Notices

Check yourself weekender October 16

Old 10-15-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Smile Check yourself weekender October 16

Knowing the bunch that gathers here each weekend a kickoff title like that can cause a stir. But for real. Check yourself.

Reading here as much as I do I learned that we drink for different yet similar reasons. Some because they scrutinize themselves so much it's unbearable so they drink. Others cause they go unchecked and off the rails so they drink.

This last few weeks I did not check myself and so I slowly drifted. Work got intense. I got lonely. I did not see where I was going cause I didn't want to check in. Now while I caught it I wanted to ask the weekender team to perhaps do the same. Check in. Where are you really at? What are we doing that we know leads to no good? Are we placing relapse building blocks and pretending they are not there?

Mecanix said something to me in a note of encouragement… “None of this is the fault of being sober”.

That's stopped me and made me feel so much better for checking in and seeing what was what.

Can you hear it? It's calling! *Ring Ring* the sober bells of freedom!

Welcome to your sober weekend!

Ken

Old 10-15-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on!

I had to think about it, but I don't know that I'm doing anything that leads to no good, but I'm not doing enough proactively to lead to positive change in some areas. I guess it is the same thing really.

At any rate you got me thinking. But for now it's gym time.

Wishing everyone the best day.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shotgun

I'm in.
Thanks for another great thread. I love the weekend threads.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Mark!!!

I love seeing you here Tetra!!! You are part of the family!

Dang it if that cold won't go away. I will ignore the scratchy throat and tight chest and press on.

Have a big weekend of turning over the house and car to winter. Swap out summer for winter clothes. Put the rubber mats in the car and get the shovel in the trunk.

Pumpkin carving and food also!

Thanks for joining me!!!!!! Let's have some fun!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no meetings until 3:30 this afternoon. I am moving slllllooooooowwwwwwwwww......... . .
Old 10-15-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to spend my day in a basement purging old files for the shredders....I put it off all summer cuz it was hot down there. Time to pony up.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Window seat!!

Not easy but it's worth it. Plan to work a lil this weekend got an important mission coming up.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome ast... Sounds secretive! Mission! Lol

Glad you joined. Let us know how you are doing!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm on the bus!

Health screening at the university at 8:15 (I signed up for a study) and then a couple of hours before I have to leave for my interview. I got a good solid 8 hours of sleep, amazingly enough.

Welcome, Ast. This is a good place to be on the weekend!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh and it's my grand daughter's first birthday today! Happy birthday, Nugget!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in!! This is the earliest I've been in on the bus! Might have actually grabbed a seat! No big plans for the weekend. It's been a long time since I've not had anything to do for a weekend so I am taking full advantage! Maybe a long bike ride or walk. Just quality family time.

Have a great sober weekend everyone!
Thanks for the thread, Weasel.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in! Good topic too. Just this morning I was out for a run and I started thinking about hosting a big Christmas party at my house. I was thinking of whether or not I'd need to rent some sort of tent and heater for outside (my house is very small), what I'd put on the music playlist, what food I'd serve, what alcohol I would provide (….!!!!!!!warningwarningwarning!!!!….), whether or not I could financially afford a party and then finally it dawned on me that I needed to really think about whether or not my sobriety could afford a party.
I have made my home alcohol free as a safe haven for myself. I have avoided entertaining at my house for quite a while to be sure no one comes to dinner with a bottle of wine or I feel pressured to serve wine. I have missed it, a lot. I don't have a lot of money but the thing I most enjoy spending my money and time on is cooking and hosting dinners and parties at my house. I started to get ahead of myself on this run thinking that a party might be nice at by Christmas I'd have a decent chunk of time under my belt. But I definitely don't feel ready NOW. I know preparing, planning, etc- although enjoyable, is always stressful for me too. Then I would have to deal with the nerves the day of the party and greeting everyone. If the party was tonight I wouldn't feel 100% confident going in that I would remain true to my sobriety. Therefore it is ridiculous to plan a party now for a few months out. I may very well be ready to host something like that come December. But I may not. And that is ok. But I shouldn't set myself up for failure now by planning something that I am not currently ready for and have no way of knowing if I would be ready for it then.
Thanks to your thought provoking post above I think I will wipe the party plan off the table. Maybe I'll have a big bash in 2016
Old 10-15-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Oh and it's my grand daughter's first birthday today! Happy birthday, Nugget!!!
Happy birthday to your grand daughter!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
. Put the rubber mats in the car and get the shovel in the trunk.

And Della Bo Bella has some shredding to do in the basement?!?

(Climbing aboard!!!)
Old 10-15-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm in too!!! Looking forward to the weekend since we are having a children's party at our farm. My daughter is excited. People will bring booze and they will be hung over the next day. I will wake up feeling great. What a gift! I have a crazy day at work today. I'm supposed to be in 2 places at once and that used to cause me lots of stress. Now I realize that it's simply IMPOSSIBLE so I roll with the punches. I feel great about my sobriety today and I'm riding this wave!

Happy weekend everyone!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Thank you Weasel for getting us started. Great topic this week and timely, too. I'm setting myself up by not taking care of myself and not doing the things that have been working for me. Skipping meetings. Posting as much on here. Paying too much attention to other people's issues and not on my own.

Time to refocus.

MLD, I'm sending good thoughts and support your way for your interview this afternoon. And happy birthday to your Nugget. Awesome!

Mera, good catch on your part. It might be too much too soon to entertain. There's always next year. But great to start thinking about dealing with holidays and making plans to stay sober.

Time to scramble. Congrats Mark on shotgun. Weas, I hope you finally kick the cold
Old 10-15-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey weekenders! Great topic, Weasel.
My schedule has been exceptionally busy so I'm planning some down time for myself this weekend. I've got a cold or allergies and know that Ill feel better faster if I make a big pot of soup, curl up on the couch, and watch a bunch of old Halloween movies.
Counting down!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Old 10-15-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in!