Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2

Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

A blistering 9 F Degrees outside right now in absolutely-Cloudless Skies. It's so cold, even the Dog is undergoing Shrinkage. And, he's got nothing intact to shrink. 5 F predicted for tonight. However, full Sun predicted for Days forward. Up here, that's huge, since all it takes to feel OK is a dark Jacket to soak up Solar.

Given what they put up with respectively, and soldier on through with great aplomb while Sober, I thought this Clip of 103 year-old Voila Smith - 'The Fastest Female Drummer In The World' - would provide a good Tribute to Gal Power in honor of Ruby & Melina. The veritable Duchesses Of Discipline on their Anniversaries. Real inspirations.

Grounding breaking Musicianship back in ~1939. Sorta the Surf Music 'Wipeout' Drum Solo of it's time...

- 'Snake Charmer' ~ Viola Smith w/Frances Carroll & The Coquettes -
Old 12-01-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 years, Brian (Brain)
You're a great inspiration
Let's celebrate with some deep-fried yellow perch filet?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 years Ruby!
Congratulations on 6 months Melina!
Ruby, my thoughts and prayers are with your Dad today for a successful procedure.
Lazy morning here since I don't have to be to work til later. Drinking coffee and gearing up for a morning walk with the dogs.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Congratulations on 2 years, Brian (Brain)
You're a great inspiration
Let's celebrate with some deep-fried yellow perch filet?
thanks! However, today is Ruby's day - I'm at the end of the month.
Fried perch does sound mighty good though

The power went out last night as I was watching a movie. Wife said she heard a 'boom' - one followed by another. Too bad the guys had to work outside in the dark rain... but these things usually happen in the rain.
Good thing I have flashlights stashed everywhere. It was definitely dark.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

At work. I'm so glad you guys, girls are all here. Ruby's little cocoon to come to. Thoughts of drinking on today of all days. And then realized I hadn't eaten and I'm tired. Chocolate frosted donut hit the spot.

Dad taken at 7:30 for surgery. Mom said she'd keep me posted.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Had a handful of almonds and a tall glass of water for breakfast. I'll eat when I'm hungry later.

Back on cleaning house before xmas decorating. If there wasn't a bunch of 'stuff' stored everywhere this would be done already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dohdonuts.jpg (11.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ruby!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Good luck decorating, Brain. All my Christmas stuff is in my attic. My daughter keeps asking to bring it out but I'm not ready.

My mom texted that the device is in place, dad is off heart/lung machine and they are starting to close and monitor him for bleeding. He's made it through the first part.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Thx for update, Ruby. Thinking of you and your family.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Hey all!

Ken, do you want to touch on the changes you mentioned in the last year? I'm very intrigued, I always want to know more about how people are getting through, it's very helpful!

Soberwolf, what are you studying/researching? I like the links you post to articles. I hope it's some good addiction stuff, I always enjoy reading your links.

I loved waking up and reading the chunk of posts since I went to bed- so much support for Ruby and Dad, I super heart us! Good to hear the first part of surgery is done.

I loved Olive's post saying Ruby Twosday! That is so cool!

So you are queen for the day here Ruby, I love it! I will be your handmaiden

When I get two years, you will have three and a half!!

I feel weird about six months, I feel like it should be 6 years with the amount of work I've done! My ego wants more time. But also in a way I just simply crave more and more distance from the beast. I know in some recovery circles they say you only have this day.. And the farther you are away from a drink, the closer you are to a drink.

I get why they say all that but I'll tell you what I'm feeling- the more time and space I put between me and my last drink, the better. Get it the eff away from me, not even in the rear view mirror do I want to see it.

I want to get away from what that life was like. It was hard to be me bc I made it that way and hung on to that sob story for every drink I could even half justify. I won't forget what it was like with time, I won't romanticize to the point of going to a store.

I'm thoroughly put in my sober place with the knowledge of things I could have been doing which I now am excited/scared/readyish to do. So it's time to go do them. Eeeeep!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Melina...what a wonderful post. Thank you.
Ken...when/if you are comfortable sharing more, I second Melina. Would love to hear more about you/from you.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Great news Ruby!

I'm cold and can't get warm no matter how many layers I put on ugh and I've got the heater on 75! And it's only 46 outside so not even that cold. I lived up north for a year and almost froze to death! Don't know how you northerners stand it.

Trying to decide if I should do outside lights this year. It's kind of a neighborhood tradition...everyone does their yard up big. Just one more expense since I'll have to hire someone. Bah humbug.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Great post Melina! No looking back! Sometimes I find myself thinking about my former life....not romanticizing it, more loathing myself for the things I did and how wretched I acted. That's not good either. So, no looking back. Period.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good news, Ruby.

I spent some pointless and uncomfortable time yesterday dwelling on the past. I hate it when I do that. It just sometimes comes up. Wish I could figure out a way to move beyond the self-loathing of those days. I guess it will just take time. Still in a bit of a funk today, but getting some stuff done around my very disorganized and neglected house should help. Is helping.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
I'm cold and can't get warm no matter how many layers I put on ugh and I've got the heater on 75! And it's only 46 outside so not even that cold. I lived up north for a year and almost froze to death! Don't know how you northerners stand it.
You'd be warmer if you turn down your heat to 65 and walk around in a sweater. Your body thinks it 75 out and it's trying to cool itself off.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Hey all!

I feel weird about six months, I feel like it should be 6 years with the amount of work I've done! My ego wants more time. But also in a way I just simply crave more and more distance from the beast. I know in some recovery circles they say you only have this day.. And the farther you are away from a drink, the closer you are to a drink.

I get why they say all that but I'll tell you what I'm feeling- the more time and space I put between me and my last drink, the better. Get it the eff away from me, not even in the rear view mirror do I want to see it.

I want to get away from what that life was like. It was hard to be me bc I made it that way and hung on to that sob story for every drink I could even half justify. I won't forget what it was like with time, I won't romanticize to the point of going to a store.

I'm thoroughly put in my sober place with the knowledge of things I could have been doing which I now am excited/scared/readyish to do. So it's time to go do them. Eeeeep!
Congratulations on getting 6 months Melina. It is a HUGE accomplishment. And don't let anyone tell you the further away from a drink you are, the closer you are. Nonsense.

The further away from drinking I am it has become the norm for me.
Around a year I still thought about drinking once in a while - silly AV.
Now, I can be around bottles and drinkers and I barely notice it.
Just never think you don't have to be careful.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

$4.98 for one of those rotisserie chickens at wally-world. Money well spent.
Except I put too much water in when I cooked the rice. One of these days I'll actually measure it instead of eyeballing it in the dark... Steamed brussels sprouts and carrots.
And finally after almost a month I found a head of cauliflower! The guy at my regular store told me they can't get it? Lunch made for the queen, maybe I'll wake her up soon... she leaves in an hour.

Marylin Manson meets Lady Gaga?

Glad to hear things went well for Papa Ruby.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Melina, 6 months is wonderful. Something to feel very proud of. Any time we spend sober is to be celebrated

Ruby, glad to hear it. xoxo.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending good vibes to your dad Ruby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20151201_190525.jpg (31.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Melina referred to Da Rube_ster as 'Queen For The Day'. And, rightly so. That caused this ancient Game Show to pop into my Head as we all pump mellifluous, positive Vibes her way.

'Queen For A Day' had a huge TV following back in the '50s and '60s when I remember watching it out of El Lay as a Wee Bastid. This 1960 Film Clip is a real History/Culture Lesson. Check out what the Contestants wish for, and the 'Applause-O-Meter' used to pick a Winner. Back when a Washing Machine was a serious, upscale luxury in Suburbia. Preceding this Vote for a Winner, each Contestant had been interviewed, and pleaded their Case to the Audience.

- 'Queen For A Day' - Run Time -> 5:43 -

Lunch was Sushi Rolls: 1 Shrimp & 1 Fake Crab. The Secret Ingredient was leftover, Homemade Cranberries; as seen on the prior Miscreant Thread. The Rice cooled and clumped up nicely outside at 27 F Degrees. To the Dog Park now...

Though Lyrics refer to 'The King', we can mentally change them to 'The Queens': Ruby & Melina instead of B.B. & Eric. There's even a huge Cadillac; right out of that Johnny Cash Vid put up yesterday. A John Hiatt Song about Elvis...

- 'Riding With The King' ~ B.B. King & Eric Clapton -