Check yourself weekender October 16

Old 10-18-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy birthday TurningLeaf
Old 10-18-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Worked a 13 hour day yesterday. Yelling at men in a kitchen for 13 hours is tough work haha, we are so sick of each other. We're doing a new menu rollout this week and I've been having them practice the new dishes.

Usually I'm relaxed with them bc I know they know how to cook, but when it's new dishes I am very picky so that they understand how to properly prep and cook the dishes to my standards. It's very important to get it right from the beginning so we practice and practice before we go live, and I'm standing there over their shoulders and we drive each other crazy!

But we will hug it out this week as I ease back. They are doing a really good job and I appreciate that and I tell them that often.

Except for the guy who took it upon himself to cut the whole case of chanterelles into medium dice. You don't do that with $75 a pound mushrooms. You. Don't. Do. That. You keep them almost whole, you want to SHOW that it's a chanterelle, you want to keep a lot of cooking surface to develop a good sear, etc etc, we weren't buddies after that all day.

Other than that not much is going on.

I think my bf has convinced me to join a gym. I didn't want to join this $50 a month gym and he said 'your body and health deserves that and a lot more'. Well since you put it that way... He wants us to work out together. Can't hurt to try, this could be a lot of fun and help me quit smoking.

I'm off today, me and my son are going to eat and enjoy this beautiful fall weather.

See you later!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday to TurningLeaf
Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
saoutchik

As ever I have spent the day working on the Lancia.

Bad luck in the rugby Behan and Tetra

I have seen some pumpkin carving kits for sale, do I need one? They recommend a serrated knife which I have. Maybe I will do a template as that seems to be recommended too

I use pressure washer on the rubbish tiles I have in the shower. Dirt magnets they are
Old 10-18-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Tetra and TurningLeaf.

In my drunken perspective I may have thought sobriety would not be satisfying. But back when I was out and about partying in the dark night clubs I also thought I and the others looked pretty good as the evenings progressed.....then they turned the lights on! Yikes....

I like being sober. My life does have some predictability, but it was darn well more predictable when I drank. If I made a list I think we'd all relate. I have more potential now and am going to make the most of it.

Great job on the gym plan as something you and your bf can do together Melina. My wife has zero interest in that kind of thing....just not for her I guess. I love it.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy birthday TurningLeaf
Old 10-18-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

cut the whole case of chanterelles into medium dice... OUCH!

hang in there Melina. Most of us made mistakes in the past. Just don't drink over it eh? Maybe a learning for chef - tell them first... sorry

I'm half way done with the washing - had to take a time out for biology.
Note to self: You have rubber boots. Use them. So I stripped in the garage and my walmart cheap leather boots are drying as are my cold toes right now. Warm up for a minute or two then new set of clothes and boots.

I was thinking about how I did this in the past. 2 gallons of gas for the washer and 2 quarts of beer for moi. Now it's a hot coffee and keep going unless biology calls.

okay - break over, warm socks, RUBBER boots and ratty jeans...

later...
Old 10-18-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Sober Enders!!!
I don't mean to be the contrary one, but I love Sundays. My favorite day. Second only to gray and drippy days.
You can imagine my delight for this day!!!

Show last night was amazing! It was all Gershwin. Some things I haven't ever heard before, like the Cuban Overture. That is a fine piece! And of course, Rhapsody in Blue. Always, always sends shivers through me when seen live.

Went on the Great Wheel between dinner and the show. It was only after I was locked in the gondola that it occurred to me that I am distinctly afraid of heights. I am glad it was dark. Lots of deep breaths and by the third go round I was able to enjoy the lights of the city and ferry boats.

A big happy birthday to all those celebrating this weekend!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

It came out ok but won't get the full effect until later when it's dark.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Love it, Weasel!!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A biology break - Thanks LB I am going to be using that
Old 10-18-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Wow looks great Ken!

See Sao.....you don't need to buy a carving kit! We always drew our design on the pumpkins with magic marker as a template and used a serrated knife like Ken did.
The worst part is cleaning out the pumpkins...slimy and messy.

Walk to the creek revealed nothing new. Listening to woodpecker go to town on a hollow tree. I need to go return some stuff to Kohls but that requires putting makeup on and real clothes! Ugh!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Brynn - I thought so.

I was reading up on the art of pumpkin carving, it needs to be big and unblemished apparently. I wanted to do a smaller one but as a beginner I better learn my trade so I will be buying a big one next week
Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

DONE! letting machine cool down, then winterize it...

weasel that jacko looks like I used to look sometimes when I was drinking

I think last year I used a cordless drill and made round holes for the features of a punkin... I got one of those kits many years ago,,, it's still in a ziplock bag - ten years old at least. they work great if you are going to go into detailed 'fancy' patterns - smaller saws for the fine cuts... the best part of those kits is the scooper... worth the 5.99 just for that if you are doing more than one, plus you can 'shave' the wall thickness to make it even and easier to carve. But the old serving spoon and butcher knife works just a gooder. Just make sure you wear short sleeves when digging out the muck - it dries like cement.

first time I ever used the washer when it was cold out... fingers and toes are warming up... rubber boots - brilliant idea... neighbors on both sides are cutting grass - weekday chore this week... it did reach freezing here last night, note to self - disconnect and drain hose... in the garage too, a few years back it froze and broke, not cool.

weasel - good think you made a sketch first - exact match if I do say so myself.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Ken, it is awesome!!! Great job I'm showing the hubby right now.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thanks team!

Yeah LB I drew it out. I wanted the teeth to look like fire. The eyes to have an err to them. Either way I had fun. I cannot wait until dark to see it all spooky!

Hey Sao... yes start out on a big canvas. Not easy to make curved cuts on a small pumpkin.

Roast the seeds later!

Finally roasting the carrots and beets from yesterday.

Relaxing evening ahead.

Hey Snowdawg... how are ya doing?

Hope the birthday parties are fun today!
Old 10-18-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Tetra I just had a bowl of strawberry ice cream with walnuts and chocolate powder for your birthday.
Chile is on the stove warming up. That baguette that turned into a brick came back to life after 20 seconds in the microwave... sorta...

Olive, I remember standing in line for the wheel. Or waiting for it to 'open'.
We ended up just taking the harbor cruise then couldn't justify paying the price for a ride on the wheel - If I remember correctly it was pricey for a 'ferris wheel' ride. If that's what you're talkin 'bout.
Was that you who pulled the alarm at the panther's hotel this morning? naughty-naughty

We just had a cool rain shower. Sun and blue sky all around and this big dark cloud just hung out and sprinkled down rain for about fifteen minutes. I was outside enjoying it - didn't see a rainbow tho...

Trach, haven't fished since summer. But now that water is cooler it won't harm the fish to play catch with them. Deer first, except Sunday's are for fishing now. And house work and yard work and... not allowed to hunt on Sunday here. I'm okay with that.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Just catching up on the rugby highlights, semi finalists all from the southern hemisphere. Europeans need to play catch up

Bit irritated that a 230lb man is called a monster by one of the commentators. We can't all be Fred Astaire
Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

a 230 pound man in the NFL would be considered average, linemen push 300, QB's under 200 are too small...
Old 10-18-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Olive......
Was that you who pulled the alarm at the panther's hotel this morning? naughty-naughty.
You may very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.