don't let it consume you.
Have you read AVRT? I did the "crash course". That's all it took for me to say, "I'll never have to drink again and never change my mind." Then instead of "working" on a recovery from alcohol plan, you can work on a 'YOU' plan. I find them two different things, quitting drinking is first, fixing me is second. You can't do the second before the first.

I notice v-o-o----d-o-o gets censored.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Good afternoon MrB

Alarm went off at 0616 - car to dealership for safety recal, might as well get the oil changed too... oil change light didn't come on yet, but it's almost a year, better now than in the heat of winter...

Venecia - great post on the 'adages of recoveryism'.

Melina, I too was a confused pup around six months. Look up PAWS. There are insights into what is going on in our brains. Don't give up hope, the brain heals as long as we continue to abstain completely. It can take a year OR longer depending. The change is gradual so you don't really notice as you go along. Soon you'll start to recognize your thought patterns have improved as you reflect back over the months. It really will happen. But as soon as you start drinking again, all bets are off.
Even having as much as one drink a week will reset your brain back to where it was before you quit. Never forget that.

Js - MACROeconomics, isn't that kinda like ******? I just read an article on the Asian rice trade and how the local governments thought they would help out the small farmers by controlling the prices, subsidies, tariffs etc... then they stockpiled rice to let it rot... the 'rich' cheated and the poor got poorer...of course they made it worse for the locals and it affected other countries as well...
geophysics? great stuff, enjoy it, you may get hooked

Spending time focusing on your 'recovery plan'? Yes, have a plan, but don't let it consume you.
Have you read AVRT? I did the "crash course". That's all it took for me to say, "I'll never have to drink again and never change my mind." Then instead of "working" on a recovery from alcohol plan, you can work on a 'YOU' plan. I find them two different things, quitting drinking is first, fixing me is second. You can't do the second before the first.

I notice v-o-o----d-o-o gets censored.
Oh haha! V o o d o o censored!!

Yes, economics is pretty crazy! The core exploits the periphery constantly
This class focuses more on the whole globally.
The poor always get the short end, unless you're in the nordic countries, its better there.
This will be my first geophysics course! A friend of mine in my soci class suggested it, he said its not too difficult for an arts major, and I need a couple science courses so I think I'll give it a try!

As for my plan, what you suggested is kinda along my line of thinking, I'm focused on not drinking, and creating a me plan
I don't even like drinking to be honest, nor do I find it romantic and I don't have interest in moderating and I enjoy sobriety a lot.
what I need to do is learn to not fall back on it when I get upset or overwhelmed, I think a large part of my problem is that I need to learn other ways of dealing with things.
So I agree that a stronger ME plan is in order here xoxo
Old 12-02-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Such thought provoking posts so far today.

I'm sitting in the dark, watching the snow fall past the street lights.

Marty, did you happen to go see the Cars in concert circa 1982 or so? Maybe we went to the same concert together again?
Old 12-02-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

No - missed that one. I wasn't in Chicago yet - I was in school in Milwaukee - making frequent visits to Chicago in preparation for moving there - a couple of my Chicago friends went, but I was working or something. Would have loved to go.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Beakfast is served! Sitting in the dealership and they just brought inn a case of soft pretzels from Philly pretzel factory. 100 soft pretzels, but no mustard...
today show is on... wish I change it to cartoons... the news is depressing, or rather, sad. Glad I'm not in Chicago. .. crazy

Happy Hump Day
Old 12-02-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Lots of rain coming to the pnw. Bim and Olive better pick up some wllies.
and I can't figure out how to get off this page
Old 12-02-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

So Monday night the Browns line up to kick a game-winning field goal only to have it blocked...and run back for a game-losing TD.

Tuesday night the Cavaliers lose to the (not very good) Washington Wizards.

Not a great week for Cleveland sports teams so far.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Thank you Venecia!!!

All healing is essentially a release from fear. In our case recovering from drinking and drugs is learning not to fear our own thoughts. Holding on to fear mongering meaningless statements like the ones we hear all too often just fan the fear that our thoughts will eventually come and get us.

That just a just not true.

The less I fear my own thoughts and choose to think over them the less I also fear life and sobriety.

Ken
Hats off to Venecia and Ken for being so insightful
Old 12-02-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Js - MACROeconomics, isn't that kinda like ******?

Best wishes Jen for your sobriety and studying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20151202_132724.jpg (31.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-02-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone!
brrrr....it's cold out here today. I think our dog walk will be short and I need to get to work early anyway.
Jsbodhi. ...it's great that you get a break from school and all the stress that goes with it. It's good timing for you to make your ME plan. Your classes sound like they will NE stimulating and interesting.
Ok...time for more coffee. ..see you all later.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Venecia, thanks for your great post! I think it was #380 in this thread. You rock!

I'm not trying to pretend I didn't ever drink, or have a false sense of security. I think of my past often. And it's ok. There's a lot I can't remember. I was blackout drunk or severely hungover constantly. Daily. I know I damaged my brain. I can feel it. I have trouble with memory. I have to write notes when I go into the other room. The cooks find me in the walk in coolers constantly and I have no idea why I'm there. But I know it won't get worse, and can only get better. It has gotten a little better.

I enjoy recovery and I'll stay here exploring forever. Bc recovery is the self care I always dreamed of and never knew how to do.

I have really enjoyed the 'click' of learning to integrate myself and I want more!

I know this is just beginning and I love it. I'm firm on not drinking. Its going to be a beautiful life.

I sent my best friend the screenshot of my sobriety calendar today. She wrote back, 'Well done, my friend. I bet you feel amazing. I'm very, very proud of you and so excited to see what you do with this sober life. You were a force to be reckoned with before... I can only imagine what you're going to accomplish in years to come. Love you.'

Feels good, people, feels real good!
What a beautiful post, Melina. This is what it is all about. I look forward to a modicum of what I see in you and others here. For me too "recovery is the self care I always dreamed of and never knew how to do. "
Old 12-02-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Morning miscreants
Old 12-02-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Plenty of wellies in this house, I am a fan of walking in the rain.

I forgot to tell you guys....
I finally made the dreaded appointment for a routine colonoscopy. Coming up on Friday. Yay me.
Not too worried about the procedure itself, I am more concerned that I am not allowed any solid food at all tomorrow.

I am hoping the silver lining is a couple of pounds lost.

Happy Camel Day!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Olive - it's not fun, but you'll be ok. The prep is by far the worst part. Trust me - once you start drinking that stuff you won't want to eat anyway. Just get it over with. You can reward yourself with something wonderful to eat when it's over!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

That's right mld...it's the preparation. ..ugh. they should find another way.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

I had one after I got out of rehab, years ago. I vaguely remember it. Apparently my alcoholism did a number on my insides. Who knew?!

I don't start drinking the prep until 6pm tomorrow, though. That is a whole day at work with no snacks.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Wow...so many great posts since I logged off last night. LB, Melina, Venecia, Ken...I got loaded up on sober sunlight just now with me coffee ,

So good to see you ALL this morning.