Notices

New Journal To Recovery

Old 11-04-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

glad you are still working through this ghostface...

As for your "lady friend" , sometimes we must do things in order to protect ourselves from ourselves. Glad you are able to see this.

I hope you have an exit strategy for your trip. Have alternative plans to remove yourself from situations that may be too tempting. And learn how to tell the AV to go away.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I experienced a lot of mood swings and depression when I stopped. I seemed to level off recently around 90 days.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Mid-day check in as I'm closing to leaving the rat - race and closer to being a free man. Still have a bit of stress on my mind due to work but besides that, everything is great. I was under the false impression that being sober would solve alot of problems but now I'm learning that sobriety just make it easier to deal with these issues instead of escaping through alcohol.

Got a few errand to do as soon as I get home, plus I have to a check in to an "addiction recovery program" that is mandatory court order so that should be fun. Thought of drinking are still there but now I see alcohol for the poison that it is, my next step is the cigarettes and I know that's a whole other monster I have to defeat.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

You are doing well, GhostFace. Recognizing alcohol for what it is for us is major.

Keep on.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support. It's top for the morning and I'm ready to tackle day 7. I didn't do much last night since I was real tired, a 20 minute nap turn to a four hour nap. I pretty much slept all day after work.

I'm still a bit depressed and a little fustrated from work but I'm handling it much better being sober. Before, I would of bought a bottle and forget about all my problems, now I'm facing them.

Have a blessed day!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

It's almost time to clock out of work and I'm feeling a bit stressed. Thursday is usually the day I go on my drinking binge and I feel like my body is calling for it. Work has been slow, I'm owed money and feel like I've been in a dead end.

There are certain people I want to call but fear they will trigger me to drink so it looks like another lonely night for me. I had lost contact with alot of friends as I don't want to associate myself with people that don't have much going on for themselves, you know the saying "birds of a feather flock together."

Now I have to figure out how to keep myself busy for the next five hours.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Do your best

Day 7 is one week sober that's a win

Ghostface I'm taking you like wu tang in some way ? have you seen ghostdog (one of my fave movies) or 36 chambers of shaolin another of my fave movies

Have you read the hagakure I love that book or rashomon both books & films are awesome
Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey @soberwolf,

I have not seen any of the Wu-Tang flicks, mostly documentary. On another note, im feeling a bit better, had to shut my AV voice. One of my drinking buddies also invited me over but i declined.

This is getting tough..
Old 11-06-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good morning,

I am now ready to tackle day 8. Last night I I was bored out of my mind and decided to step out with a few friends to a bar. I know alot of you guys won't agree that I should put myself in that predicament and it's too early in my sobriety, but I did it anyways.

Honestly, I did not have one craving or did I felt like I was missing on alcohol. I actually felt really energetic which I found weird. Any how, I left early and met up with some of my other friends. They were all drunk and high. They asked me if I wanted a drink and I said no. One even congratulated me as I never turn down a drink and seem real supportive, the others looked at me like I was crazy.

It feels good that I could go to a drinking environment and not have the urge to engage.

Thank you for listening
Old 11-06-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Ghost, gotta tell it to you straight man, you're playing with fire. The last place you need to be is in a bar with your intoxicated friends, especially this early in your sobriety. Please rework your plan to fill the times you're bored with other activities. This means you have to make some significant changes about the choices you make. This advice is coming from someone who really cares what happens to you.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by On The Road View Post
Ghost, gotta tell it to you straight man, you're playing with fire. The last place you need to be is in a bar with your intoxicated friends, especially this early in your sobriety. Please rework your plan to fill the times you're bored with other activities. This means you have to make some significant changes about the choices you make. This advice is coming from someone who really cares what happens to you.
You are abosulutely right. I was only there for about 20 minutes. A major reason for me to get sober was to stop hanging out with these kind of people but we are talking about friends that I known for over 10 years. Now what about family members and the holidays coming up, should I depart from my family as well? These are tough situations and even if they can be avoided, I still have to be around certain people that drink.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

What about breaking it down into two categories, "family" and "friends"?

On the family side: is there anyone supportive of your sobriety? If so, stick with them through the holidays. If not, make a plan to visit your family and spend short periods of time with them making sure you have an exit plan (gotta get up early, going to the gym, any excuse will do).

On the friends sides: who are your friends and who are your drinking buddies? Do you have any long term friends who are sober friendly? If not, (and this is the change in your choices I was talking about) go do something you haven't had time to do because you were too busy boozing: art, photography, group therapy, music, volunteer in a soup kitchen, etc.... Meet new, sober people you can share you journey with (like what you're doing here at SR). And drinking buddies, I'd stay away from them now. Sobriety is hard enough under the best conditions, so please don't add to temptation by sitting in the den with the devil.

I know you can do this, but it's going to mean you'll have to make some very tough choices. I promise you, with more sober time, you'll gain more confidence and you'll feel so much better
NOT being in the freaking crazy train anymore.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by On The Road View Post
What about breaking it down into two categories, "family" and "friends"?

On the family side: is there anyone supportive of your sobriety? If so, stick with them through the holidays. If not, make a plan to visit your family and spend short periods of time with them making sure you have an exit plan (gotta get up early, going to the gym, any excuse will do).

On the friends sides: who are your friends and who are your drinking buddies? Do you have any long term friends who are sober friendly? If not, (and this is the change in your choices I was talking about) go do something you haven't had time to do because you were too busy boozing: art, photography, group therapy, music, volunteer in a soup kitchen, etc.... Meet new, sober people you can share you journey with (like what you're doing here at SR). And drinking buddies, I'd stay away from them now. Sobriety is hard enough under the best conditions, so please don't add to temptation by sitting in the den with the devil.

I know you can do this, but it's going to mean you'll have to make some very tough choices. I promise you, with more sober time, you'll gain more confidence and you'll feel so much better
NOT being in the freaking crazy train anymore.
On my family side, I have my sisters and mother who are very supportive. Friends, I can't think of one sober friend in my life.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Ghost. I'm sober and I'm your friend, so you can count me as one.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Do your best

Me too
Old 11-06-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to be fairly brutal about what I did and who I did it with for a while.

Recovery had to be my main preoccupation, cos I knew if I lost my recovery I was putting everything else I loved in jeopardy.

When you start to think about it like that, another drink becomes far more than just another drink.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support.

This is my mid day check in. The weekend is here and these are the times my faith in myself is put to the test. My main priority is to stay sober and I need a game plan. Right now I'm in the barbershop sipping on some Pelegrino, I would usually drink a beer while I wait but times are different now. Once I'm done, I'm going straight to the gym and after that cook up a post meal.

What do you guys have plan for the weekend?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Do your best

We always shop on the weekend & relax were planning going theatre soon

Remember the post I said about them films & books I think you will love them esp ghost dog
Old 11-06-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
Thank you all for your support.

This is my mid day check in. The weekend is here and these are the times my faith in myself is put to the test. My main priority is to stay sober and I need a game plan. Right now I'm in the barbershop sipping on some Pelegrino, I would usually drink a beer while I wait but times are different now. Once I'm done, I'm going straight to the gym and after that cook up a post meal.

What do you guys have plan for the weekend?
Sounds like a good plan, GhostFace. I'm going to make a big batch of chili tomorrow and then freeze most it; Winter is around the corner.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Ghost, I'm heading home for pizza with the fam. I'm planning to hit the gym hard tomorrow and Sunday. I'm going to talk with one of the trainers and get a new routine for the Holiday season. I've added push ups and sit up and planks to my routine to break up the usual weighs. Hoping to hit other muscles to get me through The New Year. Kind of a proactive change in the schedule to keep me focused through the Season, if you know what I mean. I'll definitely do a bunch of cooking and find ways to annoy my wife (in a good way!). Need to do some work with the kids school projects. And will most definitely watch a bunch of football. Oh and finally, won't touch a drop of the poison.

I hope you can do at least one thing differently in your routine and see what happens.