Notices

Your last day 1 - Weekender Thread Feb 20-22

Old 02-19-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey weekenders! Slide over to make room for one more, please. Can we stop somewhere to pick up a hammock? I plan on being lazy this weekend. (But we'll see how long that lasts.)

There have been so very many, but my last Day 1 was (lemme check...) 131 days ago. I woke up in the middle of the night sick and miserable and thought to myself I'll try again tomorrow. I'm not really sure what triggered me to "try again", but I know what is working so far: finally registering and posting here. My hands were shaking and sweating from nerves when I hit "submit" on my first post. And then there was an overwhelming feeling of relief. I just cried, hid out at home, and stayed on SR all day. Connecting with my class on here has made all the difference. (Hollaaaaa Octsobers! Lol).

Best wishes for health and happiness everyone. We can do this together.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

welcome to the weekend Beef! can't wait to see those pics of the temperature.
I was going to play cascata the end of 2013, and another course in BC, was planning a few days to fly fish for stripers off willow beach from a kayak. I have the unused flies and leaders in my basement - doh! Was all set to go too. work got in the way of my trip. love the water below the dam, maybe this year or next... Flagstaff may be in my future plans. or maybe a job at the dam... to hot though... crazy hot

stick around, good folks and good soberiety
Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone! I'm inspired by everyone's Day one stories. They are awesome. Thank you everyone.

I'm home after a grueling drive home. The President was in town for the day. At rush hour they had shut down the entire outbound expressway for his motorcade. He was headed back to Washington. He didn't fly out of either of the two main airports so I'm not quite sure where his plane landed or departed from. All I know is that I creeped along on side streets.

I tried to keep very zen about it but I was in horrible mood when I got home. Everyone laying around in a messy house, watching TV. So job two started. Cleaning and laundry. My daughter helped. I'm still trying to get relaxed. I don't think it will happen.

Time to get son in bed. Had to listen to Mr. Ruby venting about my cushy job and I'm lucky to still have it despite my drinking career. How unfair blah blah blah. Meanwhile, I never get to watch what I want to watch on TV. Everyone else monopolizes the television. I'm putting kids to bed, reading to them, making sure they are bathed and with the few minutes I have when done I do more picking up and maybe some reading. I'm just not happy. So, being sober doesn't guarantee happiness all the time. But at least I don't feel disgusting all the time.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ruby-I am sorry to hear about your day. I have a hug for you (and anyone else in need of one).
Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
And looky, looky!
Look what I found in my post box!!!
A postcard from BigSombrero!!!

How fantastic is that!!!
Thank you so much Big!!! Love it!
Glad you enjoyed the postcard, Olive! The bird in that picture is the Quetzal, which is the national bird of Guatemala. It's on everything, the country's flag, etc. The money here is also the "Quetzal" (which is shortened to "Q" on all signs, receipts, etc. For example, a sign outside a breakfast place will say: "Desayuno Chapin: Q 26".

Anyway, it's a gorgeous bird and can be found throughout the region, but it's tough to spot. It's a rainforest creature and we don't have them up here in the mountains. My best chance to catch one was when I went up to the Mayan Ruins up north in the jungle, that's where all the good animals live, including the monkeys and jaguars and ocelots etc. The south Pacific coast has gator-like animals called Cayman, as well as big ass crocodiles and iguanas. 'Round here we've got plenty of colorful birds though, including some you wouldn't think of like orioles and woodpeckers. In fact I just saw a nesting woodpecker pair return to my back yard the other day! The orioles we see here though are different, they are bright blaze orange and yellow and have very little black. Anyhooo....

A bit chilly here, we only hit 70 today. Still wore shorts and a t-shirt to the market after work. I hear the temps are a bit chilly up in my old stomping grounds and for many of you north of the border. Hope March brings a thaw to everyone's daily routine soon! Don't worry Ruby, the weather in Chicago always has some big jumps in March and since the POTUS has left town your commute tomorrow will be a breeze. Hope you get a peaceful night's rest, you've earned it!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm in for the weekend.
Ended up staying home today cause I did not feel well and was up coughing all night. Went to the Dr and ends up I have bronchitis. ...thank goodness I went and am on antibiotics now. Hopefully I can get to work tomorrow.
My last day was one of many last days over the past few years. Normally I would make it 3 or 4 weeks, start feeling good, and go buy a bottle of wine. The honest difference the last time was that somewhere along the way in my attempt, I found SR. I think I was googling about how long it takes to feel better or something and I stumbled upon this site. Best thing that ever happened. It got me through the difficult beginning and has helped me see it through . It's my only support besides a few friends and family - I'm on here everyday whether I have time to post, or not. The support and encouragement is priceless and reading the struggles of others helps me to not forget how tough this is and how I don't want to go through the early days again. But also...I love reading about the triumphs and joy that comes into people's lives when we get sober.
Bring on the weekend! No big plans for me and I'll probably take it easy to be sure I'm totally over this bronchitis.
Welcome to all the newcomers!
See you all later.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Glad you enjoyed the postcard, Olive! The bird in that picture is the Quetzal, which is the national bird of Guatemala. It's on everything, the country's flag, etc. The money here is also the "Quetzal" (which is shortened to "Q" on all signs, receipts, etc. For example, a sign outside a breakfast place will say: "Desayuno Chapin: Q 26".

Anyway, it's a gorgeous bird and can be found throughout the region, but it's tough to spot. It's a rainforest creature and we don't have them up here in the mountains. My best chance to catch one was when I went up to the Mayan Ruins up north in the jungle, that's where all the good animals live, including the monkeys and jaguars and ocelots etc. The south Pacific coast has gator-like animals called Cayman, as well as big ass crocodiles and iguanas. 'Round here we've got plenty of colorful birds though, including some you wouldn't think of like orioles and woodpeckers. In fact I just saw a nesting woodpecker pair return to my back yard the other day! The orioles we see here though are different, they are bright blaze orange and yellow and have very little black. Anyhooo....
I love all birds and bird watching. It must be wonderful with all the colorful creatures in your new home. I hope you see the Quetzal in person someday. Be sure to take a picture of that!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add I have been enjoying hearing about all of your day ones since it is interesting to see how each of us reached the conclusion to stay sober.

I've been thinking about my last day one. After AV quieted down, I wasn't so bright and decided I wanted to have some fun and get drunk. There was nothing special about that particular day 1 (upset stomach, eating mac and cheese), but I do remember the cravings going back into full gear and dealing with them for those two weeks afterwards, which was pure hell. It wasn't worth the several hours of fun for 2 weeks of misery and really solidified my decision not to drink again.

HAF-I hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
Ruby-I am sorry to hear about your day. I have a hug for you (and anyone else in need of one).
I"m sorry. You do realize that's twenty claws waiting for you?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I would love to hop on board - I'm very much looking forward to this weekend, one of only a few dozen in the last 10 years which alcohol wasn't involved, and the very first in my life as a sober man.

My first day one was this Tuesday past, I woke up sitting up in bed, my laptop had crashed to the floor off of my lap, and a bottle of beer spilt all over me. I'm ashamed to admit that my very first action was to panic, pick up the bottle, and try to salvage any remaining beer in there - there were a few drops left. At that moment my mind snapped, and I realised "enough!". I spent the majority of the next three days sitting on a towel with another towel on hand nearby, logged on the SR forum and chatroom typing away. I slowly started coming back to the world of the living towards the end of my second day, cooking for myself for the first time in months, and opening my blinds to sunlight for the first time in weeks on the third day.

As for what I'll be doing this weekend, I'm not entirely sure - Australia has just been hit by two cycones at once! We're not in danger in Brisbane, but have had torrential rains without stopping since yesterday afternoon, so it might be a weekend spent in. I know for sure however, that I'll be attending the meeting in the chatrooms tomorrow

Have a lovely weekend all.

Seb.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you're on high ground Seb

D
Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I"m sorry. You do realize that's twenty claws waiting for you?

This cat is ready to hug you Trach.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I hope all our Australian friends are OK - ALL your cyclones and hurricanes were on the national news here tonight. I hope you are all safe.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

My sister has a yard cat that is half wild. It's pretty, friendly, follows you around for petting. Suddenly, it swats. Needlelike claws.

Cats aren't "domesticated". They're wild animals that we have made acceptable and tolerable in size.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
A bit chilly here, we only hit 70 today.

It's frozen over so hard here I just had to go lift my German Shepherd from the yard to the deck because she couldn't get any footing to make the jump herself - and when she tried to go around she slid down my sloped yard and had a helluva time getting back up it.

At least post some tropical pictures to cheer us up!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

60 F Degrees or so here today. Took a Hike with the Pooch in a new area. Sussed out some new Camping spots where my lil Trailer would make it back into just fine.

Winter hits us again this Saturday, and needed Water will fall in frozen form.

I'll get around to Day 1 Tales later. Too good a Mood thus far. Mood Management is a big part of Sobriety for me.

Meanwhile, gotta Post something with 'Rock' in the Title...

'The House Is Rockin' ~ Stevie Ray Vaughn

-----
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Hello peeps, this will be my 3rd weekend sober. Lets all do a dance!! Take one day at time, it works for me. This weekend I am going to Three meetings. I got some numbers last week, so why not get more.
Have a good night!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Oops

Last edited by Jen73; 02-19-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: doubled posting
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wow - this thread has been busy overnight! Reading everyones posts in bed with a coffee has been both fascinating and intense.

Hey Nons, I have a female GSD also! She's old now but helped me maintain some semblance of normality when I lived and drank alone. Kept me alive, on reflection.

Mesamans words to the effect of no one takes anything from you unless you give them permission has really struck a cord. I'm reflecting lately how I think I used to use alcohol to dampen my anger at my perception of being treated unfairly. Now I'm trying to discern what is beyond my control and what I need to start addressing assertively.

Lots of things happened on my first day. Most salient was that I was surrounded by people that loved me, and this love helped me confront how self destructive and crazy I had become.

Right....more coffee before I get ready for the unmentionable.

Best wishes all,

B
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I'm in too