Notices

Your last day 1 - Weekender Thread Feb 20-22

Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

The temp reading here is now -21F. I dont think I could relapse if I tried. This is the coldest weather I've ever experienced in my lifetime. Going outside to check it out at 4:30 am.

Stay strong, stay sober
Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Gooood Morning!!!!

Wow... so much to comment on... let me just say for now WELCOME to the new folks!! Lots to learn here this weekend and so much great support.

This is a real "reading" thread this week so I will catch up when I get back from the gym.

I am "calling in" today for a mental health day. I get 4 weeks off a year and I have not used any time yet so a day ... make that weekend.. of nurturing is in order.

Some really big things have come to pass and end that consumed me over the last 6 months. So now that things are settled I need to adjust. Realign myself to new goals and reset hopes. I lay in bed smiling as I mentally made my plan. I got to a point where I realized that I had not considered drinking in the mix and how when I tried to consider it I just cannot think that way. My off switch in off and I broke the handle to turn it back on!!!

See you in a bit!!

Ken
Old 02-20-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Sounds good Weasey! mental health days in this kind of weather are not good for me. I have cabin fever as it is with all the cold weather we have had.
with the windchill it is currently -13 here.

this year due to union contract negotiations and changing from a calendar year to an academic year, they gave me an additional 9 paid off, I have to use 6 of them before June 30...but not when I can't go outside! My nose might snap off along with my ears.

better to go to work today as I am busy there. I have lots to do and can use the OT pay.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Awesome, Ken! Enjoy every bit of it.

Thanks so much for sharing, everyone. Each story shows so much courage and strength, definitely lots to celebrate here.

I'll be babysitting my little cousins this weekend for a bit. They've never seen Ghostbusters before, so that's GOT to happen. So many one-liners in that movie! ("Back off, man. I'm a scientist.") lol

Hugs all around
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I hope all our Australian friends are OK - ALL your cyclones and hurricanes were on the national news here tonight. I hope you are all safe.
H&F your weather is making our news! For those of you outside the snow zone have a look at what the snow is doing in the US. These photos blow my mind!

What Record-Breaking Snow Really Looks Like - The Atlantic
Old 02-20-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

A tip for early recovery #1

When you go sober there can be a tendency to go spartan which leaves you feeling like you are missing out in the early days. You aren't missing out by not drinking/not having your DOC but it can feel that way if you "just" have plain water or orange juice or whatever.

Make it something you enjoy, DON'T "just" have any old thing.

If alcohol has been your issue then finding a drink you really enjoy can go a long way to helping you feel better. Have a nice glass to pour it into. Have slices of citrus or whatever floats your boat. Have ice -- ok ok maybe not for those of you where it's icy -- but make your drink special.

Sip it. Savour it. Enjoy.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in, weekenders, with my last Day 1 in terms of being sugar-free.

Ken, thanks a lot for the thread and this great spring-mood pic!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi, MB! I've gone sugar-free, too! Still working on portion size and daily exercise. Seeeing definite improvement!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hmm it's a gentle shower here in blighty … so not much drama here … other than mex-m8 decided to paint his path yesterday and the rain came down !! i havent seen this calamity yet ..

As for me ? well i'm cool got an e-mail through to say i hadn't got the job near hull so i take that as the universe telling me it wasn't quite right …
I might carry on with temping or there is a job with a large automation supplier .. would mean being trained up so as to be at the forefront of technology & automation , which would be pretty cool .

No decision needed to day , im on reserve for painting duties but am reading a book i'd forgotten i'd bought in the meantime .

Need to update the CV and go make a flask of green tea

Catch you later , m
Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

A tip for early recovery #2

Is it cold?

What about some hot chocolate?

Decide on your liquid -- water works believe it or not. Or you can you do milk -- dairy or nut. Have you ever made your own nut milk? It's so easy.

https://vimeo.com/27840577

(I despise peanuts but adore almond, macadamia, sesame and pepita milk.)

Melt a couple of squares of really dark chocolate -- 80% cacao or more, the microwave will do, but melt it don't burn it. Whisk the water or milk and chocolate, if you like it sweet then add a teaspoon of raw honey or half a teaspoon of pure maple syrup or sugar. Whisk again. Heat. Stir.

Close your eyes.

Blow on the top of it to cool it (or stick it out the window if you are in the US).

Sip.

Ahhhhh.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
H&F your weather is making our news! For those of you outside the snow zone have a look at what the snow is doing in the US. These photos blow my mind!

What Record-Breaking Snow Really Looks Like - The Atlantic
Marcher we got another 4 inches last night and another 6 Sunday is planned... We are over 93 inches so far this year. The mountains are simply amazing! I live by the mall here and it's like driving through caverns of snow towers. Kind of fun. People are making snow tunnels over some of the sidewalks. Making it as fun as we can!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

welcome to the weekender Sebastian - stay close and post whenever you feel it or need to, somebody here has got your back
Old 02-20-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

About a month ago my kids schedule changed and I found myself "hanging out" at this conditioning place. Had an epiphany and realized I no longer had an excuse to not exercise. So I took a deep breath and joined. Its a great place with really nice people, but they are all athletes and I'm the token out of shape mom. I've stuck with it since I've got to go to bring the kids and I really do love it. My drinking had been spiraling out of control slowly since abandoning my sobriety last March. It was every other weekend, and then every weekend but occassionally during the week. Once I started working out I would avoid drinking nights before because I wanted to work hard, but that stopped to of course. A few days before my last day 1 I realized I was back on that same hamster wheel. Figuring out where I could stop to get what I wanted to drink that night, just enough, but not too much because I was going to stop again. Someday. I don't remember what I drank that last night, but I cling to how awful I felt last thursday, my last day 1. So I am committed to a life long journey of sobriety and so excited about the possibilities. Signing in for my second sober weekend, happily frozen in Michigan AND sobriety.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Minus 20 here in NE Ohio. I have my coal stove cranking. It is up to the task. I need to turn it down a scootch, it say it's 88 in here. Still frozen pipes in bathroom. I hope they don't burst. I have bottled water to flush the john. I keep it for just such emergencies. Dog didn't want to go with me to the store for the paper. First time ever. She lives to go -- but not today. I am glad she has some sense.

think spring

I planted over two hundred bulbs out front last fall. Each time I go out to feed the birds I think of them under all of that crusted snow. I think of them every day. Spring will come and it's going to be flower fireworks for sure.

Coldest day of my long life. Still, I think it's kinda cool . . . . in a cold sort of way, and again, it's toasty in here. :-)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I'm here. I hope to be sober this weekend.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Do I have to tell you 101 times that wool does not go into the dryer?

100 times isn't enough? Every fing time.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I don't understand, Brain. Could you explain it one more time?

Good Morning Enders!!!

Off to work to hopefully get through the day and then start the weekend. Lots and lots of numbers and lots of forensic bookkeeping....and even though I love numbers, I have been leaving work with a headache all week. Hoping I get things to balance today.

The post box had many cards in it yesterday. Only the one from Big was from SR folks, the rest were random strangers.
This one from Finland cracked me up....

Google translate says this one says:
'The friendship is filled with the heat'

So all you folks on the east coast of the US, know that our collective SR friendship will keep you warm!

Have a good day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002 (300x212).jpg (78.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I like the title of this weekend's thread: "Your last day 1." I made it almost through last weekend until Sunday. Then I drank. Then again on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Only 2 drinks last night, as opposed to the previous 3 days of bingeing.

It is a relief knowing there are others who have had more than 1 day 1.

Wishing everyone on the east coast some warmth! And hoping for some sort of precipitation here in the SW part of Colorado where we desperately need moisture!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good morning wknders! Hope your staying warm!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

congratulations to all you feminists out there, home economics is no longer taught in schools because it was sexist. Now men have to teach their wives how to do things - and it ain't easy sometimes. They just don't wanna listen. Putting three loads of laundry in the washer thinking you are saving water is one of those things too. And don't get me started on loading the dishwasher. I wanna put an out of order sign on it so I can hand wash the dishes 1. to save water, 2 so they get clean every time...

So yes Olive. I guess I have to say it one more time. And the response was, "Do your own laundry." No problem, I do do my own laundry. But then don't do it for me thinking you are doing me a favor if your are going to ruin things.

I'm over it now. It's cold again but not as cold as the midwest. Still, once it's below zero, it doesn't matter much I suppose - unless your eyeballs freeze.