Notices

Check yourself weekender October 16

Old 10-18-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Great work K. May copy you on that as my little one wants a scary pumpkin this year. I give her a choice on silly or scary.

I really like the pics you post BigS. Any idea what crop is in that field?
Old 10-18-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Yeah...the cape was unusual forTarget.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Happy Belated Birthdays! Just now catching up and reading how everyone is doing.....it's so cool to be able to do this and see all the different ways that people stay sober throughout the weekend! The furnace at my parent's house officially died and I'm trying to run the gas fireplace although off for now for the overnight; I will turn back on in the morning before I go to work. I will resort to begging for someone to come and take a look at the furnace and to fix it. Because I'm not drunk, this whole challenge is making my anxiety triggers really squirrely though. Ah well....could be worse.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

LB and Mark - yeah, sustenance farming for sure. Likely a mix of maize, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, lettuce, radishes, etc. Those are most common on small farms in this area. Most from this field (and others like it in the area) is sold to the local market down the street where I buy my produce.

Just to the right of that is a large coffee finca. Coffee is the main cash crop up here, so you will see huge tracts of land devoted to cafe, but it's not as obvious. Coffee trees need shade, so they plant a specific type of tree (with a shallow root system as to not disturb the coffee plants) next to the coffee that have a high canopy. So, what looks like a rather organized forest is often a farm. 5,000-6,000 feet is where the truly great coffees are grown, the beans take longer to mature which gives them a more complex flavor. The altitude and volcanic soil provide great drainage and the climate averaging 60-75F year-round with decent rain, low humidity and lots of sunshine mixed with cool shade means less stress on the coffee tree. There are only a few places in the world where all of these factors come together, Guatemala is one of them and is well known for fine coffees. Other places in the "coffee belt" (30 degrees north and south of the equator) are places like Kenya, Indonesia, Ethiopia, etc.

And, when a coffee tree has reached it's limit of a few seasons, new trees are planted in it's place, and the branches and trunks are used for firewood. I often burn coffee tree wood in my fireplace, as it's the most widely available wood and comes cheap.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It's the dealing with adversities that are inspiring.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

That's a climate that appeals to me. I think I remember seeing coffee trees on the ride from San Jose down to the coast in Costa Rica. I'm thinking you've got great produce all year long there. Healthy living.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great pumpkin, Ken! Can't remember who said they did a pumpkin with a drill - I've done that too. Works great and really fun.not sure we will do pumpkins this year. My son seems to be disinterested. He still wants to go trick-or-treating, though. And have his annual party. 6 teenage boys. Yikes. The ex gets party duty this year. I'm working that night.

That's a gorgeous picture, Big S. I really want to do some traveling in Central America. Your pictures inspire me.

Tetra - try not to be too nervous about your interview. You KNOW you're qualified. Just try to be confident and focus on making sure they know YOU KNOW you can do the job.

Ugh. Cubs not doing so well so far in the NLCS. The packers won today, though, making them 6-0 on the season. It was an ugly game.

I'm beat. Bed will feel good tonight. Really pushed it on the hike this morning. Goodnight, folks.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
That's a climate that appeals to me. I think I remember seeing coffee trees on the ride from San Jose down to the coast in Costa Rica. I'm thinking you've got great produce all year long there. Healthy living.
You're right, there's a year-round growing season with a nice variety of stuff that seems to peak at different times. Being a Minnesota native and Chicagoan for many years, I certainly have been enjoying life here for 1.5 years now. I do like Costa Rica as well, very similar climate and I go there often. Thinking about booking my x-mas trip there soon! Of course, the family in Minnesota is also eager for me to see them for the holidays, so I am having some internal guilt about the issue.

Kinda depressed today for some reason, have felt kind of off-the-mark this weekend, mood-wise. Thanks to everyone and their bright stories, it's cheering me up! (except for MLD mentioning the Packers being 6-0, yuck! )
Old 10-18-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Big S, you'd mentioned once giving some thought to opening a sober B and B in Guatemala. Still on your mind?

The inevitability of winter is growing here in Minnesota. Thoughts of warm places seem to grow commensurately.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

I had to practice my breathing tonight. First I was worried sick until the wife got home. I called her after 8 and I heard the phone ringing in the kitchen.
Then I went to wally world, helped out a couple gals choosing jumper cables, but when I got to checkout..
First line wasn't making progress because they were training someone. Found the "speedy" line and same thing. It was like a standoff. Felt myself getting all ired up - you don't train people in the express check out, it's against my rules. But then thought to myself, WHY? Took a few deep breaths and relaxed. What's another ten minutes out of my life when I wasted so much of it already.

Apparently ired ain't a word.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

say goodnight Olive.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through the checkout ok, LBrain.

I had panic attacks in checkout lines back in the day. Not fun.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Another sober weekend comes to an end. Looking forward to waking up alert and ready to start the week tomorrow. Thanks for all the entertaining posts this weekend everyone! Sweet dreams
Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Goodnight everyone -
Tetra-good luck on your interview tomorrow. Keep us posted.
This weekend went way too fast -but they always seem to.
see you all tomorrow -
Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Olive.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Big S, you'd mentioned once giving some thought to opening a sober B and B in Guatemala. Still on your mind?

The inevitability of winter is growing here in Minnesota. Thoughts of warm places seem to grow commensurately.
Thanks for mentioning it! Honestly, I toyed with it upon arrival, bought a web domain (a cheap one) and started a website for sober travel down here, etc. Didn't ever finish the job, as it's quite tricky! I started thinking about pricing, etc, and then realized I didn't even own the place yet. But, I did start it...and thus, I do have something to build on. A long-term project to achieve.

A couple of roadblocks, Venecia, that I've come across after thinking it through:

1. I just want to enable a quality experience for sober travelers and backpackers. Are there really enough people traveling and SPECIFICALLY avoiding alcohol? It's a niche market alrighty. But perhaps too niche? I'm not trying to get rich, but I would like to be able to keep the lights on. I think I'd have to keep my day job and do it as more of a "hobby" for a while and then push all in if things start working out.

2. As I said, I'd like to enable an alcohol-free safe haven for travelers and explorers. What I do NOT want is to become a rehab facility. What if people started showing up with 3 days sober under their belt? What would I do then? Help them? I am not sure I want to be running a clinic...but then again, putting up strict "qualifications" for guests would reek of exclusivity IMO.

Saving is tough. The fun part is dreaming up the details. Will I lay ground on a peaceful retreat on a mountain lake with a volcano view? A jungle hut amidst the forest wildlife and ancient pyramids? A beach chalet on the Pacific near the dolphin and whale watching routes? Or a colonial property in the heart of the historic Spanish ruins? With so many moving parts, it will be tricky to find the right solution. Of course, these are all just thoughts - none of it's real right now! Just something I bounce off the brain from time to time.

Right now I'm just trying to remain solvent living here in Latin America and plan to continue as long as I can do so. That's an achievable goal and I continue to do my best as I work on that.

Thanks for bringing that up, though, it's so fun to think about! My next major exploration trip here will be to the Caribbean part of Guatemala on Thanksgiving. I have not been up that way and am excited to scope out some new areas.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Fun day, tough night. Being a parent is hard. There is nowhere to be alone when you need to cool down when your kid is freaking out. Like tonight when he had a screaming fit bc he couldn't decide if he truly wanted a bandaid on the little scratch on his finger. A total meltdown.

However, I wouldn't trade it for truly living alone. And I wouldn't dream of drinking over it.

I just wanted a ten minute time out for myself.

I feel better already realizing my response to stress was to want to find a little silence to balance my breathing and not escalate little guy's tantrum.

141 days ago I would have had my face in a bottle of white wine with my Jameson chaser. I really wanted to change but I thought I was wired to self destruct.

I'll hug the little guy extra mushy in the morning, he's teaching me a lot.

Goodnight, all!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone,

Well Monday is here already hey ho - it feels like I am on a treadmill

I have had some Guatemalan coffee recently, it's on sale in a few places

Good luck today Tetra
Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Morning all ,
Gah bah! monday , very slow this morning , still dark outside at 7am .

This is the time of year when i want to be like a bear and go sleep in my man cave , unnatural world we live in forcing ourselves into action with electric light and alarm clocks .

Take care y'all ,
m
Old 10-18-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning