Notices

Your last day 1 - Weekender Thread Feb 20-22

Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ring ring!!! Climbing aboard, if I may. Trying not to fall on my fellow passengers as I awkwardly fumble my way down to the back seat, where there is plenty of leg room.

Welcome to all my fellow newcomers!! This is a great thread and has helped me stay sober at the weekend - this being my 7th consecutive weekend.

Great idea for a theme Weasel - a sharing of "firsts" when sober. I look forward to hearing from others and will be happy to contribute.

All my best everybody!

B
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
what your last day 1 was like. Let's help newcomers understand we all felt very similar on that last first day and that they CAN stay sober just like us!
I had gone several months without drinking and was enjoying the freedom from the daily obsession, but decided to experiment with 'occassional drinking' to see what happened. What happened was I got much drunker than I predicted on the small amount (compared to my drinking peak) that I bought. (Mrs. Non accused me of having something hidden - my old trick - because she couldn't believe how drunk I got on what I drank.) I felt like total crap in the morning. I called in sick until noon and then went in to work. Aaaaannnndddd.....

Guess what I found for the next several weeks - daily obsession. Do it again, do it again, let's do it again! My AV was a wild man on a mission. I lost more than I expected to lose and gained nothing in the process. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but I can fix that problem.

Don't need it, don't want it, ain't doing it again.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Heading out with Da Pooch for a Guy Lunch, and to take some Red Rock Canyon Pix to post later. Then, to the Dog Park, perhaps, IF enough running around on Public Lands has not occurred prior.

Missus Mesa is going out to Lunch with her Power Drinking, Pot smoking Gal Pal whom I've had to cut outta my Life Socially. She was bringing nada to the Party called 'My Sobriety'. They don't necessarily drink over Lunch, since this Gal works Techno 'stuff' from Home. But, getting high at some future date is the basis of the 'Relationship'. People vote with their Feet. So, I have. It actually works out fine this way, and I get to see new 'stuff' today while Thinking For One. Oh, and the Pooch. Meanwhile, Missus Mesa has cut way back to 'Normie' levels, since her Drinking Buddy In Residence has permanently retired. On Social Engagements - which I choose very carefully - I recall the sage advice of Columnist Ann Landers: 'No one takes advantage of you without your permission'.

Winter Weather coming through here starting this weekend, but blazing Sun right now. Gotta get while the getting's good, eh? I gotta few Tunes in mind to post this Weekend. Tnx Weas!

Laters, Gators...

-----
Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sometimes I leave my hat on just to see my wife get mad and rip it off my head.

In other news, my first last day. Imagine waking up realizing you just pi$$ed away your career and livelihood. Explaining to the wife the night prior why you are home from work 8 hours early. I made the decision right then I was never gonna let alcohol affect my life again. Going from a three case of beer a week and 2 bottles of booze to nothing. The emotions of letting down my wife were way more severe than the feeling of no more booze. Hard to explain. That was 14 months ago. A shame it took something stupid to wake me up. Don't let it happen to you!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Driver, please punch my card, I'll be riding this bus to the end of the route and back.

Don't know why the prospect of a winter getaway with my extended family makes me anxious but didn't get much sleep last night. Tomorrow, flying to 85 degree weather, fleeing the deep freeze for a week. Our rental has wifi so I'll be checking in. First vacation since I quit last October. I will do this. Mexican coca cola, here I come.

This bus is magical, it never runs out of room.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A guy is walking down the street and he sees a head sitting in front of a bar. Yeah, just a head wearing a hat. The head yells up to him, “Hey how about buying me a drink.” The guy looks confused. The head yells up again, “Take me inside and buy me a drink.” In amazement the guy picks up the head, takes it inside and sets it on the bar and asks, “What’ll you have?” to the head. “Just a shot of bourbon.”
He pours the shot into the head’s mouth and POOF a body appears. He gets the head, now with a body, another shot and after drinking it, POOF, an arm pops out to the side. The guy is amazed – so is the head. Next thing you know, the “head” has three more shots – POOF! Each time he takes a drink another body part appears. Now after so many shots the head – now a fully formed person - decides to leave. He gets up to walk away and falls flat on his face – DEAD.

What’s the moral of the story?

He should have quit while he was still ahead.

QUIT WHILE YOU’RE AHEAD!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Old 02-19-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Climbing aboard
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!!

My last Day 1 wasn't a great day, sure in hindsight it lead to all the good stuff and benefits of Sobriety, but at the time, all I had to go on was a leap of faith on what everyone else around me kept saying, and to be honest I had nothing to loose by giving it a go, what was the worst that could happen by not drinking?

It was a Saturday morning, hungover as usual, felt like death, crawled onto my sofa and watched the football scores on TV, this couldn't couldn't go on, something had to change, but I'd been saying that for over a year, and as I reached the evening as my hangover wore off, I felt like a drink again, but not this time, what if I didn't? what if I sat in and watched TV with a cup of tea? what would happen? and so I did, I woke up Sunday with no hangover, when was the last time that happened?!!

The evenings were tough, the cravings too much to bear sometimes, and having no energy to do anything else but go to work and come home to crash over the next few weeks, there were many times I felt like packing it all in, but I pushed through, day after day, week after week, and finally the light at the end of the tunnel finally came!!

Sobriety isn't easy, it takes effort and a willingness to make some very tough decisions about what activities to get involved in and what people to hang out with, but Sobriety can be done.

Let's do this Weekenders!!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by BeefLV99 View Post
Climbing aboard.....this will be my first weekend. I'm on day 4 right now but since I'm your weekend warrior variety, the weekends are always the toughest. I've got a 700 am friendly round of golf saturday and an early tournament on Sunday. I find it easier when I have commitments early on weekends to stay away from binges. Wishing you all the best!
Welcome beef!!! Congrats on day 4. Stick around and join in the weekender fun. Post all you need. The first week can be a lot to take in.

Are you ok with golf and not drinking? That is usually a drinking event for many. Just curious how you are going to handle social aspects to not drinking.

Ken
Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day One for me was Day Zero, Hour Zero, and my body was Ground Zero for the wreckage that alcohol had wrought.

I was laying in my bed in the August heat, my BP presumably spiking to dangerous levels. When I got up to try to use the bathroom, I crapped myself on the way; my body couldn't wait to purge itself of the poison by any measures necessary. I was trying anything to get rid of that feeling, water, Gatorade, flat beer from the night before, but my body was having none of it. I was sick for 3 days afterward, and missed work the next Monday from that Friday night binge.

I don't offer as much support here as I would like, and that's probably because I only deal in absolutes when it comes to drinking or drug use. Either quit, or don't quit. There was no dithering over AA or which recovery method I would use, or how I would handle social situations. It was now Zero hour, Zero Day, and I was standing in the Ground Zero that my life had become. There was no turning back, ever.

I'll be 18 months sober after this weekend.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Newguy... thanks for speaking up and telling the new folks how it is. Congrats on 18 months!

Wow sober weekenders... some really good stories and perspectives to soak up.

I have not really said about my last first day.

My last first day was the day after I wrecked my car driving drunk. I hit someone else s car but no one hurt. I was home after being in jail all night and the fear and pain of knowing what I had done to myself was unbearable. I cannot reconcile the idea of me being so selfish that I could have taken another life. It was more than I can handle and I never felt such an obligation to myself as that day. But I knew that morning that this was different. My mind and what I was thinking was complete. Never again. Ever. I have the CD from the officers dash cam from my arrest that I have in my PC at all times. I watch every now and then when things get uncomfortable. I think back to my day 1 and how I felt. I always come away from that exercise thinking how much I love my life right now. Good and bad days are all so much better than that day 1.

My last day 1 was the most ugliest and most hopeful I ever felt in one moment of time.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm in.
I am the first to admit that I am having a rough time these days. My sisters case is up in court. I can't go into details. As my therapist said to me "What business is it of yours? I know you are worried but you have to distance yourself". My father has been sick and I am worried about him also.

The only part of my life that I am happy with is the people I work with. I love my colleagues!

I went for a facial this evening to take my mind off everything. As I walked home, I went into one of those fancy deli places for something nice to eat. I admit that I was looking at bottles of wine when I heard a voice "oh hello! How are you?" I turned and saw the sweet smiling face of my boss, and wanted to die. No one at work knows about my past and it will stay that way. She told me she was looking for fancy biscuits for a friend, asked me to hold the fort until Tuesday and I smiled and said "no problem" and left empty handed.

I like my job and my colleagues too much to risk losing both.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

into the weekend we go again...

Old 02-19-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

here you go, something a little different, the early norman rockwell kinda guy

Old 02-19-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Great job Tetra and saying NO!!! Keep strong. And so good to see you here and joining in!!

BTW... I also love my job and the people there. Makes a huge difference in life when you can feel that at work.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add that I have had several day ones.

However, Fandy pointed out that I also have had long-ish periods of sobriety. My best was over a year, although I had health problems then, which are now resolved.
So my first day one was to sleep a lot and eat something. Which is okay. And then I just felt like I had been carrying a bag on my shoulders which fell off. I actually told my best friend just last summer about my alcoholim. She said "I had the idea". So we think we hide it, but we don't really.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm in, window seat please want to stick my head out and feel the breeze
Old 02-19-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello all!
Count me in!
So many day ones. Too many day ones.
After portraying Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
during the last uhh... several day ones,
there will be no more of them for me.
'Nuff said.
Wishing every one a safe, sober, rewarding weekend!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks in advance, you guys. Have been slowly building my "sober muscles" the last almost three months. I am going to go with my daughter and friends for a fun trip this weekend and really need to be sober and *there* the whole time. Please send all your good vibes my way.