Notices

Ring Ring! Sober Weekender Thread Aug 14

Old 08-15-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

I'm afraid my rocks are going to be so heavy that the floor may give way. Being on the third floor, this could be problematic for several people - and I find them everywhere, in every pocket, backpack, purse. Sometimes I miss one and hear it clinking around in the washer. oops.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thought I would clear up what I look like....

Old 08-15-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Bim. Just cleaned out my thrift store army surplus canvas rock collecting bag in preparation for today. It was chock full of the last trips rocks.
No more room in the front planter strip, I shall add them to the back yard. I guess.

You are a lot taller than I imagined, Weasel.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

LOL, Ken. On another forum my nickname is "Legs." It's a long story - just like your legs..
Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Morning 6 made it! Went out with my partner our usual friday night Mexican food and margarita bar. I had water with lemon he had his regular. It was not that bad... I am hoping to continue. unfortunately my personal life my suffer. I am feeling stronger mentally .
Old 08-15-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  
saoutchik

One a them legs must have taken a lot of tattooing Wease

Maybe in the short term your personal life may be a bit hard to get used to caliredHead but long term drinkers don't have much of a personal or any other sort of life. It probably takes a while for those close to you to accept that your serious and what that means
Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caliredHead View Post
Day 5 first weekend.... terrified. Old habits are so easy. I am trying to plan something different not to fall into the same craters. I am in a relationship that apparently drinking was important. So I am planning on a little trip to visit family after this weekend. Hopefully that will help. I have decided I have to survive.
Caliredhead, today is my Day 6, too so my first weekend sober in a long time also. It felt nice to wake up sober this morning with no hangover! Hope your weekend is going well. Stay strong!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

caliredhead, I think we imagine the things we are going to miss - but in fact I've found there is nothing I miss about the drinking lifestyle.

I still go to events where there is a lot of drinking. I'm just not the one doing it. I don't go to things that are strictly about drinking, though. Like sitting at a bar just to chat. Or going to a nighttime party that is just for drinking. It's super boring to listen to the conversations people have who are drinking. They don't make any sense, and they are mostly conversations about being hungover or stupid things done while drinking. Such a waste of time. Nothing ever gets accomplished in those events. I go to music and sports things, though. They are more fun sober, IMO.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Today was a nice day. spent the afternoon with my parents and we went for a drive in the countryside and to visit the grave. When we got back and were preparing something to eat, my mother kind of sighed and said "well, I suppose things could be worse". I nearly dropped dead from shock. My mother, The Drama Queen. NOTHING is ever good enough...

Anyway...

This morning my mother was a bit upset and I patted her on the back and said "there is no need to be upset about anything. I have decided that I am not going to worry about anything any more. Why should I worry or get upset when I know that Granny is looking down on us and taking care of us"? I know that I loved her and I know that she loved me too. Dad says that I was her second favourite person in the world (after my auntie).
My mother stopped crying and my father said to me "you know, you have a very special gift for being kind to others. Don't waste it". That was so nice of dad! I think my father also has that special gift...
I am reminded of the time when I was a teenager and I wanted to be a nurse more than anything in the world. However, my late Grandfather quickly put an end to my nursing ambitions and I went into teaching instead...
Old 08-15-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

And yes, I am feeling lots better today.

Dad brought me breakfast in bed as a treat - eggs, toast, sausages, rashers, mushrooms, tomatoes and tea.

Amazing what good food and a long sleep will do for a person.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Wow, a lot has happened here on the W'ender (love that) thread since 4-something Mountain Time!
It was already pretty warm when we left this morning to head to the race site. I was sweating during my warm-up! In spite of having a cold and spending a couple days drinking binge-style this week (none yesterday), I managed to do my leg of the relay triathlon in under 10 min/mile average pace. Not bad considering I'm toting around 10 extra pounds and am 42 (and the drinking thing this week). Our team won the relay division. I think staying sober will make my next race in two weeks better.
Congrats Venecia on 2 years!
Day 2 here, staying strong for now. Thankfully, my husband has been having a lot of gout flare-ups lately so he's decided to not drink.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Never too late to become a nurse Tetra ….

I think it is quite a stressful profession , there again i imagine teaching can be too .
All ,
Beef is in the oven , mex-m8 is working so i'm having a quiet and slightly self indulgent night

m
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Holy buckets! Gone for a couple hours and have pages to catch up on!

Sale is over. Now I'm sitting at home fighting a few tears. I hope whoever buys the house appreciates as much as my grandparents did - it's a super cool house with a few quirks, and its setting is amazing. It's right in town, but it's at the top of a cul-de-sac and surrounded on 3 sides by city-owned wooded land. When you are in the back of the house you'd think you were out in the woods away from civilization. I inherited a third of it, but just can't quite swing the other two thirds, that my mom and uncle inherited. I could do it if I could sell my house, like right this minute. But - it needs some work, and I'm not up for that. But - one of the parties very interested in buying it is a lovely lady and her husband - they were neighbors and enjoyed my grandparents a lot. So I hope they buy it.

Yes, Big S - it's a steamy very hot stretch we are in. No outdoor activities today.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caliredHead View Post
Morning 6 made it! Went out with my partner our usual friday night Mexican food and margarita bar. I had water with lemon he had his regular. It was not that bad... I am hoping to continue. unfortunately my personal life my suffer. I am feeling stronger mentally .
Great news... Keep going.

But maybe use stronger language with yourself. Turn that "I hope" into "I will". The way i speak to myself has a big impact on what I am able to do.

Ken
Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myjourney111713 View Post
Caliredhead, today is my Day 6, too so my first weekend sober in a long time also. It felt nice to wake up sober this morning with no hangover! Hope your weekend is going well. Stay strong!
Hey myjourney!!! Welcome. Keep us up on how you are doing. Let's get you to a safe sober Monday with the feeling of having done it. Knowing I could do it once helped me do it again. And again... And....

Ken
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Wow, a lot has happened here on the W'ender (love that) thread since 4-something Mountain Time!
It was already pretty warm when we left this morning to head to the race site. I was sweating during my warm-up! In spite of having a cold and spending a couple days drinking binge-style this week (none yesterday), I managed to do my leg of the relay triathlon in under 10 min/mile average pace. Not bad considering I'm toting around 10 extra pounds and am 42 (and the drinking thing this week). Our team won the relay division. I think staying sober will make my next race in two weeks better.
Congrats Venecia on 2 years!
Day 2 here, staying strong for now. Thankfully, my husband has been having a lot of gout flare-ups lately so he's decided to not drink.
Ha ha if his gout helps you stay sober so be it. It takes anything and everything.

Congrats on day 2!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Walking dogs in the woods
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
forum1.jpg (85.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Lilac good for you finishing up on the race.

MLD, I'm sorry you're sad. It sounds like a magical house. My mom asked me if I wanted my gran's house but same thing, sell now on mine. Mine needs work. Gran's house is on a corner on a busy busy street and no garage. Not in the trees.

Enjoy dinner Mex.

Weasel, your profile looks like those training chopsticks.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
...holds the key

My.....what long legs you have, weasel!

Cute dogs DD!

I'm back from the brunch and I had a really nice time. I had the opportunity to share my story of quitting drinking and my journey over the past eight months. One girl even said I was an inspiration. I'm not sure about that but I do know that it felt good to share my accomplishments and plans for the future instead of being buried under a bunch of shame for once!

So newcomers.....these are the kinds of things you have to look forward to! Being proud of yourself, growing emotionally and spiritually, and basically just becoming the person you were always meant to be. Nothing else like it!
Xoxo
Old 08-15-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Last night was the worst craving for alcohol since I stopped. I got through it sober. I'm kinda proud of myself. Feeling much better. Woke up hangover free and well rested. Here's to a beautiful sober weekend.