Notices

Back again after 9 months

Old 10-08-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling good on day 3, sydney :-)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Sydneyman. Welcome to SR. 2 days down and on the 3rd is great. These days are horrible. You're doing good. Hang in there. Check in with SR often. You can do it.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3
Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Here's another really good link, sydneyman:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Very glad that you are back with us.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My year and your 9 months still exist. We have learnt we are better and happier without it. I have made a decision, it's my decision, and my decision alone, to be sober and happy again. We have the same new birthday, see you in a year on here!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Very very irritable and short tempered at home after work last night. After dinner felt much better.. Slept much better but still a restless night sleep, tossing and turning but not as much as on night 1.
Ok day 4 is here, the dreaded Friday night, we usually go and see a dear friend after work on Fridays = wines perhaps a joint and then coming home and continuing pretty much with this until Sunday night. I told my partner in a snap last night to call him and tell him we are NOT coming this Friday. I need to get my **** together its way too early to be so close to temptation. I told my partner to tell him that I am not drinking and that's the reason.
I am going to make it this weekend, I have set my head around it..I will check here and report and read SR
Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very wise decision, sydneyman; good job.

As with any important in our lives, we have to give our chance of sobriety all we've got.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 7,, so I made it past the weekend, and I am alive, and why shouldn't I. Its been hard/good/sad... a bag of mixed emotions over the weekend...I knew the weekend was going to be a test as its when I binge the most. However, this weekend was so productive, the first weekend we did not argue , got so productive around the house gardening and setting everything ready for summer (I am in Australia) , went for a walk, went to dentist and actually did not have to cancel the appointment due to booze, took our cat to the vet, grocery shopping etc....in other word leading a pretty normal life, all that was out of the equation all weekend was Alcohol. It was scary being this "normal". Did I miss alcohol yes I did, Saturday was the hardest. But I said to myself I have a choice of 2 roads. The one that leads down a hill or one that lead up the hill. I want to go up, I want to do this for so many reasons but mainly for my health. If I would have picked up that wine glass/box I would have done so by having made excuses to drink. There are no excuses to drink. I have a disease and to keep that disease away I simply can not drink. It is like looking at alcohol like a bottle of bleach. It can kill you.
I am now 50 and started drinking in my teens so been a drinker for 30 years. It has been such a big party of my life. It is going to be a long and bumpy road with a lot of twists along the way to recovery. I have to learn to distress without alcohol and to use alcohol as the answer when things get tough in life. My mantra is I have 2 choices and I am the only one who can decide which is the right choice.
This morning I will walk into the office with clear eyes and a smile on my face. I wont be the same sweaty, shaky and anxious person. Actually I am going to work on a Monday, that's pretty amazing in itself!!!
Hang in there all we can do this.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you sydneyman

D
Old 10-11-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Very uplifting post, sydneyman.

Glad to hear that the weekend went so well for you.

Stick with sobriety and recovery and watch the benefits unfold!!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support. SR should get a Nobel price!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Somehow I missed your return, sydneyman.

I'm so glad you found your way back to us. You are never alone in this. I admire your determination. Your anxiety will lessen and you'll be free.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yes Hevyn,, I am here again,, its a good place ��
Old 10-11-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Received a nice text from my partner at work just now thanking me for the good weekend that I have him.. That was nice .. Alcohol doesnt only screw you up, it screws up everything around you..
Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Great job making it through the weekend!! I'm new to SR but not to trying and failing at moderation a million times....so I gave up the insanity for sobriety. Sending best wishes your way for this week. ☺
Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 9 has come. I wake up fresh after very deep REM sleeps. When we drink and go to sleep we miss out on this sleep cycle due to alcohol in the brain. This is the reason I always woke up half a zombie even after a 9 hour "sleep".
I am calmer, my heart rate has dropped, I don't have that pounding heart rate any longer. I am sure my blood pressure is down as well and don't stress as much as I did before. All in all I am more positive. I know this is only day 9 but gosh if this is day 9 I am only looking forward to double digit days.
It is Wednesday morning here in OZ and only 2 sleeps to Friday and the weekend. This time around the weekend is not as scary as the first time around. I know I don't need a drink to cope over the weekend. I had conditioned and programmed myself to get totally wasted from 5pm Friday until Sunday night. Last weekend proved that I can function without alcohol. Did I miss it, yes I did and found it hard at times. Was it worth waking up on Monday without a hangover, HELL YES. That feeling was so good so that is what I look forward to come Frida night. I need to know what I plan to do both Saturday and Sunday to stay focused and keep on track. Life is good today..
Have a great Wednesday people x
Old 10-13-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Isn't it great being able to do things on weekends when you're not hungover? Sounds like last weekend was a lovely one, and your partner obviously enjoyed it too. My partner is so happy I'm not drinking. Life is much better without it. So pleased to hear things are going so well, sydneyman!!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too sydneyman

D
Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good Morning.. Day 10 has come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..double digits now. I am proud of myself.

Pros:
No hangovers
sleep very well ( although last night had nightmares)
anxiety pretty much gone
more confident
clear head
no more heart palpitations
calmer, not a stress head anymore
cravings, pretty much non existent (this is what worries me)

Cons; NONE

So Thursday morning on this side of the planet and feel good. I must say the first 1-5 days were the worst. Did surprisingly not suffer of any major withdrawals. I think the worst is over physically now its a matter of teaching the head how to cope with various situations without the bottle ( or cask in my case). I have had a couple of stressful situations the last few days where I would normally reach out for the stress reliever but have had to cope without it.
I know I can do this this time around because I really want to. Friday is tomorrow and at this stage I am not worried/scared about the weekend. I am looking forward to the weekend of walking, cooking, swimming (spring here) and not having to work.
I think my mothers disease ALS has put thing into perspective for me as well. Life can really turn in an instant and you really need to make the most of it. We only have one life and I certainly want to live it with a clear head than walk around in a chemical haze and feel rotten all the time.
I can not wait to have more days under my belt if this is how I am going to feel and its only day 10...I am not worried about a relapse as my partner by supporting me does not drink (he can if he wants). We have a bottle of vodka in the cabinet but it doesn't bother or tempt me. I will eventually be around situations with people drinking/alcohol I cant avoid that. However, I am the person who decides my actions and I have chosen not to drink.
Life is good at the moment.
Good day/night to you all!!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

also wanted to add that I quit sugar (gone Paleo) beginning of the month as well and I think that has a lot to do with my withdrawals not being that severe this time. Perhaps its in my head but that's how it feels. With quitting sugar (as much as I can) it has also diminished my cravings for alcohol somehow. Cravings are nearly not as bad as the first time around a year ago.. So perhaps that's what you guys could try as well? Just a thought...