Notices

New Journal To Recovery

Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Sup guys time to wrap up this Friday night. Everything went as planned, I got a haircut, went to the gym and step out with some friends and drank nothing but water. The gym gave me a high and I missed it so much. I been procrastinating to work out since alcohol used to interfere but now I have another reason to stay sober.

I feel the cofidence kicking in and I'm glad that I could have a good time without alcohol. Some of my friends even congratulated me while others don't want to be around me since I'm sober, oh well.

Good night and I will see you guys tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great
Old 11-07-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Keep it going.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning, what a feeling to wake up early with no hangover. Got community service right now so I will update later.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Today is day 10 for me. I did not post to much yesterday but i maintained my sobriety. I thought the weekend would be extremely difficult but in reality, it wasn't that bad. I must confess, I did go to a go-go bar on Friday night; my boredom was killing me. I drank 2 bottles of water and was home by mid-night.

I do feel different in these establishment as the only sober person so i think this is no longer a playground for a recovering person. Im also starting to get annoyed with people asking me "why are you so serious?" and "why do you look mad or depressed?"

Drinking alcohol did loosen me up and now im starting to realize how ant-social i could be, especially with the opposite sex so it's time for me to work on my weakness.

Another observation i made is my friends. With a sober eye you could really see how stupid a drunk looks, repeating himself and slurring his words. It's so boring. Before this was my life, stuck in a yard or garage with music and drinking till there's no more left. I also have another buddy who i thought was a good friend, but now since im sober, i'ts like he does not want to be around me. He called me to hangout and i told him i would but im not drinking and i have not heard from him since. This is probably going to be the hardest and most beneficial for me, changing friends.

Today's task to stay sober is laundry, gym and posting regular on this forum.

Thanks for reading!
Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Congratulation on day ten. You're doing great!

I can see a lot of myself in that last post.

Thank you!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

You're doing fantastically well, GF.

One thing maybe to keep in mind. Counsellors stay in business because of all the people going through life living lives that aren't their own. Believing they are meant to be a certain way, because of how they were raised by their parents, or through teachers, friends etc when deep down that isn't who they really are. And that disconnect can be a permanent source of anxiety and stress, whether they're aware of it or not.

In other words, it sounds like you feel you're meant to be the life and soul of the party. When you were drinking you feel that's how everyone saw you. And now you're wondering how you can still be that person without drinking.

What if that just isn't who you are? You're a good person. You wouldn't be doing what you're doing now if you were naturally that shallow party animal you were when drunk. There's clearly so much more to you than that. Maybe a good use of your new sober time is to really get to know yourself better. I genuinely believe the way to find true happiness is to accept yourself for the person you really are, and not go through life acting a role for others. If that means changing your social circle to find friends that are a better fit for the real you, then maybe that's not a bad thing.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Do your best

Double digits GF way to go bud
Old 11-08-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
You're doing fantastically well, GF.

One thing maybe to keep in mind. Counsellors stay in business because of all the people going through life living lives that aren't their own. Believing they are meant to be a certain way, because of how they were raised by their parents, or through teachers, friends etc when deep down that isn't who they really are. And that disconnect can be a permanent source of anxiety and stress, whether they're aware of it or not.

In other words, it sounds like you feel you're meant to be the life and soul of the party. When you were drinking you feel that's how everyone saw you. And now you're wondering how you can still be that person without drinking.

What if that just isn't who you are? You're a good person. You wouldn't be doing what you're doing now if you were naturally that shallow party animal you were when drunk. There's clearly so much more to you than that. Maybe a good use of your new sober time is to really get to know yourself better. I genuinely believe the way to find true happiness is to accept yourself for the person you really are, and not go through life acting a role for others. If that means changing your social circle to find friends that are a better fit for the real you, then maybe that's not a bad thing.
You are absolutely right. I keep trying to change myself to fit almost to what is the norm. The more I embrace my recovery and with time, I'm starting to see the real me. It's hard to adapt when you are used to having a drink to calm your nerves and to even do a common task like talking to a stranger.

I'm very anti-social and my social life takes place at work and with fam. I started going back to the gym but I'm always to myself and the weights. It's time for me to take on new friends and set better environments.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
I'm very anti-social and my social life takes place at work and with fam.
I'd start by not being too quick to slap a label on yourself. You sure don't come across as anti-social on this forum. And we're all real people here even if it's an anonymous forum. You're giving yourself a terrific opportunity for a fresh start, and you may well find the natural you is very social, just in a deeper, more authentic way than you've been trying to be so far.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post

I'd start by not being too quick to slap a label on yourself. You sure don't come across as anti-social on this forum. And we're all real people here even if it's an anonymous forum. You're giving yourself a terrific opportunity for a fresh start, and you may well find the natural you is very social, just in a deeper, more authentic way than you've been trying to be so far.
Thank you. It's much easier to talk and encourage people when you are behind a computer or phone screen. Maybe I'm not anti-social, and I don't like to engage in small talk but it's too early to tell. I know I suffered from depression and self doubt that why I drank. But now I'm learning that you cannot fix a negative with a negative so I'm using the gym as a way to relieve stress and work on my body inside out to feel better about myself.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

My nightly check in is here. So far this weekend was a success. I'm starting to see people for who they really are and how alcohol has affected my life now that I'm sober. I feel real good today and I'm very grateful for the support I have here. My family is even showing support and lending me a hand such as rides to go to the gym in order to stay sober. I did some jogging also and I'm feeling the effect the cigarettes have on me, it's time to quit the nicotine too.

Thank you all once again for the support.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you are doing well, GhostFace. Sober eyes are cool, aren't they?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Glad to hear that you are doing well, GhostFace. Sober eyes are cool, aren't they?
Yes, I have a clear head and little by little I'm getting motivation to do things I would of put off years ago. I just have to focus on the now and take it one day at a time
Old 11-08-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks Frickaflip

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hey Ghost face

I know how you're feeling. Its truly accepting that I can never drink again, removing that obsession, that will free me. I think I have it for a while but it creeps back in .

I was googling stuff last night and I found a website called bma-wellness.com. There are tons of papers about how we alcoholics think. It really slams home the enormous amount of denial I think most alcoholics engage in in order to protect our addiction. I'm sure there is much to debate in the articles, and they made me a bit 'uncomfortable' because I felt like my condition was being discussed in such an abstract, lab rat, kinda way. But the truth is, my addiction is constantly trying to shape my reality and control me. It fights me non stop to stay alive. I know the longer I am sober and the more I shut that voice down, the weaker it will become. Just takes time and practice. Hang in there.
I just read those excuses on that website......that gave me chills.......
Old 11-09-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice day today
Old 11-09-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good morning guys.

Today is the day 11 and I'm ready to conquer. My whole body is sore from the gym this weekend so I won't be working out today. Plan for today includes:

Work
Making a finance plan and paying bills
Reading
And posting here

Hope everyone has a blessed day.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

doing great ghostface... a day of recovery from the gym and another day of recovery FOR life...
Old 11-09-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Mid-day check in. Almost leaving work, nothing too exciting today. I have to go into an outpatient program and schedule an appointment. No too happy about it but it's order by the court and I have to complete this program. My grandmother is was also admitted to the hospital so I'm a bit down.

Earlier I was watching videos on of friends in in my caribean island playing music, dancing, drinking and having a good time and that thought came up of when I will go out there, get drunk and enjoy myself. I know the harm alcohol has done to me and I still feel like I'm missing a void. I had to remind myself why I'm doing this and all the problems I encountered under the influence.

Any how, all I have is NOW so I will stop day dreaming and go on with the rest of today.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

See if you can alter your daydream a bit to still playing music, dancing, and having a good time, but without the drinking. I know that's possible because I did that a few weeks ago at a gig. And I honestly, genuinely, didn't miss the booze. In fact not having to leave my spot in front of the stage to queue up for drinks and the toilets made it even more enjoyable.