Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 2

Old 04-15-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Also, I am finding it helpful to write out the "whys" for quitting drinking. I write this out several times during the day, especially at the end of my work day and again when I get home. It keeps me focused on what I want to achieve. I am quitting alcohol because:

1. I am tired of being tired, unfit, hungover, and operating far beneath my potential.
2. I want to give my life a chance to get back to what it should be.
3. I am curious to see what happens with my life away from alcohol.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Fifth day here today. Feeling a bit fed up which has led to a couple of urges already and it's only 1pm.

All good though. I'm committed to not drinking today again :-)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Morning all. I love gratitude lists!!
Today I am grateful for:
1. Waking up sober
2. Gods hand in healing my marriage
3. My children's health
4. Beautiful weather

Have a wonderful day April class!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi class....Day 15 closing now.

Made it thru the trip away. Will write more later.....
Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
This morning I am grateful for:
  1. Waking up sober and well rested. It is a much better way to start the day.
  2. I am grateful for my wonderful children and the chance to be a good father today.
  3. I am grateful for my wife and the chance to be a good husband.
  4. I am grateful for all the unexplored potential and opportunity that lies ahead in sobriety.
That's not a bad list of things to be grateful for!

Went to bed sober. Day 9 now...

OMD
Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by Chadders View Post
Morning Everyone!
It's a beautiful day here today. Like many others (although not all I'm sure) find the fresh mornings really invigorating and motivating. They reinforce my resolve and at the moment I find the idea of drinking again quite repulsive. But the evenings ARE different and I know I definitely have to be on my guard. I'm sitting on the train now on the way in to work and I feel fresh and clear headed. Many has been the time when I've made this journey feeling awful and I NEVER EVER want to do that again. So I look forward to each and every one of these clear-headed mornings now and long may they last! They won't last very long if I allow myself to drink again, so it's a no brainer. I'm not going to drink again. That's it (he says sounding a little more confident that he feels!)
:-)
Best wishes everyone!
C
I have the same sentiments

OMD
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats to anyone on a milestone welcome to any newcomers

Thoughts to anyone struggling
Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Hi class....Day 15 closing now. Made it thru the trip away. Will write more later.....
Great work Can! :-)
Old 04-15-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Evening all day 4 for me....its been a beautiful day in the UK really hot! However in my neck of the woods it means everyone sitting out in beer gardens which sprawl out onto the street drinking and smoking. Ugh have to admit I had to avert my eyes as I drove past on my way home from work.

Took the kids to the park instead and also took my book on Mindfulness which I am already finding helpful.

I find the evenings are so different that its just taking a bit of time to get used to being sober again. I really love the mornings and feel so grateful for sobriety and a clear head which I really need as I have one heck of stressful job/life!

Good luck everyone we can do this...
Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Martina

I'm in London too and it has indeed been so warm. I'm still hot now.

The beer gardens were going strong before midday near me and by 3pm there were some seriously red people still outside!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Haha JaneLane...I had to play the tape forward to myself today. Wonder how they will feel tomorrow especially those that started before midday
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Day 7 I hope everyone else is having a great week
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Also, I am finding it helpful to write out the "whys" for quitting drinking. I write this out several times during the day, especially at the end of my work day and again when I get home. It keeps me focused on what I want to achieve. I am quitting alcohol because:

1. I am tired of being tired, unfit, hungover, and operating far beneath my potential.
2. I want to give my life a chance to get back to what it should be.
3. I am curious to see what happens with my life away from alcohol.
Jazz thank you for sharing this.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Day 18 now. We don't have daylight saving time here so the mornings are bright. I'm up before 5 and just back from the supermarket. People are so friendly at this time in the morning.

Last week I had the sober bonus of losing some bloat. Yesterday and today it seems to have come back. I appear to have put on weight despite cutting alcohol and processed sugar and eating relatively healthily. Bummer.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Morning all....

Things have obviously moved on in my absence, welcome to all the new people, this is getting to be a big class.

I flew off for a couple of days to pick up my visitor who arrived international late Monday night. Knew it wasn't going to be that easy a few days. First night had a five six hour wait in a hotel room at the airport. Stacked minibar didn't get touched, J arrived midnight wanting a beer but it was all a bit late.

Next day...wandering and shopping. Beer o'clock rolled around.....sat in a bar on a lime soda, bought J a couple of beers from the liquor store....had a chat about my not drinking back in the hotel, dinner, she had another beer, I did it on soda. Then sat out another beer back at the hotel. It wasn't too bad. I just have to detach from the idea that it would make the evening any better.

She just can't understand why I'm not....genuinely can't see that it could be a problem. Attitude seems to be that because it relaxes you it is good for your health. "Why you not drink?.....we no have a drink together"....not really happy about it.

Flew back here last night, got back late. Got in, went out for some groceries. Wanted wine. I bought it for her.....

.....so I've a guest here for the next few weeks who is gonna sit and drink in front of me nightly. Last night...the smell of it. At one point I'm coughing and the glass is immediately offered with a laugh.

It makes it all a lot harder. I really sympathise with the people here who are dealing with a drinking spouse at the same time as their own problem.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

This morning I am grateful for:
  1. Waking up sober and well rested. It is a much better way to start the day.
  2. I am grateful for my wonderful children and the chance to be a good father today.
  3. I am grateful for my wife and the chance to be a good husband.
  4. I am grateful for all the unexplored potential and opportunity that lies ahead in sobriety.
That's a great idea, Jazzfish.

I'm sick of telling you guys, I'm on Day 1 again. When I failed after 55 days of no drinking from the January Class it just hasn't been the same. I can go 1-3 days without drinking then I polish off a bottle of wine the next. Then spend the day kicking myself.
But posting on here helps but I'm also sorry I'm letting the class down.
I know what I have to do, I've said it to others 'get back on the bike'.

Congratulations to all the milestoners

JS
Old 04-15-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Administrator

whats your plan to stay sober for the rest of the week , James?

D
Old 04-15-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Stopping by for an evening check-in. I had a full day of work and then came home to help my daughter with her science project. It was a good day. Right now is usually the time when I start to get "sleepy" but I am feeling energetic instead.

If you're struggling, keep at it. You can do it and it is worth it! I can't wait to wake up sober tomorrow morning.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

New to the thread.

Day 2 is just about in the books.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congrats Skhatru

D