Notices

My mind is my enemy

Old 07-15-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mind is my enemy

Hi everyone, here I am on another go around with staying sober. No it's not just another it's the one, the one that I'm going to make count! On day 10 here & feeling ok. Except for having poison ivy for the 1st time in 31 yrs & a tooth that just had a crown put on that killing me unless I'm popping ibuprofen every 4 hours. So guess ok fits my current mood. My main problem is my mind, it's telling me all these negative things. It has me worried about things that aren't even here yet like student loans, can I get a job with a Bach. In psych after I load up all of this debt. All of this is running through my brain making me feel like I should be doing something before it's too late. I know it's one day at a time but should I be stressing over this stuff 10 days in? Getting sober is about having a better life. But if I can't find a job after graduation with my degree, what's the use. Any kind words or inspiration from anyone? I really appreciate anything rite now...
Old 07-15-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only way you'll get a job is to put yourself out there Free - really go for it
But...if you're not finished your degree yet, I'd suggest it's a needless worry right now.

You can start looking at jobs in your area of expertise tho to get a feel for what's around.

Best wishes - hope the tooth settles down
D
Old 07-16-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Staying sober will be a big help in getting a job in your field! That what's the use? is your AV talking. Ignore it!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your first priority is to remain sober. I have made a mess of my career over the years because I didn't address my alcoholism. I have lost many opportunities. I would quit jobs, get fired, or just do enough to get by. Alcohol always came first. I even got fired my first day on a new job because I reeked of alcohol from the night before. I once did an interview with 3 pints already in me.

First things first. Stay sober and just let things happen.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 07-16-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Free2B84,
In the movie 'Island of Dr Moreau' the subjects have a saying - "He who kills goes back to the House of Pain" ...

In drinking (Alcoholism as described in the Big Book of AA) anytime we drink we go back to Step 1, along with the Pitiful & Incomprehensible Demoralization.

However, Step 1 is a wonderful place ... it is the place of SURRENDER, then the start of the Steps to the MIRACLE of FREEDOM ... If they are worked thru, and then continued with the Daily Steps 10, 11, 12.

I am not talkin about the hangers-on definition of AA - Just Don't Drink and Go To Meetings - that has gotten many people sober, but generally does not bring us into THE MIRACLE OF LIFE IN THE 4Tth DIMENSION OF FREEDOM.

Work The Steps ... preferably with a Sponsor that BELIEVES IN WORKING THE STEPS ... pray and I believe You Will be led to someone just for that purpose.

Do a Web Search for Recovery Speaker Messages, most are free. I suggest starting with 'Joe & Charlie Big Book Study' and 'Melbourne Steps Weekend - Recordings'.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 07-16-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Don't scratch that itch. It only prolongs the healing time. Leave it alone and focus on other things that make you feel better.

Also, don't touch the poison ivy either.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't overload yourself with worry right now Free. I'm 42 and spent all of my professional career drinking heavily. That in itself didn't do me ANY favors. Lost my job at 39 (not due to drinking), had over $400,000 in unsecured debt, no savings, and a family that was counting on me. Today we are great. I continue to take it one day at a time... but one thing I know is as long as I don't drink I'm giving myself the best chance at success I can.

You can do this!

The single most important thing you can do for yourself right now is not drink. For an alcoholic, drinking just f***s up everything in life.

The other stuff will come, just give yourself the best shot at a good and happy life as you can.

Congrats on 10 days, that's awesome!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a busy brain, too. And tend to 'should' on myself. I should be here by now, I should have this by now, I should be this type of person...Be quiet brain! It can be very overwhelming when we look at everything all at once. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. I use that as a funny reminder to take things step by step. It will all work out, I promise!

Congratulations on 10 days!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 10, Free2B84. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Classy of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also in early recovery.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

We have a thinking disease not a drinking disease but until we stop drinking we can't address our other problems
Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I suffer a great deal from anxiety, and I know where excessive worrying leads me. Yes, back to the off-licence, as it's my knee-jerk coping mechanism. I'm 4 days in though, and I know I have to deal with my problems in a different way. I used to think I loved alcohol, but it was really just the first couple of drinks. After that, it was just a case of how much I could get down my neck, whilst chain-smoking. Not exactly social drinking!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 10 is fantastic!!

For me Sobriety was a great foundation to build a life on, everything was possible without alcohol in my life, not drinking was my focus for a long time, and then as I built up a few Sober muscles I could start to build from there!!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you don't let your anxiety hold you back. Of course, good jobs are hard to find, but having the education behind you is so important.

Ten days sober is great!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for all the inspiration & advice! I have joined and keeping up with 'july 2015' thread.. I also spoke with a professional in psychology about my career path & she plus you all have made me feel better about it. Today is day 12 & it's been sum what tough. Mind raceing and finding it hard to smile. About an hour ago an old friend called and invited me to a movie & to go bk to his place for drinks. I told him I was not drinking and that I don't really feel strong enough to go out (even a movie that's next door to a bar) yet. I know this will pass & I plan on joining the meeting tonight at 8pm. Just wanted to share with you all in hopes it would left some of this anxiety and thoughts about a drink off my mind.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is an old cliche or saying that goes something like this: Only concern yourself with the things you can control, and don't obsess over things you can't control. And if you think about it, its so true and will help alleviate some of that anxiety. You will fry your brain trying to resolve issues that you are not able to resolve as they are out of your control.
Also, not to be harsh, but you'll find a job. You will have to. Degree or no degree, you need a place to live and you need to eat. So, you will find a job.