Notices

Back again after 9 months

Old 10-14-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 days, sydneyman; well done.

Great pros and cons list!!!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great job sydneyman
Old 10-14-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
also wanted to add that I quit sugar (gone Paleo) beginning of the month as well and I think that has a lot to do with my withdrawals not being that severe this time. Perhaps its in my head but that's how it feels. With quitting sugar (as much as I can) it has also diminished my cravings for alcohol somehow. Cravings are nearly not as bad as the first time around a year ago.. So perhaps that's what you guys could try as well? Just a thought...
Really glad it worked for you Sydneyman, but a sudden diet change like that is not for everyone.

D
Old 10-14-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Totally agree,, the diet change really had nothing to do with booze , it is to do with weighloss
Old 10-15-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 11..today is Friday. A week ago I was worried sick that it was Friday and I couldn't drink after work. Today things are different. It does not worry me at all. It is strange how things can change. I am looking forward to the weekend. A friend called last night and asked if we would come around after work on Friday. This means getting totally wasted and smoking dope. So not going there at all. I told him I would like to meet on Saturday for lunch. so that's a better idea.
Don't have much more to add. Soldier on people we can all do it, its all in the head after all!!!
Happy weekend!!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Day 12 has come. Its Saturday morning. Came home after work feeling good. Once that front door closed I was ready for a drink. I said to myself I am not a drinker and go for a walk instead. I did that but was in a filthy mood all evening. The AV came back for a visit. Went to bed and woke up early. Going for an hour walk this morning and then need to busy myself with house stuff. Have a good sober weekend all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work congrats on day 12
Old 10-16-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

You too Sydneyman

D
Old 10-17-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 13 Sunday morning 10.30. Been for a walk this morning and starting to feel "normal". Second weekend has gone past sober and I must say it is getting easier. My physical dependence has gone. The strong cravings have gone. Now I have to work on the mental side of things. and this is what is going to take the time. It is replacing old behaviours with new ones. For me its totally changing my lifestyle, from couch drinking potato to an active person who follows the motto "life be in it". During my walk this morning I was thinking to myself, my body must be saying"what the hell is going on "I was laughing to myself.
I feel so much better and thinking of day 1, it is amazing how quick we can start healing. So, so far all good, I just hope I don't get tempted somewhere suddenly out of the blue and blow it all. At this stage however, there is NO CHANCE of that. I guess don't worry about things today that you can worry about tomorrow. Day by day, slowly. slowly.
Happy Sunday all !!
Old 10-18-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober today, been a bit of a rollercoaster but feeling good this morning. I am getting to know my old self again. Sleeping well, eating healthy and have lost weight. Weight loss has also been on my agenda whist giving up the bottle. Lost 5kg or 10lbs in 2 weeks so that obviously is a great motivator as well. My second weekend sober was so much easier than the first one. I even visited a friend who likes his drink and to my surprise he had given up as well due to me!! So there we sat and drank water and still had a good time.
This week my partner has a conference and we are staying in a 5 * hotel with access to the executive lounge=free booze!! This happens once a year and previously I used to certainly take advantage of the free booze. I drank as much as I could , it was free right! This time it will be no booze I go for the food instead. I told my partner if you want to drink go ahead it really doesn't bother me, and that's true. It really doesn't, I set my mind to this and doing well and I don't want to sabotage what I have achieved in this short space of time. This time around I was googling their gym rather than their lounge to see what's on offer.
Anyway, 2 weeks has gone fast and so worth it. Feel like a new person.
If you are thinking of giving the bottle up, believe me you can do it. I could and I was a heavy drinker. Replace the old behaviour with something new and you will be on your way! Have a great week from Sydney!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

To any newbies out there
Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 2 weeks bud
Old 10-20-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Heaven was in front of me last evening. Walked into the lounge and was greeted by a table full of booze, vodka, gin etc and a huge fridge full of wine bottles and this was all free!!! I was strong and did stick to sparkling water. This is the first time in my whole life that I have walked out of a lounge, hotel or airline sober..
It wasnt as gard as I thought..i told my partner to please feel free and have a drink or 2 that it did not bother me and it truly didnt. I heard some nice words from his mouth while we were sitting there. I am proud and impressed of your determination. That was so nice to hear.. It made my evening. This morning I woke up with nil hangover and went to the hotel gym and pounded the treadmill for 1 hour followed by a swim and a buffet breakfast. Feeling good and strong. Liking myself and life again.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Sobriety rocks, doesn't it, sydneyman!!!!

Great post.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Love it
Old 10-21-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

You are an inspiration--this really helps others so please keep sharing
Old 10-21-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-21-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks hawkeye!

Day 17 today.. Last night went to the lounge again, we had a friend join us and I ended up being the barman mixing drinks!!!i stuck to sparkling water and actually did not even have the desire to have one. I thoght to myself how odd.. I watched my prtner and friend get happy drunk. We were laughing and having a good time. Me having fun without alcohol has really been unheard of. But I enjoyed myself.. This morning woke up ready for another hour on the treadmill. My partner was too hangover to join me.. Tables turned this time ( he. Is a social drinker).. He is feeling like crap today. I am so glad I stayed on the straigth and narrow.. Unbelievable that I am nearing almost 3 weeks sober... I think of day 1 and I never want to be back to that, ever.. I am liking mysel, i am sure I am more likeable as well.. I could be such a bitch to be around during my binges, no more.. Life is good at the moment
Old 10-22-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 18 today, almost 3 weeks, unbelievable for me.. I am pumped as everything is falling to place. I have about 40lbs to loose and I have lost 15lbs since quitting. Yes I am a man, 6ft2 tall. I have consiously changed my diet during this time. I have gone about 80% paleo and it suits my lifestyle, cut out sugar, wheat and grains. I now eat much healthier and I move around I walk for 1 hour on most days and it makes me feel really good. On day 1 I thought to myself that life is going to be boring without my bottle.. I have proved it to be so wrong. There is so much that life has to offer us and I prefer to be part of it rather than sit on the couch comatosed drinking cupious amount of wine and passing out. Then repeating the same scenario day after day.. I hope and believe that I have this under control at least for now. Its a daily thing and I have had to replace my drinking behaviour with a healthy lifestyle. Life is good at the moment. It is Friday today but hey, I am not scared about the weekend as I have survived 2 previous ones. This one is not going to be any different. I now look forward to the weekends as I have so much to do. God alcohol wasted almost 30 years if my life!!! I wish I would have changed so many years earlier..
Happy weekend to you all!!!!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good job Sydney!!! You are an inspiration. I am currently on day 13 and it is getting better day by day. Aren't we so much more productive when we're not plastered!